dinasset_1
Krikor
tim
Krikor

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Colouring B&W photos

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
gnerd
Forum Member
9th Place
1629 Post(s)

Re: Colouring B&W photos

Post#21 by gnerd » 06 Jan 2018, 17:33

Wow incredible results OMG amazing images, but I fail to see the hippy, must have been a little later :lol:

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#22 by david » 06 Jan 2018, 17:50

OMG,

Another excellent result - the hair is excellent.
Hair I always find difficult. (Not mine it is getting very thin these days!)

david.

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#23 by david » 06 Jan 2018, 18:33

One of the changes I tend to make to portraits (colour and black & white) is to increase the impact of the eyes and lips.

I do this by increasing the contrast and brightness using Colours & Curves. Changes to saturation may also help.
I use to very slightly change the size and shape of these features - probably no more than 1% - 3%. Cage transform was excellent for this, but unfortunately is no longer available to us.

david.
Attachments
eyes.jpg
eyes.jpg # (19.58 KiB) Viewed 2501 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
eyes_1.jpg
eyes_1.jpg # (22.79 KiB) Viewed 2501 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
lips.jpg
lips.jpg # (8.94 KiB) Viewed 2501 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
lips_1.jpg
lips_1.jpg # (10.83 KiB) Viewed 2501 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4512 Post(s)

Post#24 by Pat625 » 08 Jan 2018, 08:15

David, I am having a difficult time making the hairline look natural when pulled backed from the face. Such as on men with short hair at the forehead brushed back. What techniques do you use? Any special brushes?

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#25 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 09:48

Pat625,

If you can expand a little on your problem I may be able to suggest a better solution - perhaps before and after pictures(?)

I do not use brushes as such, but make a selection in the region where pixels become "vague" between the two areas and then try to decide how much feathering to apply to make the transition look natural.

If you can supply examples, I can perhaps demonstrate what I do.

david.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4512 Post(s)

Post#26 by Pat625 » 08 Jan 2018, 16:16

Here is a photo that I downloaded for practice. I tried to get as close to the hairline as possible and tried different amounts of feathering but it still looked terrible. Did not post attempt as it looked like a big joke.
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG # (64.41 KiB) Viewed 2450 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#27 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 17:35

Pat,

I hope this is helpful to you!
I have very quickly gone through the process.
face selected.png
face selected, saved to channel
face selected.png # (271.39 KiB) Viewed 2443 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Selection feathered by 5px.

Then I selected the hair (going straight across the face).
hair selected.png
hair and part face selected
hair selected.png # (307.52 KiB) Viewed 2443 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I clicked on the face channel and chose "Subtract from selection". This left only the hair selected which I feathered by 5px.

Here is my final result - I didn't colour the tie, jacket, shirt or background - but he looked very strange with grey lips and eyes!
final_result.png
final_result.png # (353.91 KiB) Viewed 2443 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Is this the sort of result you wanted? Let me know what you think.

david.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator
2nd Place
4512 Post(s)

Post#28 by Pat625 » 08 Jan 2018, 20:39

Yes, this is what I wanted. I was doing something similar but not getting the hairline at the forehead correctly. I will use your very fine example and practice. Practice! That is what I need. Thank you again David, for all your help.

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#29 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 21:21

Pat,

Apologies! In the tutorial I should not only have said how I achieve the result, I should also have explained WHY I do it that way.
It would make it easier to understand. Knowing why means that the principles could be applied elsewhere.

When I have a little time I will update the tutorial.

david.

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#30 by david » 08 Jan 2018, 23:20

I have made a minor edit to the tutorial, at the start of this topic, to explain how feathering produces a smooth transition between colours.

david.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic