2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | 🡆 Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Multi-Lingual Support

GIMP or GIMP LEARN Forum Interests
tim
GL Blogger

Multi-Lingual Support

Post#1 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 01:06

We now use Google Translate to support other languages (for viewing):
Just click on Language button and choose one of the languages to be able to view our forum in that language.

However, if you're posting, it's important that you post in English (use Google Translate if you have to) so that it can be translated from English to other languages. If you post for example in French, and google tries to translate it thinking it's English it won't work as desired.

Hopefully, this will allow many people in different parts of the world to jump on GIMP.

Cheers.
aka Tin

tim
GL Blogger

Post#2 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 01:23

Google's set of languages is much larger then the list I have added.
It's an experiment for now to see if we get interactions from those which I think are the more popular ones.
If there's a language that you think should be added and it is in the list of languages that Google provides and this works as intended I can easily add them.
it's just another link with an extra variable. Adding it is not a problem. Users can also select any language from Google Translate's interface when viewing a translated version anyways so it's not like it's completely turned off....
I just didn't want to add them all if no one is going to even use it.

Let's hope we get to interact with many people in different countries and push GIMP even further.
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by Pat625 » 06 Jun 2021, 04:00

Tin, I have often thought that the sites with a built in language interpreter were extremely considerate. Very convenient to not have to copy your entire post, go To another site, translate it, then go back to the original site. Thank you very much, Tin. I believe this is important as we gain more members from all over the world. I applaud you for all that you do to make GL a truly great forum. :gimp_clap:

tim
GL Blogger

Post#4 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 10:41

Thanks Pat,

Yeah I picture a language like a plane, so English is on its own plane, as soon as you're able to expand into other languages then it's like you're jumping to other planes in 3D space so instead of square we're going to be a cube. Hold more volume.

More people thinking in other languages will also expose us to more ideas.

Also, I like seeing other people in languages joining, even if sometimes Google Translate seems to do a broken job but as long as long the rough idea is being communicated, it's good.

Google Translate allows us to understand in other languages, I just don't think it's being used to its full potential. Of course when translation is perfect it'll be better but we can make good use of what's available right now.
aka Tin

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 10:49

The whole idea of being able to help or being helped by writing scripts/plug-ins or answer a question or sharing idea with someone who doesn't speak a word of English or us not speaking a word of their language is just so exciting.

Not only expand by numbers of people, but different languages shape the brain differently so that sounds so exciting for discovery.
aka Tin

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#6 by skinnyhouse » 06 Jun 2021, 11:24

Yes just thinking about our Custom Font friend GimpTurkey - I am amazed at what he does with so little English - anything that can help is a huge bonus.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tim
GL Blogger

Post#7 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 12:40

Out of the top 10 most commonly used languages, Native English Speakers only make up about 11%.
And English Speakers (native and non-native speakers) only make up 13% (out of top 10 languages).
And that's only Top 10 too. If we look at other languages, English shrink to a smaller percentage.
So...yeah you can see chart top 10 I charted here: https://thelotteryforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1341
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#8 by Krikor » 06 Jun 2021, 17:30

tim wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 12:40
Out of the top 10 most commonly used languages, Native English Speakers only make up about 11%.
And English Speakers (native and non-native speakers) only make up 13% (out of top 10 languages).
And that's only Top 10 too. If we look at other languages, English shrink to a smaller percentage.
So...yeah you can see chart top 10 I charted here: https://thelotteryforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1341
Tim, no doubt a smart decision that will benefit many.

Particularly I always wish that other forums could mirror https://forum.wordreference.com/ , where there are subdivisions by languages.

A Gimp forum open to all major languages, not only via an on-line translator, but with sub-divisions as on https://forum.wordreference.com/ that gives access to languages such as Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, French, Dutch, Hungarian, Russian and others, would be an innovative, contemporary tool with a global reach.

One step at a time is enough to reach the top of a mountain.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

tim
GL Blogger

Post#9 by tim » 06 Jun 2021, 18:06

I just skimmed over that forum.wordreference.com.
While that's great on their part, but I think people who speak certain languages will tend only stick to their languages.

For example if I posted on wordreference.com, this same post, in English sub-forum....only English speakers will read them.

What is done here is in the effort for people of different languages to merge... so if I make this post, and if someone viewed the forum in French, they'll see this post too.

I think there's only a short window (I don't know how long) before A.I. could allow people to break language barriers online.
aka Tin

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by Ella » 06 Jun 2021, 18:12

tim wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 01:23
If there's a language that you think should be added and it is in the list of languages that Google provides and this works as intended I can easily add them.
it's just another link with an extra variable. Adding it is not a problem. Users can also select any language from Google Translate's interface when viewing a translated version anyways so it's not like it's completely turned off....
I just didn't want to add them all if no one is going to even use it.
Dutch - Nederlands please, Tim, for Gimper and me 😊
And thank you in advance 😃
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | 🡆 Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic