2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Re: OMG tutorial - Making a backlit 3D background

Post#51 by Pat625 » 24 Mar 2018, 03:58

Still having trouble with the Lighting filter not showing anything avail in the Background most of the time so I cheat if I must: Use the Lighting filter for what I can and then on new image use the gradient as a top layer and use Overlay or one of the other Blend modes that work.
Backlit pattern blue.jpg
Backlit pattern blue.jpg # (390.3 KiB) Viewed 2019 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#52 by Issabella » 24 Mar 2018, 06:57

Thank you Pat.
In spite of having some problems with the filter, you got a beautiful result. Hopefully someone can help to solve that problem. :thumbsup:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Tom
Forum Member

Post#53 by Tom » 25 Mar 2018, 15:18

I have a question about step 11 of the tutorial.
When doing the gradient is it over top of the gray scale image or do I create a new layer for the gradient ?

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#54 by Pat625 » 25 Mar 2018, 15:46

Tom, I had difficulty with the lighting filter because of the pickiness it has for placement of the gradient for the environment map. Here is OMG's advice from post #11.

Post#11 by oldmangrumpy » 1 week 6 days ago

Pat - in the tutorial I did warn about this filter playing up; it often does not recognize files that have been opened after it has been used. I find it frustrating. It also seems to want the environment map layer to be called 'background'.

My work around is to open my project file and create the bump maps I need and I put target environment map on the background layer. Then I open the Lighting Effects filter.

After that if I want to use a different gradient as an environment map, I create it also on that same background layer i.e. I overwrite the previous one.
I have also found that turning the Environment Map checkbox off then on again allows a different map to be used.

Hope this is helpful.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#55 by oldmangrumpy » 25 Mar 2018, 18:54

Pat - thanks for helping out.

Tom - the gradient in question goes over the initial Background Layer to cope with the quirks of this filter, which Pat and I have referenced above.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Tom
Forum Member

Post#56 by Tom » 25 Mar 2018, 19:38

Backlite.jpg
Backlite.jpg # (305.76 KiB) Viewed 1982 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Thanks for the tutorial, it was enjoyable and Thanks Pat.
Everything went well and I learned new things.
:gimplearn: :gimp_clap:

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#57 by Pat625 » 25 Mar 2018, 23:03

You are welcome, OMG and Tom. One of the reasons I love this forum is that we help each other to learn. There is always something to learn with GIMP!

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#58 by RJKD » 26 Mar 2018, 12:36

Oh well, I've had to admit defeat on this one, I've tried every which way I can think of but the Environment map simply refuses to show any layer options. I tried the bump mapping work around suggested in a previous post. I'm now going to work on other images to see if I can get this option to work at all. (I know it will only work on RGB). Anyone with any further suggestions - I'm all ears.
EDIT - I used 3 layers - made the gradient the bottom layer, next pink and just a desaturated pattern on top - hey presto it worked (ain't called Gimp for nowt). Thanx a mill for a great tut OMG.

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#59 by RJKD » 26 Mar 2018, 12:57

yippee...
OMG_backlit_Incandescent.jpg
OMG_backlit_Incandescent.jpg # (276.9 KiB) Viewed 2006 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#60 by RJKD » 26 Mar 2018, 13:12

Yep, my environment map with the lighting filter will not 'handle' more than 3 layers.
pattern from; http://www.textures4photoshop.com
OMG_backlit_OMGburntclouds.jpg
OMG_backlit_OMGburntclouds.jpg # (280.42 KiB) Viewed 2005 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic