With the below script, you can generate your own cross-stitch patterns for free (in GIMP).
I was watching people cross stitching on twitch.com and decided to do a plug-in/script for people to use to cross-stitch.
Use this as an alternative of programs like Winstitch (if you can't afford it). Hope you guys like it. If you find it useful, I'd love to hear from you about it. Also there's a Beads pattern script which is an a variation from this script intended for perlers.
Download Download (for version 2, if you wish to manually change one or more DMC colors after the automatic process, you can use "Cross Stitch DMC replace color" script found here --> http://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=520) Script Menu location: Python-Fu/Cross Stitch...
Script Options Instructions:
1. Open up any image, with an active/selected layer.
2. Run Script (Python-Fu/Cross Stitch..). Adjust options.
3. Wait for script to run (it'll show progress bar).
4. After script is done you should see 2 new images (1 is the cross-stitch pattern, the other is DMC thread information [also used to name the layers in the cross-stitch pattern image).
5. Enjoy cross-stitching! If it works for you, I'd love to see your final real life cross-stitches (share on this thread if you'd like).
Sample original: Sample cross stitched pattern Sample thread info image Screen shot of viewing cross-stitch pattern while in GIMP. Note: there was a white layer of 30 opacity added over top of stitch pattern to allow stitch symbols to be visible (even when over black). If you wish you could toggle this layer's visibility off.
Sample pattern with white layer turned off. Video clip of me using the script in GIMP
GIMP 2.10 screenshot (version 3 of script) While on cross-stitching related topic, you might be interested in http://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=518&p=3347
Or if you want to be able to manually choose your DMC for each color instead of this automatic method: http://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=520
#SpecialThanks to netizens who have shared this Plug-in/Topic: