2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Border Generator

Post your Script Requests for GIMP here.
Forum rules
Request your Script(s) for GIMP here in this forum.
Provide details of steps performed in GIMP so that script can be written for the process and also give the request a name so that scripts can be named after.
Lenny
Forum Member

Border Generator

Post#1 by Lenny » 23 Mar 2020, 19:28

Would it be possible for you to write a script that would generate a border from border segments? Although I've been working on cleaning up public domain Victorian era borders, basically any smallish image (100 px or so) could be adapted to make a custom border.

I can provide examples of the individual segments for testing, a screen capture video as to how I assemble the borders, as well as the few needs for user input for the border creation. These are mostly limited to:
  • -whether the segments are continuous (tileable) or need a space(s) between them, (spaces can be added to the segment image file, but it would be nice if it were customizable by the user);

-whether an offset is needed from the image edge to the vertical and horizontal border to line up to the corner segment;

-whether the left/right and top/bottom borders are rotated or flipped

-whether there is a center medallion, which would require an odd number of segments to center it properly; and,

-approximate desired border size and shape (square, rectangle), which could then be scaled to exact size by user. This would prevent stretching distortion from trying to scale a square border into a rectangle.

Here are examples of borders assembled using the filter/map/tile function for the segments and then copying/rotating the results to match the corners:
Border1EXAMPLE.png
Border1EXAMPLE.png (100.26 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
The above border has a corner segment, a regular segment, and a center medallion segment, as well as an offset from the image edge. This border can either have spaces or not between segments and still be attractive.
Border12EXAMPLE.png
Border12EXAMPLE.png (60.5 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
The above border similarly has a corner segment, a regular segment, and a needed offset from the edge to line up with the corner, but no center medallion segment. The segment for this border was designed to be joined without spaces between.
Border8EXAMPLE.png
Border8EXAMPLE.png (43.98 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
This last border needs no offset, but has a corner, a regular segment, and a center medallion, and also benefits from having a space or two between segments.

Thanks for the consideration.
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#2 by tim » 24 Mar 2020, 17:47

It's doable.
Just gotta outline the math relating to logics (which can be a little tedious) for script to loop through assemble the tiles into borders corners or middle medalion would extra logics on top of the tile used for border.
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#3 by Lenny » 25 Mar 2020, 16:30

I'm putting together the files and video for you and will send in the next day or so. We're having our first dry day in two weeks, so today it's yard work.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#4 by Lenny » 04 Apr 2020, 03:33

Sorry for the delay. I've been distracted by work around the house. I hate when life gets in the way.

I'm trying to wrap my thick head around using Inkscape to repair some poorly scanned/photographed borders, perhaps because the source material is 100+ years old. The vector vs. raster thing is above my pay grade. In my limited free time at the moment, I'm trying to figure this out -- tracing bitmaps, whether it is beneficial, and whether it is worth my time to learn it.

I'll get back to you when I'm a bit more clear on it all.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP