2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How to create a New Mosaic Effect- Dinasset's Style. Tutorial PDF

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
Archie
Forum Member

Re: How to create a New Mosaic Effect- Dinasset's Style. Tutorial PDF

Post#81 by Archie » 09 Jun 2019, 08:21

Thanks Pat, Issabella. Gorgeous lotus Ella.

@Issabella, I mentioned the media, I believe all the ones I posted were painted on silk. They've aged and were photographed at some point. They're not the best images to use. I realize that now. Here's a better version. I just combined some of the color selections at step 7. Yes, perhaps dinasset will know how to treat the images pre-tutorial to get rid of the dots.
Attachments
hokusai2.png
hokusai2.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3628 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Archie
Forum Member

Post#82 by Archie » 09 Jun 2019, 08:31

@Pat625, It is a long tutorial. It's easy to miss something. You'll get there. I'm sure it doesn't help struggling with a weaker machine.

I'm starting to think either I'm forgetting to hit submit or the site doesn't like some of my posts. Here's a couple more of my photos.
Attachments
mg6433fm.png
mg6433fm.png (727.82 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
mg6491fm.png
mg6491fm.png (909.57 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#83 by Pat625 » 10 Jun 2019, 04:01

Issabella, I thought I would give it another try. Set up GIMP entirely again but not as portable and still on 32 bits. Seems to work a little better with the regular program. At least no crashes.
I found it hard to get colors close using the "number guide" . On some colors, works really well, on others, really off.
I also have trouble with the borders. I tried mid and dark gray and still was getting thin black lines as a border. Maybe I am too picky. I kept checking the luminance to make sure it was within guidelines but yours is much better. Were you using a crystal set? Had a lot of difficulty getting white for clouds even with the number guide.
DN.Issa.New Mosaic.Chestnut Horse.jpg
DN.Issa.New Mosaic.Chestnut Horse.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 3617 times

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#84 by Issabella » 10 Jun 2019, 06:31

Pat, Congrats!!!! you did a very nice result. :gimp_clap:
About your questions, I didn't use any crystal patterns, only the ones for mosaic.
Also, remember that you have a gray pattern, which I use when very clear zones where gray color works great (4th pattern)
I wish you can have your computer working on plenty of conditions very soon. I understand you so much as I had the same problems with my previous one crashing all of the time and unstable.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#85 by Pat625 » 11 Jun 2019, 01:51

Thank you for your comments, Issabella. I think most of us that have used a computer with any regularity will have some very exasperating moments!! Oh, well, trying to fix these moments keeps our minds active!!

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#86 by Issabella » 11 Jun 2019, 18:59

:paint
Attachments
pexels-photo-999515_NewMosaic_DN_Style_Issa.jpeg
pexels-photo-999515_NewMosaic_DN_Style_Issa.jpeg (256.02 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#87 by Pat625 » 12 Jun 2019, 02:38

Issabella, I had to try the crystal patterns. I like them, but they really do not look like Mosaic to me.
DN.Issa. New Mosaic.  Crystals.water-lily.jpg
DN.Issa. New Mosaic. Crystals.water-lily.jpg (161.49 KiB) Viewed 3587 times

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#88 by dinasset_1 » 12 Jun 2019, 04:18

Pat625 wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 02:38
Issabella, I had to try the crystal patterns. I like them, but they really do not look like Mosaic to me.

DN.Issa. New Mosaic. Crystals.water-lily.jpg
Yes, they are more "divertissements" than mosaics.

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#89 by dinasset_1 » 12 Jun 2019, 04:20

Ella wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 13:45
With the guide to choose the right color mosaic 😊

Lotus_Mosaic_DN.png
Excellent Ella.

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#90 by dinasset_1 » 12 Jun 2019, 04:28

Archie wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 08:22
@Issabella, I love the cat and the stitch style in the one below it is very nice.

It seems these need some extra consideration, I'm guessing because of the media that were used. The fields of color can be scattered, little dots all over. You can see it in the background of 3. It's also very noticeable in 1. You can see it in the background and the fabric she's hanging, the border outlines.

1 - Uemura Shōen
2 - ?
3 - Katsushika Hokusai
4 - Sakai Hoitsu
Nice outcomes, Archie. If you want to limit the "dots", you have to "intervene" on the quantized layer with the clone tool before texturizing the areas.

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP