david
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
david

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  🡆 GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Coloured Photograph

Artworks created/edited using GIMP
david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Coloured Photograph

Post#1 by david » 07 Nov 2021, 09:52

I recently discovered that my tutorial on Gimp Chat for colouring photographs was incomplete and I no longer had a copy on my computer,
Fortunately, I was able to come to Gimp Learn and download it.

When the tutorial was written it used overlay blending mode for the colour layers (overlay, at that time was the same as soft-light). Now they are different I find that soft-light gives better results and is more controllable.

Just to prove that it still works and I am capable of doing it, I have coloured an image of Grand Duchess Olga Romanov. The lesson from this was to avoid subjects with pearl necklaces - they are a nightmare to mask!
olga.jpg
olga.jpg # (68.74 KiB) Viewed 188 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
olga_2.jpg
olga_2.jpg # (78.54 KiB) Viewed 188 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
960 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 07 Nov 2021, 16:28

Just to make it easier, follow the link where you can find the tutorial to download. viewtopic.php?p=12910#p12910
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

david
Forum Member
18th Place
300 Post(s)

Post#3 by david » 09 Nov 2021, 10:31

@Krikor,

Thanks for your link to the original tutorial - I should have added that!

I have now done a re-write of the tutorial to reflect changes in GIMP and make it clearer.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
960 Post(s)

Post#4 by Krikor » 11 Nov 2021, 00:10

david wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 10:31
@Krikor,

Thanks for your link to the original tutorial - I should have added that!

I have now done a re-write of the tutorial to reflect changes in GIMP and make it clearer.
David,

The new version of the tutorial has a clearer, more detailed approach to the process, which is easier to understand.

It would be nice if there was a math that would indicate the approximate feather value for each image. Something like a formula, but I don't know if that would be possible.
colorBW.png
Krikor - Color B&W - David's tutorial
colorBW.png # (343.36 KiB) Viewed 124 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The biggest difficulty is (usually) in the hair; its cut and its blend with the background.

There are several techniques for coloring black and white images, I particularly like the technique exposed in this tutorial a lot!

Thx.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  🡆 GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic