It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 17:08

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Colour explosion/Abstract Pixels Plug-in

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
tim
GL Blogger

Colour explosion/Abstract Pixels Plug-in

Post#1 by tim » 08 Jan 2019, 03:18

This plug-in is extremely slow because it has to draw a line of a certain width (anywhere from 1px to 3px)
for each pixel of your image.
abs_pixels.py
version 1. Tested and ran in GIMP 2.8 because of extreme delay in GIMP 2.10 (that it would pause between paint strokes)
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
abs_pixels.py
version 3. for GIMP 2.10 delay bug, uses stroke paths instead of paintbrush, it's still slower than 2.8 but at least it doesn't do the 2.10 delay now
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Plug-in Menu Location: Python-Fu/Abs Pixels...

Instructions:
1. Have an image with a layer of the image you'd like to create Colour Explosion/Abstract Pixel of.
2. You might want to open Window/Dockable Dialogs/Error Console so that you don't get annoying pop-ups but see messages in error console.
3. Change your brush to "2. Hardness 100" unless of course you want to experiment with other brushes but I just use "2. Hardness 100" because I want a solid line to represent each pixel.
4. Run plug-in Python-Fu/Abs Pixels.... There are no options so it just runs and outputs messages.
4. That's it. Now go take a nap or two because it's really slow, it'll print out every 1000 lines/pixels it's done with in error Console so you get a good idea of how far it's coming along.

Sample results:
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by RJKD » 09 Jan 2019, 14:29

When you say extremely slow, just how slow do you mean T? I'm up to 84000 after around 4 hours. Also when I launched the plug-in it created two separate black images, is this usual?
At the moment I'm not really seeing much in terms of brush strokes, should I just be patient?

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 09 Jan 2019, 16:55

2? it should only create one black image and a transparent layer on top to draw. Be patient. I am running one that is high res and it's taking 4 to 5 days...a lower res could take 10 hrs
aka Tin
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by RJKD » 09 Jan 2019, 17:08

cool, thanks T (I closed one of the images and both crashed so I'm starting over, I think it's worth it, I really like the images you've posted).

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 09 Jan 2019, 19:49

If you like what you see then it's definitely worth the wait, plus that's where the real excitement is (the WAIT).
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#6 by Pat625 » 10 Jan 2019, 06:11

Tin, is this a 2.8 only script?

tim
GL Blogger

Post#7 by tim » 10 Jan 2019, 06:30

It'll run in 2.10 but it's super slow on 2.10 I don't know why it delays/pauses when it tries to use paintbrush
aka Tin

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#8 by RJKD » 10 Jan 2019, 11:19

Can'y believe it, after nearly getting my image at 18 hours, Windoze decides to install updates and restart my machine grrrrrrr!!!!
Take 3.
btw T I had two images because I didn't think the plug-in had fired up so clicked it again duh.

Steve Reid
Script Coder

Post#9 by Steve Reid » 10 Jan 2019, 15:21

Thanks Tim for another innovative script :award_trophy: , been playing all morning. Both results below took just over 30 minutes to run on a 256 pixel square image. I've been testing first on a scaled down version (100 x 100) which gives an idea of the outcome in a couple of minutes. Might try a couple of larger images and let them run overnight. I like quite a lot of the images when seen at the point of being updated like the last screen shot below, looks like an asteroid hit.
mk3.png
mk3.png (322.39 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
mk4.png
mk4.png (237.84 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (201.39 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#10 by tim » 10 Jan 2019, 16:12

Yeah testing with scaled down images to have an idea of what you want to generate as a good hi-res copy is a great idea. Glad you enjoy it... I really like preview results of your scaled down results.
aka Tin

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP