2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font Effects Pack Bumpmap Option Mini Tut (Gimp 2.10)

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font Effects Pack Bumpmap Option Mini Tut (Gimp 2.10)

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 29 Oct 2018, 16:53

Tut for Bump Option.pdf
(662.94 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Just in case anyone would like a little help with this option I have written this quick tutorial.

The bumpmap option in the CF Effects pack is a quick way of adding a little texture to characters in a custom font. You could apply a texture to an image before using it to create the characters from or you could use the Effects filter to add texture on the fly. You certainly wouldn’t want to add texture to individual character layers – would you?

Obviously you will need a suitable image to use as a basis for your texture – there are lots freely available to use online and you may already have a folder full of suitable images.

Whenever I play about with options I use a small number of characters – or even, as here, just one character – to test things out.

The plain red test character:
Plain_A.png
Plain_A.png (26.53 KiB) Viewed 889 times
I think my example image (uncut turf) came originally from pixabay.com. I have desaturated the image in Gimp (Colors>>Desaturate>>Desaturate) and scaled it proportionally (Image>>Scale Image) to match the height of the custom font. The height here needed to be set to 719 pixels.
Turf_Scaled.jpg
Turf_Scaled.jpg (215.67 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Not every textured image requires scaling; bump-mapping will use whatever is available to it.

The one I chose is quite a busy image (many images will work without any adjustment – try them out first) so I used the Threshold option (Color>>Threshold) to create stronger textured lines (settings shown below).
THreshold.jpg
THreshold.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 889 times
The result of applying the Threshold adjustment settings:
Turf_Threshold.jpg
Turf_Threshold.jpg (290.95 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Add the image to the custom font layers with Edit>>Copy (in the bumpmap image view) and then
Edit>>Paste as>>New Layer in Place (custom font layers).
Layers.JPG
Layers.JPG (17.44 KiB) Viewed 889 times
In order for the Effects filter to use a textured bumpmap, the bumpmap layer must be the first non-character layer (ie the first layer not ending with .png) in the layer stack. It does not have to be the top-most layer or indeed a visible layer in order to work.

Call up the custom fonts Effects dialog:
(Filters>>Custom Fonts Tools>>Custom Font Effects Only v 0.0x)
The version number you have will probably be version 0.04 – that will work fine.
Change ‘Add Bumpmapped Texture’ to ‘Yes’ and set the ‘Bumpmap depth percentage’ to 15 or whatever number suits you. By all means play about with the other options.
When you are ready, click on ‘OK’ and let the filter do its thing – the process is quite fast.
Effects_Dialog.jpg
Effects_Dialog.jpg (179.42 KiB) Viewed 889 times
The filter outcome.
Textured_A.png
Textured_A.png (201.46 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Edit:
And with shine and emboss effects added too:
Effects_A.png
Effects_A.png (177.55 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Last edited by skinnyhouse on 30 Oct 2018, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Forum Member

Post#2 by Tom » 29 Oct 2018, 21:16

Thanks for the tutorial.
I like the Threshold adjustment tip.
Good to know.

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by RJKD » 30 Oct 2018, 15:03

Looking forward to downloading all your hard work and getting going again, thanx for the tut.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by Pat625 » 31 Oct 2018, 02:18

Skinnyhouse, that bump map texture made such a difference. Thank you for your tutorial and information!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 31 Oct 2018, 14:48

Thank you Tom, RJKD and Pat.
RJKD noticed that you had taken on the challenge of Gimp 2.10. It may not be quite there yet - but it is the future. Best of luck - we could do with some Sheffield Steel in the Custom Font construction yard.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP