2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Custom Fonts for GIMP

Resources used in GIMP that aren't Python Fu or Scheme Fu (files other than .py or .scm files)
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2099 Post(s)

Re: Custom Fonts for GIMP

Post#401 by skinnyhouse » 07 Aug 2018, 12:00

Lovely font Issa - the blue makes it really special - and as usual an interesting font shape to complement.

Ella - agree with Issa that MareroQ's Font-to-Layers script will make life even easier for you in creating your fonts. In my last font I found that the letter j was clipped and also the copyright and registered trademark symbols were also clipped.

There is nothing in the script to make this happen - must be the original font and how it handles the left and/or right character margins. You just have to check the file with a sample output.

Have fun.

Ella
Tutorial Creator
8th Place
1730 Post(s)

Post#402 by Ella » 07 Aug 2018, 15:34

Thank you for the explanation, Skinnyhouse. Using the Font-to-Layers script I noticed the clipped letters.

What I wanted to ask is, when you make a text with the new created font in a new document, do you have to place each letter one by one. Or is there something you can just type your text with the keyboard and Gimp automatically uses the new font?
Sorry, but it's difficult to explain my question really well :oops:

BTW I've edited the space layer in my font.
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3538 Post(s)

Post#403 by Issabella » 07 Aug 2018, 17:15

Ella, go to filters, Text, Font to layers (you'll get each letter and symbols in a isolated layer) Have you installed the script I posted? if so, don't worry that each letter or symbol you chose previously will come quickly. Only check the letters I said before just in case they can be wrong cropped. Try it! :thumbsup:
Running the script you get all of the letters at the same level (no guides are needed) :D
Sorry, I understand now your request:
Yes, look for Custom Font Script, Tin created it to write your text by choosing the custom font created and it is really quick. You have them just in first post of this thread to download.
Also, there is another one Script-fu named Custom Font on Path. With it, you get the text following the path previously created in a canvas.
Go to resources and you will see them. Luck!
Attachments
Captura1.JPG
Captura1.JPG # (34.26 KiB) Viewed 4555 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Captura2.JPG
Captura2.JPG # (24.34 KiB) Viewed 4555 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Ella
Tutorial Creator
8th Place
1730 Post(s)

Post#404 by Ella » 08 Aug 2018, 08:33

Thank you again for the explanation, Issa. The font-to-layers I'd already installed. Now searching for Tin's script and the custom font to path. And then find the time to practice. Also thanks for the screenshots, they help a lot. I don't now why, but the more I read about all this, the more confused I get :hammer_head: :oops:

Well, I believe I will make it... Just take my time :)
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2099 Post(s)

Post#405 by skinnyhouse » 08 Aug 2018, 10:48

Wondered whether to create a topic for plain white custom font faces to share here on GL? Folk can sort out any issues with clipping, spacing etc before they upload (smaller file sizes) and save everybody doing exaclty the same thing on their own. What do you think? Any issues to consider?

Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4509 Post(s)

Post#406 by Pat625 » 08 Aug 2018, 12:37

Sounds like a good idea.

Alan
Forum Member
4th Place
2524 Post(s)

Post#407 by Alan » 08 Aug 2018, 13:01

For the friends of Gimp learn.
Here another custom font.
Attachments
Gimp_Alan_Arial Heavy_2_GL.jpg
Gimp_Alan_Arial Heavy_2_GL.jpg # (65.96 KiB) Viewed 4523 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Gimp_Alan_Arial Heavy_2.7z #
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

Alan
Forum Member
4th Place
2524 Post(s)

Post#408 by Alan » 08 Aug 2018, 13:15

Another custom font.
Attachments
Gimp_Pix_Maia_4_GL.jpg
Gimp_Pix_Maia_4_GL.jpg # (70.25 KiB) Viewed 4521 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Gimp_Pix_Maia_4.xcf #
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 86 times

Alan
Forum Member
4th Place
2524 Post(s)

Post#409 by Alan » 08 Aug 2018, 13:37

Here a watermelon custom font.
Attachments
Gimp_PSe_Sonar_1_Accent SF_Regular_GL.jpg
Gimp_PSe_Sonar_1_Accent SF_Regular_GL.jpg # (55.81 KiB) Viewed 4519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Gimp_PSe_Sonar_1_Accent SF_Regular.7z #
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

Alan
Forum Member
4th Place
2524 Post(s)

Post#410 by Alan » 08 Aug 2018, 13:58

Here a Leopard custom font.
Attachments
Gimp_Pix_Josun_1A_GL.jpg
Gimp_Pix_Josun_1A_GL.jpg # (50.23 KiB) Viewed 4568 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Gimp_Pix_Josun_1A.xcf #
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 98 times

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic