It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 10:44

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Australian Odyssey - The Kimberley

Artworks that are created/edited using other than GIMP softwares or in a different medium
oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Australian Odyssey - The Kimberley

Post#1 by oldmangrumpy » 20 Jun 2019, 09:40

Recently my wife and I were lucky to spend a holiday touring the Kimberley by 4WD bus and a small ship.

The Kimberley is an ancient area in the north west of Australia of some 424,000 square kilometres of sandstone mountains, sandwiched between water (the Indian Ocean and Timor Sea) and the Great Sandy and Tanami Deserts. The Kimberley consists of ancient, steep-sided but low mountain ranges cut through with sandstone and limestone gorges and steep ridges, created by the many rivers that abound.

The permanent population is only about 35,000 but trebles in the tourist (dry) season. Some 40% of the permanent residents are Aborigines, many of whom live in Tribal Communities or on cattle stations. A number of those cattle stations are larger than Texas.

The area has a distinctly tropical monsoon climate with a 4 month wet season and an 8 month dry season. This year rainfall was much below the long term average.

Key features include:
1. one of the most diverse assemblies of dinosaur tracks in the world – 130 million years old
2. many Aboriginal rock paintings dating back 50,000 years
3. a number of pearl farms
4. large cattle stations
5. the Ord River damn (Lake Argyle) and irrigation area
6. the distinctive striped beehive domes of the Bungle Bungle range
7. rivers, gorges and caves and tunnels
8. the largest tropical tides in the world creating the many mini cascades over the mighty Montgomery Reef
9. a 12,000 kilometre coast line and 1,000 islands off the Buccaneer Archipelago

I will post some photos here as I work through the several thousand we took.
Attachments
ord_river_sunset.png
ord_river_sunset.png (201.99 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
typical_gorge_river.png
typical_gorge_river.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1354 times
wilderness_lodge_accomodation.png
wilderness_lodge_accomodation.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1354 times
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#2 by Issabella » 20 Jun 2019, 10:14

OMG, I'm very happy for you and your wife having such a wonderful holiday. It's very interesting what you say about the zone you have been to. Beautiful shots, too. :happy_purple:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

david
Forum Member

Post#3 by david » 20 Jun 2019, 10:37

OMG,

Beautiful photographs - the sunset is spectacular. I hope we will see many more.

Do I have your permission to "spoil" them (perhaps in a separate thread)?
If so, it would be good to have the original zipped files so that we have the full definition - now I know I am asking too much of you!

david.

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by Ella » 20 Jun 2019, 11:46

OMG, I can imagine you enjoyed your trip. With so much beauty it's not surprising you have several more than 1000 photos.
Thanks for sharing the photos and the explanation here.
Seeing the whole world in one place 🙂
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#5 by dinasset_1 » 20 Jun 2019, 12:29

OMG, very happy for you (your trip) and very happy for us (your images).

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 20 Jun 2019, 18:09

OMG,
Congratulations on this great adventure! The diversity that this planet possesses is so great and beautiful that it is a pity that we can not have access to all of them.
Archaeological sites with paintings of more than 50,000 years! Wow! I'm looking forward to more OMG images.
Thanks for sharing with us part of this beautiful adventure.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#7 by oldmangrumpy » 20 Jun 2019, 21:47

Wow - thanks for all the positive responses; I will certainly post more as I sort through the photos.

David - play as you wish and check my PM re delivery of originals as they are large files.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#8 by Pat625 » 21 Jun 2019, 02:47

OMG, it looks likes you and your wife had a beautiful trip! Also very educational. I think it is very nice to learn about your country. Those images are very wonderful. They make me eager to see more!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#9 by skinnyhouse » 21 Jun 2019, 06:01

Amazing stuff OMG. Can't wait for more. Thank you in advance.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by oldmangrumpy » 21 Jun 2019, 06:55

Pat and Skinnyhouse - thanks for your comments.

So lets see some more of this wonderful place, this time in the main town/port of Broome, where pearls and dinosaur footprints are key attractions. Below are some dinosaur footprints in the sandstone cliff overlooking Broome.

We also attended a pearl farmer's 'shop' where we saw an oyster opened to reveal the pearl, some pearls on display including one of the largest ever produced! There was also some very expensive pearl jewellery on display ... no purchase so no photo :lol:
Attachments
dino_footprints.png
dino_footprints.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1281 times
pearls_on_display.png
pearls_on_display.png (566.58 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
oyster_in_shell.png
oyster_in_shell.png (930.06 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP