2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Parallax Animation Script for GIMP

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4500 Post(s)

Re: Parallax Animation Script for GIMP

Post#11 by Pat625 » 11 Feb 2017, 02:04

What is an animation frame? How is that different? I keep saving the file as a .gif but it will not play. When called up to open later, it looks like a single layer. I did this several times because initially I thought I forgot to check the animation button but that is not the problem.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4500 Post(s)

Post#12 by Pat625 » 11 Feb 2017, 02:55

Parallax Valentine 1.gif
Parallax Valentine 1.gif # (7 MiB) Viewed 4368 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Thank you Tin, for such a nice script. You make it so much easier for us to make nice images. You are a "Script Genie".

tim
GL Blogger
1st Place
5533 Post(s)

Post#13 by tim » 11 Feb 2017, 03:22

Pat625 wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 02:04
What is an animation frame? How is that different? I keep saving the file as a .gif but it will not play. When called up to open later, it looks like a single layer. I did this several times because initially I thought I forgot to check the animation button but that is not the problem.
It's the same as before just on a new image now so you don't have to delete your original layers.. you still have to rename layers appropriately and export as animated gif.
aka Tin
World Food Program | Good Deeds Forum

roboknight
Newly Registered
129th Place
1 Post(s)

Post#14 by roboknight » 01 Feb 2021, 20:31

Thanks for providing your script. I attempted to use it, but found out that Ubuntu is now, after all this time, attempting to get rid of Python 2. So, just to use the script, I had to build Gimp from source. I decided however that I was going to attempt to use the latest Git source, so that means I'm using a bleeding edge 2.99 version of Gimp. In the process, I also found that they don't really support gimpfu any more, and are in the process of trying to convert everything to Python3. That being the case, I converted the script to Python3. Anybody that is using the latest bleeding edge Gimp can try it. I also attempted to add a bug fix into the script. It tended to have those frames that were copied from in the background. So, I turned OFF the original layers, so they weren't visible while it was constructing the video. I'm providing the script here, but it *IS NOT* polished. Negative steps scroll left, positive steps scroll right. For images around 800x600, 10 seems to be good. It creates a NEW image with all of the animation frames. Just export this when its finished. Large images and many frames can generate 1.2GB output. So, ffmpeg is your friend when you really want to view or USE the scene, but this SHOULD be fine for a lot of simple game screen generation.

To use:
1. Create your scene with 4 layers (the bottom most one is non-moving), the one above that is the slowest background, and so on.
2. Navigate to Filters->Animation->Parallax. It should pop up a dialog asking about step size. Click OK and it should create a new image.
3. Export the new image to .gif. Using the time between frames, you can adjust the speed. If you need to adjust the STEP size,
then you'll have to adjust the script (the current default is 10, so moving right. 10 should work for an image size of 800x600, so if your
image is SMALLER, user a smaller step size. If it is LARGER, you might want to go with a larger step size. The minimum is -500, but
that isn't likely very practical. And the maximum of 500 isn't likely very practical either.

AGAIN, this only works with bleeding edge Gimp, so if you try to use it on 2.10.x or something like that, and it doesn't work, well, there's your problem. If you have some other, earlier version, you are likely better off using the above script.
parallax.py #
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Attachments
test.gif
test.gif # (180.66 KiB) Viewed 2846 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Last edited by roboknight on 01 Feb 2021, 22:21, edited 3 times in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
17th Place
503 Post(s)

Post#15 by gimpturkey » 01 Feb 2021, 21:31

oh my god parallax When will the number of layers stop constantly increasing? :hammer_head: stop parallax stop
GIMP Learn rocks...

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
17th Place
503 Post(s)

Post#16 by gimpturkey » 02 Feb 2021, 10:58

Pat625 wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 02:55
Parallax Valentine 1.gif

Thank you Tin, for such a nice script. You make it so much easier for us to make nice images. You are a "Script Genie".
This is very nice. I want to learn. Gimp It is very nice to learn in the animation world
GIMP Learn rocks...

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
17th Place
503 Post(s)

Post#17 by gimpturkey » 02 Feb 2021, 11:44

GimpDersleriNasılyapılır wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 10:58
Pat625 wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 02:55
Parallax Valentine 1.gif

This is very nice. I want to learn. Gimp It is very nice to learn in the animation world
Last edited by gimpturkey on 01 Mar 2021, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger
1st Place
5533 Post(s)

Post#18 by tim » 02 Feb 2021, 12:05

Instructions says "create 3 layers" you have way more that's why it doesn't work.
aka Tin
World Food Program | Good Deeds Forum

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
17th Place
503 Post(s)

Post#19 by gimpturkey » 02 Feb 2021, 12:14

tim wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 12:05
Instructions says "create 3 layers" you have way more that's why it doesn't work.
Sorry. I couldn't. I tried it with 3 layers. but the articles are blurry.I want to learn.
My ears don't hear enough. That's why I had to quit. I used to be a graphic designer in my old job. I decided to learn Gimp at home. I researched a lot and found you. You are giving me very good education. I want to continue. :learned_something:
Last edited by gimpturkey on 01 Mar 2021, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
17th Place
503 Post(s)

Post#20 by gimpturkey » 02 Feb 2021, 14:58

GimpDersleriNasılyapılır wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 12:14
tim wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 12:05
Sorry. I couldn't. I tried it with 3 layers. but the articles are blurry.I want to learn.
My ears don't hear enough. That's why I had to quit. I used to be a graphic designer in my old job. I decided to learn Gimp at home. I researched a lot and found you. You are giving me very good education. I want to continue. :learned_something:
Is there anything tutorial about Parallax?
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic