It is currently 27 Jan 2022, 15:20

• Featuring Members' Images •
Could be related to 'Designing a Capitalized Custom Font from Scratch in Gimp 2.10 (Part 2)'
gnerd
Steve Reid
skinnyhouse
Krikor
skinnyhouse

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Designing a Capitalized Custom Font from Scratch in Gimp 2.10 (Part 2)

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2305 Post(s)

Designing a Capitalized Custom Font from Scratch in Gimp 2.10 (Part 2)

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 08 Dec 2018, 16:54

Building_Fonts_Part_02.pdf #
(116.71 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Now that I have a vertical upright, the next thing to do is to create a shape for use with horizontal lines in characters.

Firstly, I double clicked on the path tool in the main toolbox and made the horizontal shape – my first attempt using four anchor points to define the shape and a fifth anchor (also holding down the Ctrl key) to close the shape.
01_Four_Anchors.png
01_Four_Anchors.png # (5.17 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Then I tweaked the path shape (by moving the mouse over the top path segment and dragging the line slightly to reveal the control handles).
02_Handles.png
02_Handles.png # (8.25 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I renamed the new path (if I don’t do it straight away I know I will regret it later) and added a new layer to the image before filling the shape and cropping the layer to its content.
03_Filled.png
03_Filled.png # (7.14 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Next I slid the horizontal bar up to the vertical bar to try out the shape of the Capital ‘L’.
04_Try.png
04_Try.png # (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I wasn’t too keen on the result so I used the Flip tool from the main toolbox to flip the layer on its horizontal axis (the default setting).
05_Final.png
05_Final.png # (6.62 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I was happier with this outcome but still needed to add a little decoration. I duplicated a copy of the finial layer that I used at the top of the vertical bar shape and rotated that layer through 90 degrees using:
Layer>>Transform>>Rotate 90° clockwise.
06_Sm_Finial.png
06_Sm_Finial.png # (1.96 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I then re-positioned this finial layer over the horizontal bar until I was happy and then merged the two layers – renaming the resulting layer.
07_Add_Finial.png
07_Add_Finial.png # (1.81 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I duplicated the two layers containing the horizontal and vertical elements, merged them together and renamed this new layer as my ‘L’ layer.
08_L.png
08_L.png # (3.53 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The following two images show numbered views of the elements all on separate layers and their layer names.
09_Elements.png
09_Elements.png # (54.89 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
10_Layer_Dock.png
10_Layer_Dock.png # (20.89 KiB) Viewed 2205 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
1 Capital I layer (I)
2 Capital L layer (L)
3 Top finial for the vertical bar layer (UC V Bar Upper Finial)
4 Bottom finial for the vertical bar layer (UC V Bar Lower Finial)
5 Finial for the horizontal bar layer (UC H Bar Finial)
6 Lower horizontal bar [not used] layer (UC Lower H Bar 1)
7 Lower horizontal bar layer (UC Lower H Bar 2)
8 Vertical bar layer (UC V Bar)
9 Vertical bar base without finials layer (UC V Bar)

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP