2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

Post#1 by oldmangrumpy » 10 Mar 2018, 05:48

Given the interest in 3d (bump mapped) backgrounds I thought I would add these options to the available list.

The tutorial shows how to create a 3D backlit background using the Lighting Effects filter and SVG gradients. As always I have taken care to check/validate the stepped tutorial but if anybody has problems then let me know.

The tutorial ZIP file and a resources ZIP file are attached below. The eventual ,images will resemble these examples -
Attachments
3da.png
3da.png # (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3062 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
3dc.png
3dc.png # (466.92 KiB) Viewed 3062 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
backlit 3D resources.zip #
(5.49 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Tutorial - making a backlit 3d background.zip #
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 196 times
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#2 by Issabella » 10 Mar 2018, 07:58

I love that effect OMG. Thanks a lot. I've just got your files. :thank_you: :yes:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#3 by gnerd » 10 Mar 2018, 23:10

OMG another wonderful tutorial :gimp_clap: ! Thank you for all the work you put in and making it understandable even for me :lol:
Attachments
OMG bump background.png
OMG bump background.png # (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3008 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
OMG bumped emapgolden yellow.png
OMG bumped emapgolden yellow.png # (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3008 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
OMG bumped emap.png
OMG bumped emap.png # (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3008 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#4 by Wallace » 10 Mar 2018, 23:35

I like the look of this kind of background.
Nice work OMG. :thumbsup:

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#5 by Pat625 » 11 Mar 2018, 00:00

It is so beautiful! I love your tutorials, OMG. I will surely do this one. Have already downloaded the instructions and resources. Thank you!

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#6 by Issabella » 11 Mar 2018, 15:56

Nancy, wonderful results.
OMG, I don't remember where I must instal "OMG_svg1.svg" file. It seems to be a gradient, but after installing it in gradients, I can't find it. Sorry. :? Thanks a lot. The attachment is the image I get from your zip.
Attachments
Captura.JPG
Captura.JPG # (10.85 KiB) Viewed 2963 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#7 by oldmangrumpy » 11 Mar 2018, 18:47

Issabella - that is strange; yes it is the gradient I used and I presume that Nancy had no problems. Maybe you need to refresh the gradients using the far right button in Gradients Dialogue.

If you cannot find/use that gradient, do the other two 'ggr' files show up? If so you can use one of them.

In my GIMP this is what it looks like with file explorer showing those SVG gradients in GIMP>gradients -
Attachments
issa_snap.png
issa_snap.png # (284.62 KiB) Viewed 2951 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

gnerd
Forum Member

Post#8 by gnerd » 11 Mar 2018, 19:39

Thank you Issabella! No OMG I had no problem, I just put the OMGsvg1 file in my gradients and refreshed gimp and was good to go.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#9 by Pat625 » 11 Mar 2018, 20:32

OMG, Issabella: I could not get the .svg to show up in gradients either. Tried restarting GIMP but that did not help. I was able to drag it from windows explorer onto Gimp and open it that way. I then opened the gradient editor and used sample across a path to make a new gradient and rename it. It works fine as a .ggr now.
OMG.Purple-to-Yellow.zip #
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by Pat625 » 12 Mar 2018, 01:41

I still cannot use the gradient in the lighting filter. It works nicely to fill a layer or selection but the lighting filter recognizes it as everything but an environment map. I tried other gradients and they are the same, recognizes them as bump map, but "empty" is what Is in the dialog box. I did check to make sure the enable box was checked.
I think something is wrong with the filter, but I do not know what.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic