2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Updated Luminosity & Saturation mask plug-ins

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
david
Forum Member
19th Place
266 Post(s)

Updated Luminosity & Saturation mask plug-ins

Post#1 by david » 14 Sep 2021, 16:01

I have finally got round to updating my Luminosity and Saturation mask plug-ins, so that they work more as I originally intended. In both of them I have changed the desaturated image which I use to create the masks by using gimp_drawable_levels_stretch. This creates more sensible masks. In the saturation mask plugin, I have changed to LCHCOLOR to derive the saturation.

The files:
eq_lum_mask.py #
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
satmaskLCH.py #
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
The tutorials for these:
eqlumtut.pdf #
(161.74 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
satmasktut.pdf #
(71.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
The two plug-ins are probably rarely useful and on large images very slow - even with 32GB RAM and a 4GHz processor!

If I eventually discover how to create the layers in a single loop, deleting the channels as I go along, it may speed up the process.

david.

EDIT: Updated tutorial files (incorrect link to this post corrected).
Last edited by david on 17 Sep 2021, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
908 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 16 Sep 2021, 15:06

Hi David!
I'm curious to see the results of this new update.

At the moment without my PC (it broke), and I found that the portable version is not that functional when it comes to using it on several machines. So I don't know when I'll really have time to quench my curiosity.

Thanks for improving and updating these plugins!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

david
Forum Member
19th Place
266 Post(s)

Post#3 by david » 17 Sep 2021, 09:00

More updates to these plug-ins!

These plug-ins were using large amounts of memory. By disabling "undo" this has been greatly reduced.

For instance:

With a .jpeg file of 267.5 KB (5 MB when loaded), either of the plug-ins ran in about 4 seconds, and used 103.3 MB of memory. After the change only 26.6 MB was used.

With a .tiff file of 145.3 MB (451.4 MB when loaded), the plug-ins took approximately 1 minute 40 seconds to run on my machine, and used 8.9 GB of memory. After the change this was reduced to 2.4 GB.

On my computer there was no difference in the run times, but this is because I have 32 GB of RAM. On a computer with limited RAM, and particularly a slow disc drive, I would expect it to make a very large difference.

Undo is re-instated after the plug-in runs so that any subsequent changes can be undone.

I have updated the files in this thread, including the tutorial files. There are slight changes to the operation - the order of layers is now reversed and any pre-existing channels and selections are retained in the channels palette.

david.

david
Forum Member
19th Place
266 Post(s)

Post#4 by david » 18 Sep 2021, 08:06

@Krikor

I hope you soon get your computer fixed. We will miss your contributions.

david.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic