2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Cascading text

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
Steve Reid
Script Coder

Cascading text

Post#1 by Steve Reid » 08 Apr 2020, 18:11

Cascading text

For anyone interested the zipped file contains the script that created the gifs, along with small text blocks to practice on and two larger text blocks to crop from, or you can make your own

Thanks for looking

steve
cascading-text.zip
(230.61 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
fontsize20.gif
fontsize20.gif (3.93 MiB) Viewed 726 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Steve Reid
Script Coder

Post#2 by Steve Reid » 08 Apr 2020, 18:16

With bigger text
fontsize40.gif
fontsize40.gif (2.94 MiB) Viewed 725 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#3 by Lenny » 10 Apr 2020, 19:20

Nice effect! I saw something like this used very effectively as a layer behind the American Flag, where the white stripes and stars were made transparent and the background of the cascading text was white. It was used to illustrate big tech's increasing control of the country.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#4 by Issabella » 11 Apr 2020, 05:47

Steve, Thank you so much for sharing your script doing such a nice effect.
If possible, I'd like you gave more information about it,(just as a guide). I read your text for more information but no luck in my first try. I have to find out if it is for my old version of Gimp.
Thank you so much in advance.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Steve Reid
Script Coder

Post#5 by Steve Reid » 11 Apr 2020, 08:25

Thanks Lenny, I'm imagining the effect you describe and its given me a couple of ideas to try

Thank you Issabella, sorry the script doesn't work for you, I'm using gimp 2.8.22. and I don't know if it will work on versions older/newer than this

When running my screen looks like in the image below, and a selection box moves up and down, then left to right through the columns

Using the small image with default values it takes less than 4 minutes on my computer to complete, if you are using a bigger image the last two steps of reversing and then renaming the layers can take a few minutes, during this time nothing seems to be happening and the script seems to hang

After the script has run, you have to save the result as a .gif or run the result in Filters -> Animation -> Playback

Sorry if my instruction text was unclear or lacking details, hope you get it working, if you have any specific questions or get stuck at a particular point please don't hesitate to ask

steve
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (102.01 KiB) Viewed 651 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#6 by tim » 11 Apr 2020, 20:41

Very cool, It reminds me the matrix.
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP