It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 07:31

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | 🡆 Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

GIMP/GL InterestsI just learned about "negative SEO"

GIMP or GIMP LEARN Forum Interests
tim

GL Blogger

I just learned about "negative SEO"

Post#1 by tim » 26 Feb 2019, 18:55

good natural links to your site is called "positive SEO".
spammy sites linking to your site is called "negative SEO".
I checked some backlinks to our forum and many of them are unrelated to (ie. Advertisement about essay writing).

I have seen these spams before on our forum and deleted them but they also link from questionable websites to our forum (even though the topic no longer exists).

So I followed instructions to submit (83 domains [There are probably more but I could only see the 83 being from a free tool]) to google to be disavow (telling Google to ignore these spammy links).

Hopefully, this will affect our ranking in a positive way.
0 x
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 26 Feb 2019, 19:03

Thank you Tin, for all your efforts!
0 x

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#3 by Issabella » 26 Feb 2019, 20:51

That sounds well. Thank you Tin.
0 x
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

tim

GL Blogger

Post#4 by tim » 27 Feb 2019, 04:50

Also just updated:
Any user generated/created links will open in new window, so any links in your posts.
links that are part of the site's structure will not open in new window.
0 x
aka Tin
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

enxio27
Forum Member

Post#5 by enxio27 » 27 Feb 2019, 15:01

Will that serve to reduce the number of spammers who attempt to post their garbage here? (I know you work hard to keep that stuff out anyway, but hopefully this will also reduce your workload in that area.)
0 x

tim

GL Blogger

Post#6 by tim » 27 Feb 2019, 15:12

@enxio27 ,
A little technical, but I allow posting external links so when I open them user generated links in new windows I set rel="nofollow external noopener"
nofollow meaning to tell crawlers that these links shouldn't affect other's ranking or ours
external meaning it could be off site
noopener prevents malicious site to hack our original window
So I think it allows us to link freely to external sites without worrying about our site/page being hacked somehow and links still help us share things we'd like share in context.

UPDATE: external links opens in new window (no matter where they are) with nofollow (so doesn't change ranking).
internal links within posts because it's in context of the post so without nofollow (does change ranking)
internal links in signatures will nofollow (so doesn't change ranking) only used for user convenience, so it's not in context of the posts.
0 x
aka Tin

enxio27
Forum Member

Post#7 by enxio27 » 28 Feb 2019, 13:41

@tim ,

That's great! It's been quite a while since I messed around with phpBB, and I'm sure a lot has changed since then. I wish I had known about the nofollow and noopener back then, but they may not have been available then.
1 x

tim

GL Blogger

Post#8 by tim » 28 Feb 2019, 17:29

@enxio27 ,
how long ago did you play with phpbb? nofollow was created on January 18, 2005 (according to the web).
not sure when noopener was created though.
0 x
aka Tin

enxio27
Forum Member

Post#9 by enxio27 » 28 Feb 2019, 21:09

tim wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 17:29
@enxio27 ,
how long ago did you play with phpbb? nofollow was created on January 18, 2005 (according to the web).
not sure when noopener was created though.
Oh, wow, I would have to go back and look, but it was still under phpBB2. phpBB3 was still in beta, I think. What I did was pretty rudimentary. I "inherited" a forum (offered to help kill spam, and one by one all the other mods disappeared, leaving me at the top, and I finally convinced the essentially-absent owner to give me admin rights). My primary purpose at the time was just to maintain the existing setup, but put in a few controls (CAPTCHA, etc.) to minimize spam (which we had a LOT of at the time). I had never heard of SEOs, and it never occurred to me that I should do anything about our rankings, one way or the other.
0 x

tim

GL Blogger

Post#10 by tim » 28 Feb 2019, 21:22

Well positive SEO I think is great because you try to focus on user experience which does a lot of good for everyone since it's competition for quality.

Negative SEO is terrible. If you think about it, people pay people to attack other sites then next thing you know everyone is doing it and so it's like a dog chasing its own tail does no good for anyone and lowers the quality of the net.

I refuse to pay to find out all my backlinks because I think that gives them reason to thrive on negative SEO as a business and it'll never stop.

I trust that Google is able to tell spammy sites from non-spammy ones and so just not index those spammy ones and no real person would ever follow a link on a spammy site with thousands of other links.

If you focus on great content then that's best positive SEO I think, and hopefully everything else just works out in your favor.

Back to the forum you ran, is it still up and running? Was it a success at one point or so?
0 x
aka Tin

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | 🡆 Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP