2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Ink-Pen Drawing Effect - (Tutorial updated on post 59)

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Re: Ink-Pen Drawing Effect - Tutorial

Post#41 by Pat625 » 14 Mar 2019, 02:56

Issabella and Krikor, you both have done such beautiful images. I love all of them!

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#42 by oldmangrumpy » 14 Mar 2019, 03:01

Krikor - I must agree with you when you say "finding a suitable image to get good results seems to be the most difficult".

I have made 5 attempts this morning and have not been happy with any of them - seems the 'mean' value I get in the histogram is always way to big for the calcs in the tut. I envy those of you who are able to select the appropriate images to use with the technique.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#43 by dinasset_1 » 14 Mar 2019, 05:19

oldmangrumpy wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 03:01
Krikor - I must agree with you when you say "finding a suitable image to get good results seems to be the most difficult".

I have made 5 attempts this morning and have not been happy with any of them - seems the 'mean' value I get in the histogram is always way to big for the calcs in the tut. I envy those of you who are able to select the appropriate images to use with the technique.
OMG, can you post one of your source images and your steps?

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#44 by Issabella » 14 Mar 2019, 07:38

Krikor, that it's great! I love your result.
Inkpen is a technique of drawing. There is an endless amount of ways to do it.
Drawing with pen and ink allows the artist to create strong areas of contrast and most of them are in black or dark blue color.
So, the way you get areas of contrast by hatching, cross or random lines to get the effect depends on the artist.
My tutorial is a guide to get such an effect, Then knowing the basic technique, one can do his/her variations.
Thank you so much, Krikor. :paint
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#45 by Issabella » 14 Mar 2019, 07:41

OMG, I hope you get the right help from Dinasset, who taught me this drawing technique. I'm sure you will get wonderful results. :)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#46 by Ella » 14 Mar 2019, 09:23

Can't reply to all, but I like the plays and the creativity from all members. Well done all :paint

Another play with the tutorial and another outcome :)
Attachments
WomanFlowers.png
WomanFlowers.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1195 times
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#47 by oldmangrumpy » 14 Mar 2019, 19:08

Issabella and Diego - I have just seen Diego's requests here and in Pats thread re "OMG, could you send an example of your unsuccessful tries: source image, T0, T1 and T2 calculated, and error message on Threshold".

OK; I did not save any of the unsatisfactory attempts, but will put together example image(s) and my calculated values. There is no error message on Threshold, just my calculated values are too large, all stemming from 'Mean Value' in the Histogram multiplied by 256 to create T0. Will not be able to do this until tonight though as today I am the sole carer for my 5 year old grand daughter and she will absolutely exhaust me :lol:

My thanks to both of you for the assistance you are offering.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#48 by Krikor » 14 Mar 2019, 22:27

oldmangrumpy wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 03:01

It has images that the T2 value becomes impossible to apply the threshold.
I have an image that the Mean value is 0.840.
This value beats a T2 of 285.60, but the maximum possible is 255.

T = 0.840
T1 = T * 170 = 142.8
T2 = T * 340 = 285.60

Perhaps it is this kind of situation to which the OMG refers.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#49 by oldmangrumpy » 15 Mar 2019, 01:07

Issabella and Diego - I think Krikor has pinpointed/resolved my particular problem with Mean values in the Histogram window. It seems from what Krikor has posted (0.840), in 2.10 they are expressed in a different manner from 2.8 which I am still using.

I will probably need to divide my Mean values by a hundred first and then apply Issa's tutorial calculations.

My apologies for not picking this up earlier, but there is no image of the histogram window in the tut.

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#50 by dinasset_1 » 15 Mar 2019, 04:41

oldmangrumpy wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 01:07
Issabella and Diego - I think Krikor has pinpointed/resolved my particular problem with Mean values in the Histogram window. It seems from what Krikor has posted (0.840), in 2.10 they are expressed in a different manner from 2.8 which I am still using.

I will probably need to divide my Mean values by a hundred first and then apply Issa's tutorial calculations.

My apologies for not picking this up earlier, but there is no image of the histogram window in the tut.
Yes, OMG and Krikor, the "quick and dirty" trick for adjusting T1 and T2 to take care of images not having a mean of around 128 (in 2.8) or 0.5 (in 2.10) works only for images having in any case a mean floating in the central part of all possible values.
Hence let's modify the trick into a more generalized statement:
-if the mean value of your image is not close to 128 (in 2.8) or 0.5 (in 2.10) modify the T1/T2 values to reflect an approx proportion of 1/3-2/3 of the values.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP