It is currently 20 Feb 2020, 02:23

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

My photo album

Artworks that are created/edited using other than GIMP softwares or in a different medium
david
Forum Member

Re: My photo album

Post#301 by david » 23 May 2019, 09:32

Another challenging shot from the same series!!! Evening - seafront - towards Dogana.

david.
Attachments
Aποψη-παραλίας-προς-Ντογάνα-1.jpg
Aποψη-παραλίας-προς-Ντογάνα-1.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 927 times

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#302 by Krikor » 23 May 2019, 20:22

Krikor b/w photo enhance gimplearn
Krikor b/w photo enhance gimplearn
kefalonitikaneaTex.jpg (106.62 KiB) Viewed 917 times
I tackled an aspect that I would like to see improved in this image, I tried to increase the contrast and the texture somewhat. The highlighting of the spots was something I also liked, giving the image an old-fashioned look.

A second step would be to remove stains and dirt from the image. A third step might be to give an hdr aspect in the mountains in the background and in the empty sky, creating an artificial sky with clouds. A fourth step would be coloring.

Enjoying that I had the image open, I joked a little more.
Attachments
Krikor b/w photo enhance gimplearn False color
Krikor b/w photo enhance gimplearn False color
kefalonitikaneaCorMini.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 914 times
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

david
Forum Member

Post#303 by david » 25 May 2019, 09:00

Krikor,

Great results. I like the coloured version especially.

My attempt: blurring of the sky to hide the marks, general clean-up of the image. Colours/Curves - boost to the darkest areas and a slight "kink" to the top of the curve to limit extreme brightness.

david.
Attachments
Aποψη-παραλίας-προς-Ντογάνα-2.jpg
Aποψη-παραλίας-προς-Ντογάνα-2.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#304 by Krikor » 27 May 2019, 01:58

david wrote:
25 May 2019, 09:00
Krikor,

Great results. I like the coloured version especially.

My attempt: blurring of the sky to hide the marks, general clean-up of the image. Colours/Curves - boost to the darkest areas and a slight "kink" to the top of the curve to limit extreme brightness.

david.
David,

It is often impossible or too difficult to notice the changes when we examine small images.
I particularly copy and open the images in Gimp to check the before and after, so I can better notice the subtle changes made, and learn a lot from it always.
An example is this your last image (Aποψη-παραλίας-προς-Ντογάνα-2.jpg) that here in the forum does not display the huge cleaning work that was done, but when you open it in gimp and compare it with the original, we have a completely different photo.
I especially liked the faces of people who are more visible without extrapolating the contrast of the image, very good.

Another example is my own image (kefalonitikaneaTex.jpg), I even looking at it here in the forum almost did not notice a big difference from it to the original one. Comparing the original with the edited (*). In Gimp we notice a lot more changes.* BIG Image
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#305 by dinasset_1 » 27 May 2019, 08:50

Krikor, are you convinced that the most important aspect of a photo is its "clean aspect"?.
IMHO it's the overall "impression" on those who look at it.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#306 by Krikor » 27 May 2019, 17:08

dinasset wrote:
27 May 2019, 08:50
Krikor, are you convinced that the most important aspect of a photo is its "clean aspect"?.
IMHO it's the overall "impression" on those who look at it.
Hi dinasset,
I don't share that opinion. Even in the last images I edited in this topic I didn't attempt to take care of this aspect (cleaning) in any of them, on the contrary, I still emphasized the imperfections in the last one.
Krikor wrote:
23 May 2019, 20:22
kefalonitikaneaTex.jpgI tackled an aspect that I would like to see improved in this image, I tried to increase the contrast and the texture somewhat. The highlighting of the spots was something I also liked, giving the image an old-fashioned look.
I believe that each image is a separate case, and that the aspect of image improvement is subjective.
In the case of old images, I particularly like to keep them as faithful as possible to their original forms. Preserving with it a little of its history and age. Some stains are as old as the photo itself, these are sorry to remove them. But as said, it is a subjective matter.

I think when I say a subjective question, I am in other words saying the same as you said: "it's the overall" impression "on those who look at it"

If somehow I did before I understood otherwise, maybe it could have been my bad English (90% via online translator).

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#307 by dinasset_1 » 28 May 2019, 08:49

My misunderstanding, sorry.

david
Forum Member

Post#308 by david » 28 May 2019, 11:03

I clean images (and remove things) where I think they are a distraction from the subject and the result is intended to be a piece of art. However, if it is intended to be a restoration of a historical document, I think great restraint is necessary.
These are my opinions, but I wish to hear the views of others.
@Krikor, Don't apologise for your English! It is better than many native English speakers that I know.
david.

david
Forum Member

Post#309 by david » 28 May 2019, 14:09

If you thought that the others from the series of photographs of Argostoli harbour were difficult try this one!
I think it is a photograph of a picture from a book, taken at an angle and with a curl to the page making the ship on the right look bent.
I have added a .zip file of the original to provide the full resolution original.

david.
Attachments
bendyboat.jpg
bendyboat.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 870 times
bendyboat.zip
(162.16 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#310 by dinasset_1 » 28 May 2019, 15:04

My weak attempt.
my-partial-try.jpg
my-partial-try.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 866 times

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP