It is currently 10 Apr 2020, 06:45

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How to Design an Autumn Background

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
Pat625
Tutorial Creator

How to Design an Autumn Background

Post#1 by Pat625 » 26 Sep 2017, 05:00

Pat625_Autumn Scene.jpg
Pat625_Autumn Scene.jpg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

How to Design An Autumn Background
Pat625
GimpChat.com & GimpLearn.net

References: Create a simple Autumn Background by Conbagui
https://www.deviantart.com/popular-all- ... q=conbagui

How to design An Autumn Background by Dagubi (Photoshop Tutorial)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUmvMWfjCZs

Step 1. Start Gimp. Open new image 1920 x 1080 px with background white. Place Horizontal & Vertical guides at 50% to define the center of image. Change Foreground Color to: ffc00. Change the Background color to: ffc662. Select FG to BG (RBG) from the Gradient Dialog. From the Tools Options Dialog, select Linear Shape & 100% Opacity.
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG (59 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 2. Add a transparent layer, named “Brightness”. Change the foreground color to fffe96. Select the paintbrush tool & select “Hardness 075”. Make size 2500 px. Aspect ratio 0.30. Click 3 times on the bottom center edge to paint. ( I found 3 times too bright for me, I used 2 clicks. (Adjust to your own preference).
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (65.87 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 3. Create another transparent layer. Name it “Sun”. Place a Horizontal Guideline at 800. Make Foreground color: fff79f. Brush: Hardness 100 with size 1100 px . Aspect Ratio: 0.10. Paint where shown (intersection of 960 and 800).
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG (58.76 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 4. Change Sun layer’s Blend Mode to Grain Merge. Duplicate the layer and place the copy under the original sun Layer. On the Sun Copy layer: Filters/Blur/Gaussian Blur 300 px.
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 4.JPG (62.69 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 5. Place new transparent layer on top & name it “Grass”. Foreground color: 632800. Brush: Hardness 0.50, size 200 px. Click on Lt. bottom corner, press/hold Shift key and drag cursor to the bottom Rt. Corner. Click to paint the Line.
Capture 5.JPG
Capture 5.JPG (70.16 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 6. Use the Grass Brushes to give a grassy field look. Start with size 185 px, Dynamics Random Size, Brush Spacing about 50. You may need to vary these settings depending upon your choice of brushes. Use a couple different brushes to make more realistic. Duplicate the Grass layer and use the Flip Tool to flip the copy layer horizontally. Merge the Grass layers.
Capture 6.JPG
Capture 6.JPG (74.74 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 7. Open as layers a “Leafless Tree” image. I placed it under the Grass layer so that the bottom of the tree looked more realistic than if on top of the grass. Layer to Image Size the tree layer.
Capture 7.JPG
Capture 7.JPG (62.1 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 8. Create new transparent layer on top. Name “Leaves”. Use the Leaf Brushes: Size about 70 px; Dynamics, Random Size/Angle; Jitter 20; Brush Spacing 150. Paint mostly under the tree, and to the left as though a breeze is taking the leaves in that direction. Alternate your brushes so you have different shapes and sizes. Duplicate the layer, switch Blend Mode to Subtract. Reduce the Opacity to 40. (This allows the leaves to have color, but keeps them from being too bright.)
Capture 8.JPG
Capture 8.JPG (84.41 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Step 9. Open a silhouette (from a transparent png or xcf file.) Place it where you prefer. Adjust the size with the scale tool. Layer to image size when finished with the silhouette.

Use any font that you prefer, adjust size, etc. for your image. Best to make it your top layer.
Remember: The size of the brushes, tree, grasses, brightness are stated here as guidelines. Vary them to your preference. You can also change the order of the layers in the stack if it seems better to you.

Experiment! That way you will learn and have fun doing it!
Capture 9.JPG
Capture 9.JPG (92.82 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Included in the zip folder:
PDF of Tutorial
Brushes for Leaves and Grass: Place in your user’s\Preference\Brushes folder
Silhouettes of Couple and Trees: Place in your user’s\Preference\Patterns folder or folder
you keep extra Gimp images, etc.
Dynamics: Random Size
Random Size/Angle Place in your user’s\Preference\Dynamics folder

(you may use your own of any of the above if preferred)
Attachments
Pat__Autumn Scene Tut..zip
(3.49 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by Pat625 on 08 Oct 2018, 06:05, edited 4 times in total.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#2 by gnerd » 26 Sep 2017, 19:02

Yay, i'm on it, thank you Eddie it looks to be another beautiful tutorial!! I to met my husband in the fall!

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#3 by gnerd » 26 Sep 2017, 22:50

Thank you Eddie for another wonderful tutorial, I always learn from your work!!
Attachments
simply autumn background.png
simply autumn background.png (401.49 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#4 by gnerd » 27 Sep 2017, 02:47

Thank you Eddie, it was another fun one to make :gimp_clap: . Just finished up the page curl tutorial that had me in stitches with my no skills at IWarp :lol:

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#5 by RJKD » 27 Sep 2017, 14:16

Thank you for yet another great tutorial Eddie, I really enjoyed this one.
Autumn_Ed_tut.jpg
Autumn_Ed_tut.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#6 by gnerd » 27 Sep 2017, 14:32

Beautiful RJKD!!

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#7 by Issabella » 27 Sep 2017, 15:44

I like your results Nancy and RJKD. Well done! :gimp_clap:
I finished mine, too. Thanks a lot for this nice beautiful tutorial. I love the colours,.
Attachments
Autumn New Card.jpg
Autumn New Card.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#8 by gnerd » 27 Sep 2017, 17:46

That's beautiful Issabella, I agree fall colors are just so beautiful!! Well done :gimp_clap:

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#9 by RJKD » 27 Sep 2017, 17:59

Lovely outcome Issabella, thankyou 😊

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by Pat625 » 28 Sep 2017, 01:09

Very nice, Issabella, and I love the comment also.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP