2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font Bevel Reflect for Gimp 2.10

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font Bevel Reflect for Gimp 2.10

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 17 Nov 2020, 09:25

Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect.py
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Resources.zip
(5.65 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
PDF copy of this guide:
Custom Font Bevel Reflect for Gimp 2.10.pdf
(519.55 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Download the filter and extract it, if necessary, before saving it to your user plug-in folder. If you do not have the Bevel Reflect Logo script and Plug-in, they can be downloaded using links at GimpScripts.com. Follow this link to the relevant GimpScripts page:

https://www.gimpscripts.net/search?q=Bevel+Reflect+Logo

The accompanying zipped Resources folder contains two tester custom font files, with just three characters, for you to experiment with and a selection of emap image files (in case you have none to hand). Unzip the file and save the resources you want to use to a location of your choice

Sample result with highlights applied to existing decorated characters:
Custom Font Bevel Reflect for Gimp 2.10.pdf
(519.55 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
RYG_Samplar.jpg
RYG_Samplar.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Cable_Twist_Examplar.jpg
Cable_Twist_Examplar.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 704 times
This custom font tool applies the bevel reflect logo script (version 1.7), which must be on your system, to all the characters in a custom font file. All the hard work done by GnuTux, originally in 2013, and lately by MareroQ can now be used to add those delicious, highlighted bevels to your custom fonts.

One word of caution, however, is that it does take a fair amount of time for the original script to do its work: My machine took about 25 minutes to render 122 character layers. This obviously gives you time to catch up on other non-Gimp tasks, but my advice, as usual, is to experiment with two or three characters before using the filter with a full character set.

The filter dialog can be found at:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Bevel Reflect...

The filter dialog mirrors most of the options that you would expect to find in the original Bevel Reflect Logo script, in order to give you as many opportunities as possible to tweak your results.
If you have used BRL in the past you should feel perfectly at home.
Dialog_v000.jpg
Dialog_v000.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 704 times
The first two options are those that I have added.

The trim pixels option allows you to tidy up the character edges, should this be needed, by removing pixels from the character edges. I tend to use a value of 3: This may sound like a drastic amount but if you use Custom Font Facemaker to add the same number of extra pixels, when decorating the original custom font character file, you will end up with the same character thickness.

The second option is really intended for use when adding highlights to an existing set of custom font characters. It basically desaturates the output from BRL before applying it with grain merge mode to each custom font character. This option allows you to choose which type of desaturation to use – depending on how dark the characters are to begin with.

Using the filter with Emap files

Make sure that your custom font characters all have a mid-grey colour for best results.

Open your chosen character file from the File menu.
PlainGrey_A.jpg
PlainGrey_A.jpg (9.33 KiB) Viewed 704 times
An emap is simply a file that BRL can use in order to apply colours to, as in our case, a character layer. There are plenty of resources available to download from GimpChat – or you can create your own with any image and the Map Object filter using the sphere option on a transparent background.

Use only png images with a transparent background (or at least with a transparent pixel in the top left corner) unless you want to have a coloured background applied to all your characters.
Blues_2.png
Blues_2.png (131.9 KiB) Viewed 704 times
This is the png emap that I am using which I keep in a folder named Emaps.

Call up the filter dialog:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Bevel Reflect…

Set the following options:

Trim option: 3
Slope Options: Round2 Bevel
Emap Specular Highlight: 0.50
Detail Level: 3

Click on the Spherical Emap option folder icon and navigate to the location of your saved emap file and click on it.

Click on the dialog ‘OK’ button.

My outcome shown below:
Blue_2_A.jpg
Blue_2_A.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 704 times
You can also use the current gradient to generate a colour map within BRL.

Below I set the foreground and background colours to different reds and selected the
FG to BG (RGB) as the gradient and used the same settings and grey character apart from the following options.

Click in the Spherical Emap option and delete the existing text before typing in the word ‘none’.
Set the Environment Map Type to Spherical Topo (Active Gradient)

My results:
Red_A.png
Red_A.png (60.94 KiB) Viewed 704 times
If you want to try out different settings, use Undo (Ctrl + Z) and have a play.

Using the filter with existing decorated characters

Open the file containing the decorated character/s from the File menu.

This is my test character, using an image from Unsplash (reminds me of a door-chime box we used to have) that has been coloured with a green gradient:
Green_Pattern.png
Green_Pattern.png (121.66 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Select a light and dark tone colour for your foreground and then for your background colour; I used a light and a dark orange.

Select the foreground – background RGB gradient (FG to BG RGB) for the purpose of this guide. You could choose any gradient but the results could vary considerably from my outcomes.

Open the filter dialog once more.

If you have already used the filter with an emap, click on the Spherical Emap option folder icon, delete the text and replace it with the word ‘none’.

Use the following settings:

Trim option: 3
Emap Specular Highlight: 0.50
Detail Level: 3

Select ‘Desaturate Average’ from the ‘Desaturate emap result options’.

Select whichever of the ‘Stroke Options’ you prefer and click on the dialog ‘OK’ button.

The three slope options produced the results, in their order, shown below:
Green_Pattern_All_Stroke_Options.png
Green_Pattern_All_Stroke_Options.png (105.19 KiB) Viewed 704 times
If you decide to keep the ‘Desaturate emap result options’ as ‘None applied’ then the colours from your selected gradient will be grain-merged with the colours in the existing character.

Here are the results that I obtained with each of the desaturation options (in order):
Green_Pattern_Desat_Options.png
Green_Pattern_Desat_Options.png (174.01 KiB) Viewed 704 times
This options provides a method of slightly lightening or darkening the effect on the images used by different custom font files.

There are plenty of other options to play with; ‘Environment map type’ and ‘Contour Options’ can make quite a difference to your outcomes.

Have GIMP? Have fun!

Thank you GnuTux and MareroQ.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 17 Nov 2020, 11:15

Skinnyhouse, I have read your .pdf and post and love your results! You never cease to amaze me with continuing new scripts and ways to adapt existing scripts for easier use of them for font making. Thank you for sharing them with all of us!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#3 by skinnyhouse » 18 Nov 2020, 07:44

Thank you Pat - just could not resist those highlights any longer.

BTW If anyone has problems when using Spherical Cloud as the Environment map type i.e. Gimp crashes it is not a problem with this plug-in but with a line in the Bevel Reflect Logo script.

If you open that script in a text editor (not a word-processor) and alter script Line 484 - by changing CUSTOM to CUSTOM-BLEND - it should solve this issue.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#4 by Issabella » 18 Nov 2020, 08:33

Skinnyhouse, thank you so much for this new attractive tool for Custome Fonts.
As you recommend to do a short test before running the whole set of Font. But my test stops at once just at the beginning.
Surely I am doing wrong. I post the problem I have. Thank you so much.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-18  problems.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-18 problems.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 18 Nov 2020, 12:25

Hi Issa...

Oh dear I cannot tell from the screenshot what the problem is. I need more information if you can provide it.

Was there another error message dialog that came up as well as the one on the screen?

The plug-in was tested on gimp.org versions 2.10.20 and 2.10.22 but not on any portable versions and also needs Bevel Reflect Logo script 1.7 and the ML Bevel Reflect2 plug-in.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#6 by Issabella » 18 Nov 2020, 17:48

Thank you so much Skinnyhouse, I've tried it and installed the versions of the script and the file exe but it still continues giving problems. So I have had to remove them and replace the old ones. Perhaps it's a problem with my gimp version.
Anyway, I enjoy the wonderful custom fonts you, GJL and Alan create. Thank you so much. :gimp_clap: :cool:
Issabella

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#7 by skinnyhouse » 18 Nov 2020, 18:45

I did not actually have the scripts on my current machine and had to download them from the links provided by Mahvin's Gimpscripts.com.
I put the MLBevelReflect application into my user plug-ins (well actually I got it wrong at first and put it into my scripts folder which didn't work) folder and the Bevel-Reflect-Logo script into my user scripts folder.

If you do have another go and get an error message it would be a big help if you could click on the more info button to see what the details of the message are.

Thank you for your support.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#8 by Issabella » 18 Nov 2020, 20:15

These are the warnings about it.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-18 Error.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-18 Error.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Screenshot 2020-11-18 layers.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-18 layers.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Screenshot 2020-11-18 settings.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-18 settings.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Issabella

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#9 by skinnyhouse » 18 Nov 2020, 21:29

Could you open the bevel reflect logo scm script in your user scripts folders with a text editor and see what version it says in the first line.

If it says ' ; Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6', you have an older version that needs updating.

If it says '; Bevel Reflect Logo V1.7', it's the right version and I will have to look at portable version problems.

Thank you in advance.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#10 by Issabella » 19 Nov 2020, 07:57

Thank you so much for your interest.
Yes, I have v1.7 installed
Attachments
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 603 times
warning on the right.jpg
warning on the right.jpg (28.18 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Issabella

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic