2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font Paths to Layers for Gimp 2.10: Release 0.04

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font Paths to Layers for Gimp 2.10: Release 0.04

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 11 Jun 2021, 11:47

Custom_Font_Paths_To_Layers_v004.py #
(24.39 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
I have a number of tools for using paths with Custom Fonts but I find this one very useful for stroking character paths multiple times and with different brushes. This update adds an option to make the current brush track the direction of the path - a feature that should be possible with dynamics but doesn't seem to work when applied to path stroking in code. This option is based on the code illustrated by Tim (I have the link somewhere)

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15959

on GimpChat that uses a function from an Ofnuts plug-in.
dialog004_defaults_new_option.jpg
dialog004_defaults_new_option.jpg # (55.61 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
At it's most basic level the filter can stroke character paths - link to resources thread here:

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2115

These settings...
dialog004_line45.jpg
dialog004_line45.jpg # (67.71 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
...generated this character...
O_Character_Line45.png
O_Character_Line45.png # (12.42 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Changing the settings to the ones below (without the tracking option) and selecting a ladybird brush...

dialog004_brush45_No_Tracking.jpg
dialog004_brush45_No_Tracking.jpg # (55.56 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

produced this result:
O_Character_Brush_No_Tracking.png
O_Character_Brush_No_Tracking.png # (51.68 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

The following settings, with the tracking option enabled, and setting the option to remove character paths if this will be the final version of the character...

dialog004_brush45_Tracking.jpg
dialog004_brush45_Tracking.jpg # (54.85 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

... produced a better outcome:

O_Character_Brush_Tracking.png
O_Character_Brush_Tracking.png # (50.56 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

And finally an example from a recent custom font that used four different leaf brushes with random dynamics (tracking option off) and then the ladybird brush (tracking option on) with slightly closer spacing.
Ladybird_Font.png
Ladybird_Font.png # (92.86 KiB) Viewed 220 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Have fun...

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#2 by Krikor » 11 Jun 2021, 20:23

Hi Skinnyhouse,

I just downloaded this 0.04 version and I'm already looking forward to checking it out!

Thanks for this great update!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by Pat625 » 12 Jun 2021, 00:04

Is there something wrong with my eyes, or is that a Ladybug not a ladybird?

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#4 by skinnyhouse » 12 Jun 2021, 07:50

Pat:
Good one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Depends on your viewpoint - East or West of the Atlantic Ocean.

Resisted the impulse to name it Personbug - to be politically correct!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 12 Jun 2021, 07:52

Another example using two brushes made with free to use clipart from Creazilla...
cars.jpg
cars.jpg # (32.89 KiB) Viewed 186 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 13 Jun 2021, 13:46

Hi Skinnyhouse,

In your hands, magic happens naturally, it even seems easy. :paint

But for mere mortals reality is less colorful. :hammer_head:

I've been tinkering with the plugin and experimenting with some brushes.

I encountered some difficulties:

1- The Custom Font Skarpal_style.xcf doesn't seem to work with the plugin.
ErrorCF.png
Krikor - Error CF Skarpal_Style
ErrorCF.png # (8.78 KiB) Viewed 163 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
2- I don't understand how the adjustments for centering the Path-Line-Brush set work.

It seems that I need to have the Line and the Brush with the same widths (size) so that they are centered.

It seems that the adjustment doesn't occur for the path, only for the Line and the Brush, so when there are different sizes between them, a decentralization occurs; since the adjustment is made in function of the left margin.
CentralizeReference2.png
Krikor - Uniform centrazilation
CentralizeReference2.png # (71.67 KiB) Viewed 163 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

When tracing with Line, the Path should follow this adjustment to the left, so when the Brush is to be traced later, it would be done over the already centered Path, giving a uniform centering.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense, sorry.
There may be a correct way to use the plugin but I haven't figured it out yet.

Great plugin improvements with this update. I will need to find or create new good brushes!

Skin, Thx!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#7 by Krikor » 13 Jun 2021, 16:24

Part II.

Another idea would be to adjust the left and right margins of the Blush.

So for example, if the Stroke Line width is 30 and the Stroke Brush width is 15 I would set the margin for the brush to 17.5 (instead of the default 10).

The problem is that the plugin doesn't accept decimal numbers, only whole numbers. It is not possible to enter the value 17.5.

I would have to find values for the Stroke Line and Stroke Brush that would produce a decimal integer value for the left margin of the Stoke brush.

Being the Stroke Line 30 and the Stroke brush 14, adjusting the Stroke Line margin to 10 and the Stroke brush margin to 18, we would have the desired centering.
CentralizeReference3.png
Krikor - Option 2
CentralizeReference3.png # (63.42 KiB) Viewed 159 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Last edited by Krikor on 14 Jun 2021, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#8 by skinnyhouse » 13 Jun 2021, 18:40

Krikor - thank you for your detailed and helpful comments. :gimp_clap: :gimp_clap:

I will try to answer as best I can.

The Skarpel style font needs replacing - I shall do it ASAP - it was uploaded at a time when that format was accepted by an earlier version. it can be corrected by adding the appropriate suffix with my Layer Utils plug-in.

[Edit: New version uploaded 14:06:21]

The line/path issue:
When I set about the original version of this filter it was intended to be a brush only implementation of a path stroking plug-in - I never really intended that line and brush would be used together in the same characters - in fact I only used the line stroking as a way of seeing how the path would be painted (it is so easy to introduce mis-formed stroking by accidentally pulling on a control point when creating paths). Often you need to zoom in on the path to see what is going on.
Mis-alignment.jpg
Mis-alignment.jpg # (115.76 KiB) Viewed 156 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Again I never intended that brushes of different sizes would be used to stroke the same path - although this can be faked by adjusting the margin sizes (if these sizes are even numbers). I was thinking of multiple random strokes with the same size but using different brush spacing.

I am sure that path centring can be added by introducing more options. Not sure about using decimal point widths - I think the line width is rounded down to an integer by the stroking process in any case - but I will check.

You are right about the left hand margin setting the path stroking positioning - this was a historical kerning issue - but also allows the user to set the margin to the size they require. For example if the user wants to add a glow to the characters at some stage it may be easier to add larger margins at the very beginning.

Work here for future versions.

Once again - very useful feedback for me Krikor. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#9 by skinnyhouse » 14 Jun 2021, 07:16

Forgot to say this:

Brushes are the key component - currently working on a breakfast brush - but the downside is that they can be very theme specific. A lot of work potentially for one custom font?

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#10 by skinnyhouse » 15 Jun 2021, 09:01

Breakfast brushes sorted - but the kerning still needs adjusting to match a wider font....
Easily done.

Breakfast.jpg
Breakfast.jpg # (83.46 KiB) Viewed 85 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic