2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Removing Pattern from Photo

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
david
Forum Member

Removing Pattern from Photo

Post#1 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 11:12

I found a photograph on the internet of my local market town from around the turn of the 20th century.
It has a pattern which I assume is the result of a scan of an embossed print surface. I have tried the G'MIC Fourier Transform plug-in without great success. The best I have achieved is with anisotropic smoothing followed by sharpening, but still not very good.

Advice and suggestions most gratefully received!!!

david.
Attachments
Mold_High_Street.jpg
Mold_High_Street.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
Mold_High_Street_1.jpg
Mold_High_Street_1.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 3678 times

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 08 Jan 2018, 20:46

It looks like you made tremendous improvement already. Maybe all that is needed is a little cloning over the trouble spots?
Maybe the Heal synthesizer tool?

david
Forum Member

Post#3 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 21:24

Unfortunately, if seen on a large monitor, the repetitive pattern is still fairly obvious. I shall continue to experiment.

david.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by Pat625 » 09 Jan 2018, 06:46

On my monitor, cannot pick out a "repetitive" pattern. Just see the print top slightly left and bottom right. Can you post what you see?

david
Forum Member

Post#5 by david » 09 Jan 2018, 10:25

Pat,

Here is a section of the original picture which shows the patterning.

david.
Attachments
pattern.jpg
pattern.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 3636 times

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#6 by Pat625 » 09 Jan 2018, 23:13

David, is this article of any value to you for the pattern on your photo?

http://www.tutorialgeek.net/2011/06/old ... ow-to.html

david
Forum Member

Post#7 by david » 09 Jan 2018, 23:38

Pat,

Many thanks for your research and the link. It is fairly close to what I have done already, but I shall experiment!

david.

david
Forum Member

Post#8 by david » 10 Jan 2018, 23:08

Pat,
I have tried the method in the link. It works well for the fine pattern of the example, but not for the more diffuse patterning of my picture. I find in both cases that the G'MIC filters Smooth [anisotropic] or Smooth [diffusion] followed by duplication of layers in Wavelet decompose gives equal or better results and perhaps more control. The search goes on!
The photograph is of interest because it is of my local market town around the turn of the 20th century. More importantly though it is an exercise in trying to find ways of repairing and improving images.
I am also contemplating a method of fixing light leaks on photos, when I can find an example. Searches on the internet having genuine light leaks are too small to work with and there are many more larger ones where the effect of a light leak have been added for "artistic" effect!
david.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#9 by Krikor » 28 Jun 2018, 00:32

David, this is an interesting question.
What I had immediately in view, it looks like you've tried (Fourier Transform, anisotropic smoothing, etc). Wavelet decompose would be another suggestion, though I have never tried it with such patterns. And anyway you've tried too.

I'll use the picture from post # 5 and play around a bit, and see if I can get any satisfactory results.

Pat625, I will read the article you indicated, it seems interesting, thx!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#10 by Krikor » 28 Jun 2018, 01:49

Here I used Fourier Transform, Wavelet decompose and unsharp mask.
Attachments
Remove pattern test
Remove pattern test
patternDAvid.png (339.47 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP