skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Custom Font Pixpath for Gimp 2.10 version 0.01

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2226 Post(s)

Custom Font Pixpath for Gimp 2.10 version 0.01

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 10 Nov 2021, 11:22

This is the first version of a plug-in based on a suggestion by PixLab for editing character paths before saving a custom font file. If you like working with paths this may help your workflow.
Custom_Font_PixPaths_v_0_01.py #
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Download the file and install it in your user plug-in folder.

Open Gimp and and open a file with an existing set of character layers.

Here is an example screenshot of my tool docks for the layers and paths tools:

Tool_Dox1.jpg
Tool_Dox1.jpg # (57.27 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Call up the filter:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font PixPaths v 0.01...
dilaog_001.jpg
dilaog_001.jpg # (37.45 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
To generate the paths and clear the current layers, set the first two options to 'Yes' and click on 'OK':
dilaog_001_step1.jpg
dilaog_001_step1.jpg # (39.55 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And the display in the docks now looks like this - note the scary empty layers:
Tool_Dox2.jpg
Tool_Dox2.jpg # (98.54 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
At this point you can use the path tool to edit the paths by clicking and dragging the control points and their handles.
Path_Tool_edits.jpg
Path_Tool_edits.jpg # (153.18 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
After my editing (note the control points in the red circles lie outside the existing character boundaries) I had some weird paths that looked like this:

Tool_Dox3.jpg
Tool_Dox3.jpg # (84.26 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

When you are happy you can call up the filter again to convert these paths back into letter layers. Set the 'Transparent border size' value if any of the control pointss have been moved beyond the existing character layer boundaries.

Set the first two options back to 'No' and the 3rd and 4th options to 'Yes'. Click on 'OK':
dilaog_001_step2.jpg
dilaog_001_step2.jpg # (38.33 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The filter will generate the new characters in your chosen colour. I used black to highlight the new character status but normally I use white.
Tool_Dox4.jpg
Tool_Dox4.jpg # (81.36 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And that's it. Save your new set of characters and start adding embellishments to your work.
New_Characters.jpg
New_Characters.jpg # (18.89 KiB) Viewed 126 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Oh and by the way, I didn't bother to save this set of characters...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP