2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font WordWall v.001

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font WordWall v.001

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 08 Feb 2020, 09:04

Custom_Font_WordWall_v001.py
(90.19 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
WordWall-UserDoc.pdf
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
I wanted to try and create a filter to help showcase some of the amazing custom fonts that people like Alan and GJL produce weekly, if not daily, on GimpLearn: Some of their results are like miniature works of art.

This plug-in will take text (short messages are ideal) and display it a number times across an image using a selection of custom fonts from a designated folder. The text can be displayed horizontally, vertically or diagonally. There are also options to adjust the spacing between characters, to add a basic drop shadow and to shuffle the order of the layers.

Download the plug-in and install it in your usual user folder.
01_dialog.png
01_dialog.png (22.01 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Create a new image and open the filter dialog:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font WordWall v.001

Step 1: Creating a large-character backdrop

Click on the Custom font folder and navigate to the folder containing the custom fonts you wish to use. If you have a folder with a large number of custom fonts, you may wish to create a temporary folder containing a limited number of fonts – perhaps those derived from the same initial base font. I used a folder with a set of recent custom fonts by GJL.

Then enter the text, number of repeats, the replacement style and drop shadow options (if required). For this first stage set ‘Allow characters after image boundary’ to ‘Yes’; this will result in potentially largest text sizes being used as a textual backdrop.
02_dialog.png
02_dialog.png (22.35 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Click on ‘OK’ to view the results.
03_Step_1.png
03_Step_1.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
The text is kept as individual layers that can be dragged around, or modified with any of the Gimp’s other filters, if you wish.
04_Step_2.png
04_Step_2.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
Repeat the process if necessary:

Step 2: Filling in some of the gaps

Set ‘Allow characters before image boundary’ to ‘Yes’; this will result in text sizes being used as potentially not so large as in Step 1. I kept the other settings at their former values – but have fun and use undo if necessary.
05_Step_3.png
05_Step_3.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
Again, drag the newly added layers and/or adjust the layer opacity, to suit your preferences; my adjustments are shown below.
06_Step_4.png
06_Step_4.png (1.65 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
Step 3: Adding the final layers of text

Unset any ‘before’ or ‘after’ options to use text at a smaller sizes and make any other alterations, before clicking on ‘OK’; I altered the text from ‘SLIDING’ to ‘SLIDING DOWN’ but kept everything else the same.
07_Step_5.png
07_Step_5.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
As before, drag layers around where it seems appropriate.
08_Step_6.png
08_Step_6.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
Step 4: Optionally add a background to suit
09_Step_7.png
09_Step_7.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3397 times

NB. The plug-in loads and then stores the information about the custom font names and locations the first time it draws text, so that subsequent calls to the filter are much quicker. If you decide to delete all the layers it will lose this information and have to load it all again. Unless you wish to use a different folder, leaving just one layer (visibility off) will not reduce the speed of drawing the text.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 09 Feb 2020, 11:17

Skinnyhouse, you amaze me! I like what you have accomplished! ! Can't thank you enough for all you have created

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP