2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Bevel Reflect Logo for Beginners

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
tim
GL Blogger

Bevel Reflect Logo for Beginners

Post#1 by tim » 05 Mar 2018, 00:40

1. Install Bevel Reflect Logo (from Wayback Machine) (Put the .scm file in your GIMP's /scripts/ folder).
2. Install ML Bevel Reflect Plugin (from Wayback Machine)(I am Windows, so I just copied the .exe file to my GIMP’s /plug-ins/ folder)
3. Install Bevel Reflect Logo to visible Layers Script for GIMP (Just put the .py file in your GIMP's /plug-ins/ folder).
4. Restart GIMP program.
5. Now create your shapes/fonts on a new layer (with transparency surrounding your shape/letters/word).
6. Turn off all other layers visibility except the layer(s) you want to apply the Bevel Relfect Logo (BRL) effect to.
7. Run Script (Python-fu/BRL to visible layers...). Don't hit 'OK' yet. There's still options you gotta choose.
8. I am not too experienced, so I just choose the first option set to Flat Bevel or Round1 Bevel.
9. Then for Spherical Emap (png/jpg) option. I choose an Emap from Spherical Environment Map Sharing Topic or Environment Map Sharing Thread (Spherical) Bevel Reflect (from GimpChat).
10. That's it hit OK to run.

Sample effect result (BRL is only applied to the word with transparency, the black background is on a separate layer).
Sample_result_of_spherical_emap_of_image_cloud.png
Sample_result_of_spherical_emap_of_image_cloud.png (152.24 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 05 Mar 2018, 05:44

Here are two of the scripts so you do not have to go to the Wayback Machine.

MLBevelReflect.zip
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
bevel-reflect-logo.zip
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 05 Mar 2018, 05:47

Thanks Pat!
aka Tin
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#4 by gnerd » 05 Mar 2018, 23:55

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong lol? Other than OMG's tuts i'm BRL challenged :hammer_head:
Attachments
what am I doing.png
what am I doing.png (95.41 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
Screen shot of my screen when complete
Screen shot of my screen when complete
Capture1 gimp brl.PNG (116.84 KiB) Viewed 2646 times

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 05 Mar 2018, 23:59

I am not too experienced with BRL either, but everytime I try to run BRL on a word, I make sure that my word has transparent around (like the word is the only thing filled on my layer, and the rest is transparent) then I run that BRL on visible layer.

In the following, i took your first image, selected color black, and deleted to have transparency. Select None, then applied BRL on visible layer and I get this.
The black around your image isn't smooth so you get this weird looking outline with flaws. But if the word was smooth on transparency you'd get better results.
gnerd_BRL.png
gnerd_BRL.png (154.25 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
aka Tin

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#6 by gnerd » 06 Mar 2018, 00:10

Filling that's what i'm missing I think lol. Totally forgot about the filling part, thanks for the help Tin!!

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#7 by gnerd » 06 Mar 2018, 00:16

:oops: not that, i'll keep trying! Thanks Tin

tim
GL Blogger

Post#8 by tim » 06 Mar 2018, 00:22

If you created your text using text tool then it's already filled and on transparent layer for you, you just have to apply BRL to that layer.
But if you do other effects that might require you to fill the whole layer, then you must isolate your text so that it's the only thing on the layer without filled background (make it transparent) then run BRL.
aka Tin

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#9 by gnerd » 06 Mar 2018, 01:05

Yeah I just created the text and closed the eye on the background and tried to apply the BRL script this is what it looks like when I turn the eye back on the background layer.
Attachments
Capture1 gimp brl.PNG2.PNG
Capture1 gimp brl.PNG2.PNG (76.91 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by oldmangrumpy » 06 Mar 2018, 01:56

Nancy - there are a number of possible explanations for your 'problem' - so lets just run a check on what you are doing ...

1. You have a selection (words?) on your active layer
2. That selection is filled with a colour that is 100% opaque - strange results can come from SVG type coloured backgrounds that vary in that respect)
3. Your active layer is in 'Normal' mode - again strange/different results can come from say 'overlay' or 'gradient merge'
4. Your circular e-map is fully cropped and does not have an additional transparent border - such e-maps and also non circular e-maps will provide different results.

Otherwise post or send me your xcf file and the e-map - I can have a look for you.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP