2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Revive the hillustrative script - Request

Post your Script Requests for GIMP here.
Forum rules
Request your Script(s) for GIMP here in this forum.
Provide details of steps performed in GIMP so that script can be written for the process and also give the request a name so that scripts can be named after.
Krikor
Forum Member

Revive the hillustrative script - Request

Post#1 by Krikor » 05 Jan 2020, 00:28

Hello @tim ,
Could you revive the hillustrative.scm script written by Sebastien Guyader (https://discuss.pixls.us/users/sguyader/activity)?

I know there is an option in G'MIC (Illustration Look), but the result I got via G'MIC and via Pat David's tutorial steps at ( https://pixls.us/articles/highlight-blo ... art-effect ) were slightly different.
I particularly liked the results obtained when I followed the tutorial steps manually, although I believe that with the right settings one could get the same results, the problem is precisely calibrating those settings.

When running the script I get the following error:
=================================================================================================
   Hillustrative Warning
Error while executing script-fu-hillustrative:

Error: (: 1) eval: unbound variable: plug-in-gmic

GIMP Warning
'Hillustrative' plugin left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.
=================================================================================================
I tried with constantize, but it was no use.

The default base values ​​for the interface with G'MIC could be perhaps:

Code: Select all

--gimp_anisotropic_smoothing[0] 10,0.16,0.63,0.6,2.35,0.8,30,2,0,1,1,0,1

-sub[0] [1]

-simplelocalcontrast_p[1] 25,1,50,1,1,1.2,1,1,1,1,1,1
-gimp_graphic_novelfxl[1] 1,2,6,5,20,0,1,100,0,1,0,0.78,1.92,0,0,2,1,1,1,1.26,0.37,1.05
-add
-c 0,255
If this is possible, thanks in advance!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#2 by rich2005 » 05 Jan 2020, 12:42

The gmic-gimp plugin syntax changes with monotonous regularity ;)

However not too much in this case, originally for the non-qt version, only small changes for the qt version needed.

Try the attached, works here with my linux Gimp 2.10.14 / gmic-gimp 2.8.1 remember to unzip it.

Edit: The unmodified script came out of my archive. Your settings? Do not seem much difference but attached any way
Attachments
hillustrative-GMIC-QT.scm.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
hillustrative-GMIC-QT-K.scm.zip
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 05 Jan 2020, 19:04

Thanks for looking into it rich!
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#4 by Krikor » 06 Jan 2020, 19:33

Hello Rich2005,

I checked your attached QT version. (I haven't tested QT-K because my G'MIC is just QT).
The script generated an error and produced nothing when I first used it. So I used Tim's constantize script and voilà!

But even after using Constantize and no longer appearing the error messages, and still seeing the script generate the 3 expected layers, I still noticed the following:

The script somehow creates the Simple Local Contrast, Graphic Novel, and Detail layers as expected, but the Graphic Novel layer has no editing, it is exactly the same as the Simple Local Contrast layer. :o

I'm using Win10 - Samj Portable 2.10.12, G'MIC 2.6.6_pre # 190615

@@rich2005, I gave up version 2.10.14 although I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I don't test it anymore. I will wait for a more stable and less conflicting next release.

Thanks so much for the super help! :2_Thumbs:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#5 by rich2005 » 07 Jan 2020, 09:59

I checked your attached QT version. (I haven't tested QT-K because my G'MIC is just QT).
The script generated an error and produced nothing when I first used it. So I used Tim's constantize script and voilà!
The QT-K (K for Krikor) just used the gimp-graphic-novelfx settings you posted. They do not seem to make much difference.
Looks like there have been improvements in backward compatibility. No need to adjust to legacy modes with Gimp 2.10.14
But even after using Constantize and no longer appearing the error messages, and still seeing the script generate the 3 expected layers, I still noticed the following:
The script somehow creates the Simple Local Contrast, Graphic Novel, and Detail layers as expected, but the Graphic Novel layer has no editing, it is exactly the same as the Simple Local Contrast layer. :o
There is a reference right at the beginning of the script: https://discuss.pixls.us/t/highlight-bl ... ok/2509/65 and the script does what is described there. The only update I made was for the change in syntax, gimp-gmic-gtk to gimp-gmic-qt

The script originally came from here: https://discuss.pixls.us/t/recent-gimp- ... 80pre/2958 (post 65 in the above reference), hillustrative-GMICgit.scm
I'm using Win10 - Samj Portable 2.10.12, G'MIC 2.6.6_pre # 190615

I just pulled out a Win10 VM with a samj Gimp 2.10.14 and the script works there.

Hint: If you decide to dabble with the script, the gmic filter values are often a long string.
eg. " -v -99 fx_smooth_anisotropic 20,0.16,0.63,0.6,2.35,0.8,30,2,0,1,1,0,1,24"

Enable the log in gmic-gimp. Use Gimp to get the required effect. The values are recorded in the log. It then becomes a copy-paste into the script. Easier than typing in all those numbers.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 07 Jan 2020, 11:47

Without applying constantize script this is the message that comes up when executing the script in K version:

====================================================================================================
   Hillustrative Warning
Error while executing script-fu-hillustrative:
Error: (: 1) eval: unbound variable: GRAIN-EXTRACT-MODE
   GIMP Warning
'Hillustrative' plugin left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.
====================================================================================================

This time I tested the script also in version 2.10.14 Samj's portable, and got the same result.
rich2005 wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 09:59

Hint: If you decide to dabble with the script, the gmic filter values are often a long string.
eg. " -v -99 fx_smooth_anisotropic 20,0.16,0.63,0.6,2.35,0.8,30,2,0,1,1,0,1,24"

Enable the log in gmic-gimp. Use Gimp to get the required effect. The values are recorded in the log. It then becomes a copy-paste into the script. Easier than typing in all those numbers.
This tip is great!
I am confident that when it comes to Gimp version 2.10.16 this script will run smoothly.

Thank you so much Rich2005!

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#7 by Krikor » 15 Oct 2020, 19:21

Having a lot of fun with this script.
The result remains slightly different than expected, and does not produce good results on small images. Perhaps a control to adjust the amplitude of Photocomix smoothing according to the width of the image would be a good option.

Larger image version - https://i.imgur.com/hjVrJr5.png
Krikor - hillustrative script
Krikor - hillustrative script
MBs.png (924.87 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Krikor - Creative Commons
Krikor - Creative Commons
CreativeCommos.png (13.77 KiB) Viewed 276 times

mahvin
Forum Member

Post#8 by mahvin » 17 Oct 2020, 02:24

This is one awesome script and deserves to be in gimpscripts.net.
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP