2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Seamless Cut Plug-in

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
tim
GL Blogger

Seamless Cut Plug-in

Post#1 by tim » 29 Mar 2019, 02:44

This plug-in will help in extracting a seamless pattern/tile from an existing seamless pattern fill image that isn't seamless.
It takes a little time to scan your selection to find best place to make cut but is way more fun to use than manually cutting.
seamless_cut_vert_hori.py
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Plug-in Menu Location: Python-Fu/Create New/Seamless Cut

Instructions: (You can watch below video to see how the whole process works)
  1. Have an image that was contains a seamless pattern (but the image itself isn't seamless).
  2. Make a vertical selection of where you think the vertical seam should be within.
  3. Run plug-in (Python-Fu/Create New/Seamless Cut). Select "Vertical" then OK to run plug-in.
  4. Let it run (scan the selection area) to find best place to cut to produce a new image that is horizontally seamless.
  5. Now on the newly created image, make a horizontal selection of where you think the horizontal seam should be within.
  6. Run plug-in. This time select "Horizontal" then OK to run plug-in.
  7. Let it run (scan the selection area) to find best place to cut to produce a new image that is now completely seamless.
Sample input:
strawberry-not-seamless-but-contains-a-seamless-pattern.png
strawberry-not-seamless-but-contains-a-seamless-pattern.png (108.06 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Sample output:
horizontally-seamless-after-a-vertical-cut.png
horizontally-seamless-after-a-vertical-cut.png (40.96 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
seamless-after-vertical-cut-and-horizontal-cut.png
seamless-after-vertical-cut-and-horizontal-cut.png (29.71 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Video of me creating the seamless tile output of an image that contains a seamless tile but isn't seamless itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Ex45TQk_M
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#2 by Krikor » 29 Mar 2019, 20:31

I still have not read the instructions, direct guide to check the video. I thought watching the video would understand how the script works.

Actually, I've watched 2 times and did not understand correctly how to use it, although I think I understood the purpose of the script.

At 30 seconds of the video, I needed to stop it and restart it. I noticed that I was enjoying the music and was not paying attention to the video! :happy_purple: :yay_yay_purple:

I was just with that Tim wish, I have a Pattern that although 1000x1000 loses the seamless when applied on larger images.
I will definitely have to learn how to use this script, thx a lot.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by Pat625 » 27 Mar 2020, 09:19

I missed this somehow. I have trouble doing seamless, so I will definitely try this!

Blighty
Forum Member

Post#4 by Blighty » 27 Mar 2020, 09:44

Krikor wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 20:31
I have used this script several times. It works well.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#5 by Krikor » 01 Apr 2020, 13:48

Blighty wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 09:44
Krikor wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 20:31
I have used this script several times. It works well.
Blighty, thanks for bringing this post to the fore.
This made me try it again, and this time I was finally able to understand it and get excellent results!

The pattern was applied to a 2000x1280 canvas and the result was much better than I could get with any other method I tried in parallel, like resinthesize for example.
Krikor - Plugin SeamlessCut by Tim
Krikor - Plugin SeamlessCut by Tim
SeamlessCut2000x1280.png (428.86 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/gingertea-358 ... ngertea</a> from pixabay.com
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP