2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font FaceMaker Version 0.06

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Custom Font FaceMaker Version 0.06

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 14 Apr 2021, 20:11

An update to improve the handling of applying finer details to custom font edges for GJL.

Also adds finer increments for growing the characters.

Download and install to your user plug-in folder.
Custom_Font_Face_Maker_v006.py #
(39.12 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
The dialog:
dialog_006.jpg
dialog_006.jpg # (50.31 KiB) Viewed 345 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Simple example below (version 6 on the left - version 4 on the right):

Example.jpg
Example.jpg # (34.92 KiB) Viewed 343 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Last edited by skinnyhouse on 15 Apr 2021, 12:10, edited 2 times in total.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 15 Apr 2021, 05:12

Skinnyhouse, again I must thank you for all your work and caring making improvements for the GIMP custom fonts. You are so dedicated! Thank you again (many times over). You have really added to the enjoyment that we get from GIMP! :gimp_clap: :thank_you:

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#3 by Krikor » 15 Apr 2021, 15:06

Skinnyhouse,

About the << Grow character (Use before Shinne effect) >> option, does it mean that I should only use this option if I am going to use the Shinne effect?

Regarding the Example.jpg image, the sharpness obtained with the new version is clear. This will greatly improve the contrast of the font with the background used. :thumbsup:

But if you could have the original image between before and after, without applying the filters, it would be even more informative.

I say this because there was not only an improvement in the sharpness of the font, there was also a considerable change.

The red part grew at the expense of reducing the white part; which means that in part there was a loss of detail, which depending on the designer may be unwanted.

But without knowing what the original elements were like, before the filters were run, I can't say anything.

Thanks for the continued improvements to the Customs Fonts package!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#4 by skinnyhouse » 15 Apr 2021, 16:19

Thank you Krikor - I always find your comments very helpful.

I shall find a better way to describe the grow option for the nexr release - which was originally intended to be used with the Shine effect, but now is also useful for the Bevel Reflect filter and indeed any other filter that will shrink the character selection and therefore the size of the finished character.

Here are further examples of the FaceMaker filter to better illustrate the improvements in version 0.06 which the post by GJL instigated.

They show again the Vanessa font - the original whitebase custom font is the one in white. The examples all copy a plain red layer onto the face without the use of any other filters.

The top red row shows version 0.04 on the left and version 0.06 on the right. You can see one or two selection artifacts in both examples - normally these would be disguised by the actions of applying another filter.

The bottom red row uses the 'Clear contents of original character' option set to 'Yes'. Version 0.04 shows almost no selection artifacts (on the left again) - I can detect no artifacts with version 0.06 on the right hand side.

For most custom fonts I think this would probably not be required.

Hope this makes things clearer!

Example2.jpg
Example2.jpg # (53.66 KiB) Viewed 330 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#5 by Krikor » 15 Apr 2021, 19:47

Skinnyhouse,

Thanks for the detailed explanation!
In addition to better understanding the use of the "Grow" option, I also learned about the usefulness of the 'Clear contents of original character' option.

In fact, the result with this option; image on the bottom right, was the one that pleased me the most! :2_Thumbs:

I hope to be able to play with this new version a little tomorrow.

Thank you very much!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic