2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Still battling gimp

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
gnerd
Forum Member

Still battling gimp

Post#1 by gnerd » 13 Aug 2018, 20:45

Still having a time with gimp. While I was able to get it up and the plugins and scripts added thanks to OMG, Ella, Pat, and animicule! I can't thank you all enough :thank_you: . I'm getting errors on start up and during use for some reason. I try and add a gradient or pattern and it's nowhere to be found. I don't know if perhaps there are multiply files from losing my original gimp or not or even if there are where they'd be. My sanity is hanging by a very loose thread at the moment lol. So my question is if I remove gimp is there a way to clear my system of any addition gimp files, hidden files and such? I'm about ready to start from the beginning than to keep running in circles getting nowhere fast.

leopardo-40
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by leopardo-40 » 13 Aug 2018, 23:07

In my opinion, it's best to uninstall anything from Gimp.
and install 2.10.4 or 2.8.22, and install the Scripts and Pulg-ins that work ..
That's how I did it, switching to 2.10

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#3 by gnerd » 14 Aug 2018, 00:51

Leopardo I stayed with 2.8.22 since it's basically all I know up until now. Somehow, somewhere, i'm not even really sure what I did but I tried to start over and must have done something wrong the last time since it went fairly smoothly this time. @oldmangrumpy once again thank you for all the plugins and script you sent, i'm truly grateful!! And thanks to all of you for helping this somewhat bewildered gimper along!! @Ella @Pat625 and @animicule thanks for all the help I even managed to get plasma 2 back somehow :yay_yay_purple: !! I'm so confused :hammer_head: but i'll take it, I need a nap.. :off_to_bed_purple:

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#4 by Wallace » 14 Aug 2018, 01:43

Many of these kind of issues can be corrected, by having GIMP 2.8 create a new user profile.
This can be done, by renaming your current user profile, to something different.
Adding the word "old" to the end of the current profile. Is one way of doing this.
Next time you launch GIMP 2.8 it will create a new user profile.

You can then begin to repopulate your GIMP user fold, in small batches, of say 4 or 5 scripts, plugins or brushes etc.
Then launch GIMP.
Continue doing this, until GIMP gives you an error.
You will need to keep track of the resources placed in each folder, so that you can remove the most recently added ones.
To find which ones are giving you errors.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#5 by gnerd » 14 Aug 2018, 02:53

Great idea for future updates thank you Wallace!

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#6 by Wallace » 14 Aug 2018, 04:48

gnerd wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 02:53
Great idea for future updates thank you Wallace!
No problem. :thumbsup:

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#7 by Ella » 14 Aug 2018, 08:57

@gnerd Good luck with your Gimp Battle, Nancy.
But first take good care of your health.
If there's something else I can do let me now. And I notice you can get help from almost everybody here :)
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP