2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Quick Mask tip

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
BrianStu
Forum Member

Quick Mask tip

Post#1 by BrianStu » 11 Mar 2018, 14:03

I've been doing a lot of touching up old photos recently.
One of the best methods I've found for removing spots and scratches etc is the "Heal Selection" tool, pre selecting a number of areas using the Quick Mask tool.

When the Quick Mask is selected (bottom left corner of image window) the whole image is covered by a red translucent mask.
Using a foreground colour of White, you paint on the bits you want to select, which go clear. When you then uncheck the Quick Mask tool, the areas you painted are selected.

This is a very easy way of selecting multiple things, except for 1 thing. It's sometimes difficult to see parts of your image through the red mask, especially dark areas. OK you can change the opacity of the mask from 50% to say 20%, but then it's difficult to see the mask in lighter areas. You can change the mask colour, but that doesn't help.
mask.png
mask.png # (601.31 KiB) Viewed 2172 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
I found an easier way is to do the inverse!.
before clicking the Quick Mask button, select the whole area, or select invert. Now the whole mask is clear over your image. Instead of painting foreground colour White on the mask, paint Black. Now the bits you paint appear as the red mask, it is much easier to see your image this way. When you uncheck the Quick Mask button remember that the selection is everything which you haven't painted, so simply invert the selection "Select Invert". Now your painted bits are selected.
mask-invert.png
mask-invert.png # (729 KiB) Viewed 2172 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
*********************** Just remember the final step is to invert the selection *************************

Hope this helps at least 1 person.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#2 by Issabella » 11 Mar 2018, 14:10

That is brilliant! I have to test it but before doing it I think that your way is great! Thank you so much BrianStu. :thank_you:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Steve Reid
Script Coder

Post#3 by Steve Reid » 11 Mar 2018, 19:13

Thanks Brian, an excellent tip :thumbsup:
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#4 by tim » 12 Mar 2018, 05:47

Just tried it...pretty cool tip!
aka Tin

david
Forum Member

Post#5 by david » 12 Mar 2018, 15:30

An alternative method I use:
Make a new transparent layer, paint over the unwanted features, using a colour which is a good contrast with the background. Select by Colour on your transparent layer. Select image layer and use heal selection.
Then Ctrl/Shift/A removes the selection. Select the transparent layer and Delete will remove your painting.

david.

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#6 by RJKD » 12 Mar 2018, 17:58

Great tips BrianStu and david, thankyou.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#7 by Pat625 » 12 Mar 2018, 18:52

I do not seem to get along with the Quick mask, usually make a mistake for some reason. I have used David's method in the past (from a tutorial but can't remember where I read it) and it works quite well.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic