2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font Layer Utilities Version 1.22

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font Layer Utilities Version 1.22

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 20 Dec 2020, 09:21

This should have a K appended really since it is probably only useful to Krikor and me. But hey-ho you never know.
Custom_Font_Layer_Utilities_v122.py #
(40.97 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Download and install to your user plug-in folder. Access the filter from

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Layer Utils v1.22...

The new dialog option shown in red below:
dialog_122.jpg
dialog_122.jpg # (83.87 KiB) Viewed 2033 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
Open the file with layers that you want to change from ordinary Gimp generated names to custom font character names.

Set the bottom option to 'Yes'.

Click on 'OK'.

Job done!

Caveat: The utility will be able to create 52 layers (i.e. upper and lower-case) before it repeats the naming process and Gimp adds an extra numerical suffix.

Why have this option?

Some custom font filters produce results that folk may want to apply to non-custom font files (thinking Custom Font Metallic/GT Lighting Effects and Bevel Reflect filters). Easy enough to change one layer to custom font format with, say, 'a.png': But this becomes a pain with multiple layers.

If it's useful - it's useful! If not - it's useless!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#2 by skinnyhouse » 20 Dec 2020, 10:46

A Recent Example Workflow - Gold Stars 2:

Step 1:

I grabbed some asterisk unicode symbols using Custom Font Layers From Fonts With Fixed Margins... (catchy name I know)
This gave me 19 layers in total.

Step 2:

I renamed the layers to custom font format using Custom Font Layer Utilities V1.22...

Unicode_To_CustomFont.png
Unicode_To_CustomFont.png # (60.74 KiB) Viewed 2029 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Step 3:

I added a gold pattern layer and added this decoration to the plain white font character faces using Custom Font Face Maker...

CustomFont_To_FaceMaker.png
CustomFont_To_FaceMaker.png # (161.96 KiB) Viewed 2029 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Step 4:

I added some bevelled highlights to the gold using Custom Font Bevel Reflect 1.6...

FaceMaker_To_BevelReflect.png
FaceMaker_To_BevelReflect.png # (240.18 KiB) Viewed 2029 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Job done! Now the results are available to use as individual layers in a project (or even as a partial custom font if I add an extra empty layer as the space character i.e. 'space.png'.

Stars2.jpg
Stars2.jpg # (102.99 KiB) Viewed 2029 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#3 by Krikor » 20 Dec 2020, 20:04

Wowww !!! :confetti:

Amazing how the whole process got much faster!
It is possible to make some edits in less than 5 minutes! :gimp_clap:

I still have to understand how the plugin options work.

►Why 75% on the character scale?

►How does the plugin know which option to take?
- Legacy Mode - Normal
- New mode - Normal

If I want another mode, and select for example New Mode - HSV Hue. Will the plugin work with the Legacy Mode Normal or the New Mode selected mode?

►Is there a topic or tutorial that introduces the script's features?
I found a topic about the previous version; it was helpful, but doubts still persist.

Skinnyhouse, thanks for this update. The time savings are now fantastic!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#4 by skinnyhouse » 20 Dec 2020, 21:27

Krikor:

I think the most involved features were introduce in v 1.13 and 1.12

Link to creating lower-case from upper-case help introduced in Layer Utils 1.12

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2015&p=22427&hilit ... ies#p22427

Link to creating a new custom font by sandwiching layers together first introduced in Layer Utils 1.13

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2032&p=22701&hilit= ... ies#p22701

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#5 by Krikor » 20 Dec 2020, 23:48

Thx a lot!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 21 Dec 2020, 02:43

Reading the post of the first link I learned a lot, but at a given moment I came across the following situation:

After creating the path (base_line.png), I ran the plugin with the default sets.

The conversion to lowercase occurred until reaching the 'i.png' layer, when the plugin then accuses an error and stops.

The interesting thing is that if I remove this layer (i.png) the plugin runs smoothly, converting all existing letters to lowercase.

Why this problem specifically with the letter 'I'?

Perhaps the width of this layer is too narrow?

Is this a problem already known from previous versions?

Em anexo deixo o XCF com apenas 7 camadas.
Thx.
Attachments
TestingCFLU122.zip #
Krikor - Testing Custom Font Layer Utilities V 1.22 - ERROR letter I
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#7 by skinnyhouse » 21 Dec 2020, 08:04

Definitely a size issue Krikor that needs further attention.

Scaling the font up to a height size of 500 px worked perfectly. I'm a 600 px height person - and still they say that size isn't everything!

In the short term why not create your font in a bigger size, create the lower case with the layer utility and then scale down that version for use.

Think Santa really needs to double the size of that pendrive so that you can think big. :fb_haha:

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#8 by skinnyhouse » 21 Dec 2020, 11:04

Scaling.JPG
Scaling.JPG # (28.01 KiB) Viewed 1998 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#9 by Krikor » 21 Dec 2020, 14:17

Well, that custom font was just for testing. In it I experiment with adjustments and features.
As I am still not aware of the process, the techniques and functionality of the plugins / scripts, I use smaller fonts to save time.

I found that by increasing the width of the 'I.png' layer, the plugin doesn't stop anymore, runs smoothly.

Thx!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#10 by skinnyhouse » 21 Dec 2020, 14:39

Another interesting thing: My system stopped at letter 'C' consistently. You would have thought it would report an error at the same place.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic