2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

My photo album

Artworks that are created/edited using other than GIMP softwares or in a different medium
david
Forum Member

Re: My photo album

Post#311 by david » 29 May 2019, 08:26

dinasset: Nothing weak about your attempt! You have achieved good correction of the perspective and brought out the detail of the picture.

I spent a long time working on this image, but I don't think my result is any better.
I also quickly made a coloured version.

david.
Attachments
bendyboat1.jpg
bendyboat1.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
bendyboatcol1.jpg
bendyboatcol1.jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#312 by Issabella » 29 May 2019, 19:05

Impressive results, Dinasset and David on bendyboat photo.
I don't dare to try it. :giggle_purple:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#313 by Pat625 » 30 May 2019, 02:32

Dinasset and David: Would you please counsel us on how you managed to get the bend out of the right side of the picture? I tried for quite a while but could not get it consistently straight across the picture. I tried the warp tool.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#314 by Krikor » 30 May 2019, 02:36

david wrote:
29 May 2019, 08:26
dinasset: Nothing weak about your attempt! You have achieved good correction of the perspective and brought out the detail of the picture.
:what she said: It was very good the cut made by the dinasset, the image stood out more with the new centralized focus and the best luminosity obtained.
Issabella wrote:
29 May 2019, 19:05
Impressive results, Dinasset and David on bendyboat photo.
I don't dare to try it. :giggle_purple:
:what he said: David maintained the dimensions of the image by removing the side folds of the page, and opted for a darker shade in his composition. The image got much better without a doubt.

Different paths but that gave a real improvement in the original image.
How and in how many possible ways can we treat the same image and make it better? I don't think there is a limit to that.

I downloaded the zip of the image, but I confess that I haven't even decompressed it :oops: :roll:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

david
Forum Member

Post#315 by david » 30 May 2019, 08:39

Pat,
For my part, I first corrected the perspective (I used Hugin, but I expect the Perspective tool would have done the same job).
This resulted in two large triangles of transparency at the lower sides of the picture, so I had to use Heal transparency to keep the full width.
Then to the "bendyboat". I first tried to straighten it using Cage transform in one step - total failure!!! I repeated the process taking successive small slices, moving to the right. Then some cleaning of the artifacts using the Healing brush.
david.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#316 by Pat625 » 02 Jun 2019, 02:05

Thank you David for your explanations. I had tried perspective first, but just could not control it well enough to get a desired result in one place with out getting an undesired result somewhere else! I've tried cage transform a few times, and as you said, "total failure".

Trying to work with these types of photos is a very good practice for me, even if I do not post. It lets me know what I need to work on more if I want to develop any skill!

david
Forum Member

Post#317 by david » 02 Jun 2019, 13:52

Yet another Argostoli photograph for anyone to try!
I have added the .zip so that the full original resolution is available.

david.
Attachments
DSC_0026-1.jpg
DSC_0026-1.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
DSC_0026-1.zip
(8.82 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#318 by Krikor » 02 Jun 2019, 23:54

David, I tried to get a result that I had in mind, but I completely failed. I didn't find the way, it lacked technique and it was difficult to deal with this image. But it was good because I had a lot of doubts about this issue, and this is good for learning.
Attachments
Krikor hard imagem B&W Gimplearn.net
Krikor hard imagem B&W Gimplearn.net
DSC_0026-1try001.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#319 by dinasset_1 » 03 Jun 2019, 04:48

One of my tries.
DSC_0026-1 one of my tries.png
DSC_0026-1 one of my tries.png (858.02 KiB) Viewed 2158 times

david
Forum Member

Post#320 by david » 03 Jun 2019, 08:37

dinasset, a good result - these are difficult images.

Krikor, I am rarely satisfied with the results I get, but I hope that each time I learn a little more.

Here is my attempt and another picture for anyone to try.

david.
Attachments
DSC_0026-2.jpg
DSC_0026-2.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
DSC_0066.JPG
DSC_0066.JPG (100.55 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
DSC_0066.zip
(6.33 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | 🡆 Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP