2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
Issabella
Script Tester

Re: OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

Post#31 by Issabella » 18 Mar 2018, 19:03

Thanks a lot, Wallace. I'll try to do what you say as it's rather frustrating. :thumbsup:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#32 by Wallace » 18 Mar 2018, 19:23

Pat625 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 18:48
Thank you very much, Wallace. I have the same problem with the .svg files. I'll try this fix.
Issabella wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 19:03
Thanks a lot, Wallace. I'll try to do what you say as it's rather frustrating. :thumbsup:
Change file associations.
To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations.
Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.
You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default.
file_association.PNG
file_association.PNG # (141.36 KiB) Viewed 2190 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Screenshot (90).png
Screenshot (90).png # (126.59 KiB) Viewed 2188 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#33 by oldmangrumpy » 19 Mar 2018, 08:16

Wallace - thank you very much for both your very kind comments and for sorting out a solution to the SVG gradient problem on some member's machines. I really should have anticipated that issue myself.

I just ran a check on other non SVG gradients and the tut method works OK -
Attachments
glass_pais_pat_backlit2.png
glass_pais_pat_backlit2.png # (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2166 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
glass_pais_pat_backlit.png
glass_pais_pat_backlit.png # (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2166 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#34 by Wallace » 19 Mar 2018, 08:56

oldmangrumpy wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 08:16
Wallace - thank you very much for both your very kind comments and for sorting out a solution to the SVG gradient problem on some member's machines. I really should have anticipated that issue myself.

I just ran a check on other non SVG gradients and the tut method works OK -
:thumbsup:

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#35 by Pat625 » 19 Mar 2018, 16:36

Wallace, my problem is the last step you have to pick another program to open the .svg. I cannot get Gimp into the list to pick from. My only choices are Internet explorer, Edge, and look for app in the store. How do I get Gimp into the list?

Edit: I did right click on the .svg file and could get to Gimp that way. However, I still cannot get it to appear in the gradient dialog.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#36 by Issabella » 19 Mar 2018, 17:28

I could solve the problem. Pat I had the same problem. I couldn't see the program GIMP to link to it.
Pat, try after following Wallace steps and you open other programs, go to find gimp.exe and force it to gimp.exe.
and say always to that program.
Thanks Wallace.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#37 by Wallace » 19 Mar 2018, 18:22

Pat625 wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 16:36
Wallace, my problem is the last step you have to pick another program to open the .svg. I cannot get Gimp into the list to pick from. My only choices are Internet explorer, Edge, and look for app in the store. How do I get Gimp into the list?

Edit: I did right click on the .svg file and could get to Gimp that way. However, I still cannot get it to appear in the gradient dialog.
My intended idea isn't to open the svg file with GIMP,
but to change it's file association within your operating system.
So that GIMP will not have any issues recognizing/utilizing the svg file.

If Gimp isn't on the list of available programs to select from.
Do this.

Select More Apps.
more_apps.png
more_apps.png # (52.52 KiB) Viewed 2217 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Select Look for another app on this PC.
look_for_app.png
look_for_app.png # (51.91 KiB) Viewed 2217 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Navigate to your Gimp.exe application file and select it.
Select_app.png
Select_app.png # (123.7 KiB) Viewed 2217 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
If this doesn't work.
You'll need to do it from the control panel.
Go to the Control Panel.
In the Search Box type File Association.
Screenshot (95).png
Screenshot (95).png # (87.36 KiB) Viewed 2217 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#38 by Pat625 » 19 Mar 2018, 23:05

I do not know what is wrong but I have now done all of that, Gimp now appears in the file association, but it still is not in the gradient dialog.

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#39 by Wallace » 19 Mar 2018, 23:23

Pat625 wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 23:05
I do not know what is wrong but I have now done all of that, Gimp now appears in the file association, but it still is not in the gradient dialog.
This may seem like a dumb question,
but did you place the file into your Gimp User Gradients folder?
Perhaps a restart of you computer might fix this issue,
can you try this?

This is what I see in my Gradients Dialog.
OMG_svg_gradient.png
OMG_svg_gradient.png # (19.77 KiB) Viewed 2182 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#40 by oldmangrumpy » 20 Mar 2018, 09:21

Oh dear - that is the last time I use SVG gradients in a tutorial - I have converted one to a standard .ggr file for the tut I am writing right now. :computer_smiley:
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic