2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Font Paths to Layers Release 0.06 for Gimp 2.10

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Custom Font Paths to Layers Release 0.06 for Gimp 2.10

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 11 Jul 2021, 06:31

Custom_Font_Paths_To_Layers_v006.py #
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
This release adds a new feature to the Emulate dynamics options introduced in the previous version.

This guide will concentrate on the new feature but the thread for Release 0.05 will give you more information about the other dynamics options (if you are new to the wonderful world of custom paths, that thread will provide more information and links to relevant resources).

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3002

Download the plug-in and install it in your user plug-ins folder. Run the filter from:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Paths to Layers v.0.06…

I have re-organized and extended the filter dialog:
dialog_006.jpg
dialog_006.jpg # (78.96 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

The brush and line size options have been combined into Primary and Secondary stroke size options.

The brush dynamics options include the new track size (taper) options:
dialog_006_highlighted_dynamics.jpg
dialog_006_highlighted_dynamics.jpg # (25.35 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

To use the taper with your currently selected brush, set both the ‘Emulate brush dynamics’ option and the ‘Track size (taper strokes)’ option to ‘Yes’. The brush size will fade or taper in the direction that the path was originally created. In the example below, the letter ‘M’ character path was made with two strokes and the anchor points were added in the order indicated by the arrows.
M-char-path-decon.jpg
M-char-path-decon.jpg # (27.84 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

The default option strokes the first path in each character with the full character width and then tapers the other strokes to the width value set by the ‘Minimum taper size’ option.
Gem_NoFirst_Taper.jpg
Gem_NoFirst_Taper.jpg # (35.52 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Set the ‘Taper all strokes in characters’ option to ‘Yes’ to apply the taper to each stroke in each character path:
Gem_All_Taper.jpg
Gem_All_Taper.jpg # (33.81 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

One point to consider is that the brush spacing may need to be lowered when using the taper effect.

There is an exclusion option to prevent the filter from adding a taper to the nominated characters. This can be useful when the character stroke returns to where it begins – think letter ‘O’ type characters. Obviously, this will depend upon the way in which the character paths have been constructed. The example below shows a typical 'O' character, removed from the exclusion box, where thefirst and last path anchors appear to join up.
O-char-allowed.jpg
O-char-allowed.jpg # (31.83 KiB) Viewed 152 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Further examples in the following post...

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#2 by skinnyhouse » 11 Jul 2021, 07:04

The plug-in allows you to create characters which cannot be made with the other custom font tools. All you need is the right brush.

My brush for this custom font (hardly the most inspiring brush to look at):
italic-bar.png
italic-bar.png # (359.99 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
(BTW if you want to use this image as a brush, you will have to rename it with the '.gbr' extension and save it to your personal brushes resource folder.)

My settings were:

brush spacing 5
stroke path width 72
repeat strokes 1

with all the others as default.

A character without emulation turned on - you can see the potential for an italic style effect:
Carrington_NoEmulation.jpg
Carrington_NoEmulation.jpg # (44.66 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Emulation turned on and track direction used - disappointing?
Carrington_TrackDirection.jpg
Carrington_TrackDirection.jpg # (52.15 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Emulation with random brush angle set - a mop-like effect which I quite liked.
Carrington_RandomAngle.jpg
Carrington_RandomAngle.jpg # (57.39 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And finally using the Taper effect with all strokes. That's what I had in my head!
Carrington_TaperAll.jpg
Carrington_TaperAll.jpg # (38.99 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
I did use the brush to create a set of characters: I used a brush spacing size of 1 but I had to create the characters in two groups because I ran out of memory the first time!

Krikor
Forum Member
13th Place
862 Post(s)

Post#3 by Krikor » 12 Jul 2021, 02:44

:gimp_clap: Skinnyhouse, the italic style effect was excellent! :gimp_clap:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#4 by skinnyhouse » 12 Jul 2021, 18:12

Thanks Krikor...

...italic is where I started.

I did a little test using one of my italic custom fonts and an italic character path version.

Both had the same emboss and decoration applied. I could hardly tell the difference.
compared.png
compared.png # (96.57 KiB) Viewed 117 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The character path based one is on the left!

The actual gbr brush used was a simple rounded rectangle at a 45 degree angle. Here are a few that give slightly different angles on the downstroke. Download, decompress and add to your user brush folder in Gimp.

Simple-Italic-Brushes.7z #
(9.37 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
BrushStrokes.jpg
BrushStrokes.jpg # (52.68 KiB) Viewed 117 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Krikor
Forum Member
13th Place
862 Post(s)

Post#5 by Krikor » 13 Jul 2021, 15:20

Skinnyhouse, there is a noticeable difference between the 'A' characters in the preview image.

Basically the "italic custom font" character seems to be sharper and thicker, while the "italic character path version" seems to have a greater dose of smoothness.

But this difference is notable for being side by side in the image above.

I don't think there is one better than the other, it would be more a question of suitability for use.

Thanks for the brush in the attachment!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#6 by skinnyhouse » 14 Jul 2021, 11:17

Thanks for the feedback K :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#7 by skinnyhouse » 14 Jul 2021, 11:35

Playing with a set of character paths based on a font called Argos George.

By careful placement of the paths with taper enabled (and using an italic nib brush) some interesting shaping can be achieved; hopefully this can be used with different brushes and effects.

Below a whitebase character and a path generated version (in black).
George_Test.jpg
George_Test.jpg # (24.28 KiB) Viewed 93 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic