2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Paint based on Paths Plug-in (Experimentation)

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
Krikor
Forum Member

Re: Paint based on Paths Plug-in (Experimentation)

Post#11 by Krikor » 08 Jan 2021, 16:36

Hi Skinnyhouse,

It would be possible to provide where I find this brush - Blotch brush
The result was very good! :2_Thumbs:

Thx!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#12 by gibletsWithShaman » 08 Jan 2021, 17:43

I love your textures, skinnyhouse. Those characters look super too.
Happy 25th birthday GIMP!

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#13 by Krikor » 08 Jan 2021, 20:43

Tim - Also I am not sure why but in GIMP 2.10.6, the plug-in will open and run the one time when you start-up, if you run it again it won't pop-up with option menu (so I have to restart GIMP in order to run it again).
Tim,

I just downloaded the plug-in and did an initial test.
In less than a minute the plug-in had finished its action!

I used the same image as Skinnyhouse.
mesmaimagem.png
Krikor - Paint basead on paths - Gimp Learn
mesmaimagem.png # (416.12 KiB) Viewed 582 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
However, when I tried for the second time, in another image and with new paths, the plug-in simply doesn't load; without errors, just nothing happens.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#14 by skinnyhouse » 08 Jan 2021, 22:12

Krikor:

Not played with this for a long time but had a look at my brushes. I don't have one called Blotch brush - or anything similar - so I guess I just used one that produced a blotch type texture. Nothing springs to mind - sorry.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#15 by Krikor » 08 Jan 2021, 22:49

Skinnyhouse,

No problem, in fact I already have some good brushes for this experiment myself. I have also found this brush that I was looking for.

Thx!

BTW:
Have you by any chance figured out how to make the plug-in work normally without having to restart each use?
skinnyhouse wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 16:05
[...]
Frustrated by running only once (2.10.8 gimp.org) so removed the brush dialog and used context settings from brush toolbox instead. Works fine for me and can re-run without quitting - some promising results when pasting generated new image paint layers and playing with different layer modes. Will post when I have results worth sharing.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#16 by skinnyhouse » 09 Jan 2021, 09:58

Krikor:

Well my adapted version of Tim's version 7 appears to still work with Gimp 2.10.22.

Set brush and brush size in Gimp and it will use these values to produce your next masterpiece.

Apologies to Tim - but if it's useful to you Krikor, you're welcome.
paint_based_on_paths_7b.py #
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#17 by Krikor » 10 Jan 2021, 00:23

Very nice to be able to test this script without having to restart the gimp at each run.
Skinnyhouse, with your version, I was able to run the plug-in simultaneously on two images, and there is no need to create paths.
PaintBaseadpath7a.png
Krikor - PaintbasedOnPath sample test
PaintBaseadpath7a.png # (749.65 KiB) Viewed 543 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
I think Tim was very creative when he created this plug-in.

Tim and Skinnyhouse, thank you very much.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#18 by tim » 10 Jan 2021, 13:47

The paths were needed to tell the plug-in which direction to apply angle of brush strokes.
Without paths, it's just random texture.
so that if you had a circular path example your brush strokes would look like a painter was going around in a circle.
Without paths, it's just random brush strokes in any direction.
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#19 by Krikor » 10 Jan 2021, 19:26

tim wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 13:47
The paths were needed to tell the plug-in which direction to apply angle of brush strokes.
Without paths, it's just random texture.
so that if you had a circular path example your brush strokes would look like a painter was going around in a circle.
Without paths, it's just random brush strokes in any direction.
Tim, I totally agree with you.
Using paths the result of the image from post #17 with the same parameters looks like this:
Attachments
PaintBaseadpath.png
Krikor - Paint based on paths - gimp Learn
PaintBaseadpath.png # (482.95 KiB) Viewed 519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#20 by Krikor » 10 Jan 2021, 19:49

When I installed the Skinnyhouse version I thought it would run concurrently with the original version of this plug-in. So, I didn't remove the original version from the plug-in folder.

Somehow it worked, even though only one of the plug-ins appeared on the menu. Even stranger, it allowed the use of the plug-in without the need for paths and without having to restart Gimp with each use of the plug-in.

But...

As Tim pointed out in post # 18, the paths have a strong influence on the traces of the painting.

So I decided to take advantage of both versions, and modified the code just enough for that purpose. I now have both plug-ins and each with its own menu.

However, with this change the Skinnyhouse version no longer runs without paths! and I also liked the texture version created without paths :-(

Okay, without despair.
It is enough to create a small path, only symbolic, without delimiting traces, and this result is obtained.

Resume:
It is now possible to run the plug-in with paths, with a 'symbolic' path, and as many times as you like without having to restart Gimp.

Just to demonstrate the results with paths and a 'symbolic' path.

Top to bottom - Originals / With 'Symbolic' Path / With Paths.
1001BaseStart.png
Krikor - Paint basead on paths Samples1
1001BaseStart.png # (202.59 KiB) Viewed 518 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
1001WithFalsePath.png
Krikor - 'Symbolic' Samples2
1001WithFalsePath.png # (317.59 KiB) Viewed 518 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
1001WithPaths.png
Krikor -With Paths Samples3
1001WithPaths.png # (308.02 KiB) Viewed 518 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic