It is currently 07 Apr 2020, 01:23

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Colouring B&W photos

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Re: Colouring B&W photos

Post#11 by RJKD » 27 Dec 2017, 17:22

Thankyou David, your response made perfect sense. I'm learning a lot from this tutorial as I've only ever used channels once before.
I was able to make my selection by subtracting from the teeth and gum channels to give me the lips outlined as a selection. :thumbsup:

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#12 by RJKD » 27 Dec 2017, 18:07

Really happy with a quick run through, thankyou so much David, a whole new world has opened for me.
Me_restored_to_color.jpg
Me_restored_to_color.jpg (131.6 KiB) Viewed 791 times

david
Forum Member

Post#13 by david » 27 Dec 2017, 20:18

RJKD,

Congratulations! An excellent result. I'm glad the tutorial is of use to you.
I am sure it can be improved, but it is the method that works for me and I made the tutorial in the hope that it will help others.

david.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#14 by gnerd » 03 Jan 2018, 04:29

Wow incredible work on these beautiful photos, thank you so much for this incredible tutorial!!

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#15 by oldmangrumpy » 03 Jan 2018, 05:16

David - given the wonderful results above, I have just downloaded your tut. Now to find all those very old photos.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

david
Forum Member

Post#16 by david » 04 Jan 2018, 09:58

OMG,

I look forward to seeing your photos. With your ability, I am sure you will produce better results than me.
Any improvements you find to the tutorial will be most welcome.

david.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#17 by oldmangrumpy » 05 Jan 2018, 01:37

David - for my first attempt at your tut, I chose a 50 year old photo of myself when I had just arrived in Oz to work in a large bank. I even found an old banking chamber to add as background.

The tut is excellent in itself David as it features and describes a 'generic' technique. So thanks very much for providing it and, by the way, this was the first time I had ever used 'channels'. So thanks for that too!

First the original B&W photo then the 'manicured' result from the tut which now it is posted, I have noticed that some of my selections were not as exact as I thought :shock: -
Attachments
omg_young_orig.png
omg_young_orig.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 888 times
omg_young.png
omg_young.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 888 times
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning

david
Forum Member

Post#18 by david » 05 Jan 2018, 10:27

OMG,

An excellent result on this handsome young man!
I can't say that I notice any great inaccuracies in your selections, but the idea of storing the selections as channels was that previous selections are used to define the edges of the next. It also means that adjustments (brightness, saturation, smoothing, etc.) can be applied to individual areas.
It was a difficult decision as to whether the selections should be stored as channels in their "unexpurgated" form, or feathered before saving to a channel. A case in point was the young girl with pearls in her hair - the pearls I could only feather by 2px, but the outline of the hair I needed to feather by 5px to avoid a hard transition with the background.
Of course, I could save the channels in both forms and confuse myself even more!
Having the selections stored as channels in the .xcf file means that if you decide to revisit the picture, you can make the same precise selections and make changes very quickly.

david.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#19 by Issabella » 05 Jan 2018, 16:30

David, your tutorials are superb! I want to try it too. I'll let you know my results. :photosmiley:
OMG, you did it great. :gimp_clap:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#20 by oldmangrumpy » 06 Jan 2018, 08:13

David - thanks for the compliment ... 50 years on and no hair!

Issabella - thank you too.

Now for my second attempt; needed some extra work to handle the wispy hair but that just helps build and refine the workflow.
Attachments
face_colouring_redhead-bw.png
face_colouring_redhead-bw.png (586.16 KiB) Viewed 839 times
face_colouring_redhead.png
face_colouring_redhead.png (1010.35 KiB) Viewed 839 times

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP