It is currently 09 Dec 2021, 13:54

• Featuring Members' Images •
Could be related to 'Advantage of G\'MIC\'s "ALL" layers output with Custom Fonts'
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse
skinnyhouse

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | 🡆 Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Advantage of G'MIC's "ALL" layers output with Custom Fonts

PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
43 Post(s)

Advantage of G'MIC's "ALL" layers output with Custom Fonts

Post#1 by PixLab » 08 Nov 2021, 14:32

G'MIC has this setting at the bottom of each filters
screenshot_20211108-210532.png
screenshot_20211108-210532.png # (11.28 KiB) Viewed 233 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
So no need to say how useful it can be with the near one hundred layers we can have with the Custom Font, but you should know that very few filters have a different behavior with that "input -> all" and in my very first custom font I did encounter this "behaviour".

How I did use G'MIc for my first custom font and which effect I did used?

I wanted a 3D map, thus I used a 50% gray for generating the custom font.
Then I did Filters/G'MIC/Rendering/3D lathing on the letter B (this letter is very important on this particular filter to see if the result will not be flipped horizontally!)
Tip increase the resolution at last as this takes a lot of resources and slows the preview and other setting.
screenshot_20211108-213708.png
screenshot_20211108-213708.png # (112.01 KiB) Viewed 233 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
EDIT: The quote below is no more accurate, G'MIC updated its filters, fixed the re-naming and the "texture above layer" (now unchecked by default :thumbsup: )
So just "input all" before clicking OK, and it will be done in 1 click without the need to rename :gimp_clap: :gimp_clap:
Sadly this filter cannot be used for the all layers input at the same times for 2 reasons, as noted, if there is a layer above it will be used as a texture ( I learned it the hard way as I never read the "notes")
screenshot_20211108-213135.png
screenshot_20211108-213135.png # (10.58 KiB) Viewed 233 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
so the first time I used it for ALL layers, the filters used letter A to "texture" letter B, C to texture letter D and so... and it's a very resources demanding filter, I've waited something like 15mn to render all the custom fonts at once...

The second thing is that this filter rename the layer as "[3D lathing]"
screenshot_20211108-213818.png
screenshot_20211108-213818.png # (93.24 KiB) Viewed 233 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
So what I did is to made one layer with G'MIC (all other layer are NON visible!), then select another layer > make it visible, remove visibility of previous layer then Ctrl+F on the visible layer (Ctrl+F repeats the last filter used), then select another layer > make it visible, remove visibility of previous layer then Ctrl+F on the visible layer, then select another layer > make it visible, remove visibility of previous layer then Ctrl+F on the visible layer, then ... yeah all characters like that (count ~15 to 20mn to do all), then renaming properly each layer (I did a Ctrl+C on ".png" then double click on the layer name, input the right character + Ctrl+V, then next, then next.... ~5mn of boring work.
Then to put my texture on each layers, I put it at the bottom of the stack in mode "Multiply" or "Linear Burn" >> thus no need for mask (use opposite respective mode if your texture is darker than 50% gray)
Before anything save the "space.png" layer to another image (just drag that layer on the toolbox) it will open as new image. >> and come back to your Custom font.

Then I used this script "Filters/Animation/Overlay Background" to duplicate the BG over all layer in 1 click (Shift +Click on an eye in the layer stack to make them all visible except the "space.png" before running the script)
To download it > http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... combine-bg

Your text is now textured, if the layer "space.png" was affected just drag n drop it from the other image (did you "saved" it?) ;)

Now Second G'MIC's effect (plastic-ish effect)
This one is very easy as the input ALL is working smoothly and fill all layers in 1 click
Filters/G'MIC/Light and Shadows/Relief Light >> Input Layer > ALL > try out the few sliders if you wish, but the default setting are already good enough, then Click OK

Then I cropped the image (all layer at once) to compensate the 3D lathing centering
Done viewtopic.php?p=38515#p38515

This line is just used to ping @Alan I hope that I did the right screenshot he is interested with ;)
Last edited by PixLab on 11 Nov 2021, 04:15, edited 3 times in total.
Patrice

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2226 Post(s)

Post#2 by skinnyhouse » 09 Nov 2021, 08:41

Very interesting approach PixLab. :thumbsup:

Alan
Forum Member
4th Place
2655 Post(s)

Post#3 by Alan » 09 Nov 2021, 10:27

Thank you very much for your explanations on this matter. :gimp_clap: :gimp_clap:

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
960 Post(s)

Post#4 by Krikor » 10 Nov 2021, 12:07

PixLab wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:32

Sadly this filter cannot be used for the all layers input at the same times for 2 reasons, as noted, if there is a layer above it will be used as a texture ( I learned it the hard way as I never read the "notes")
screenshot_20211108-213135.png
so the first time I used it for ALL layers, the filters used letter A to "texture" letter B, C to texture letter D and so... and it's a very resources demanding filter, I've waited something like 15mn to render all the custom fonts at once...
Hi,
What about choosing the "All Visible" option instead of "All" ?
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
43 Post(s)

Post#5 by PixLab » 10 Nov 2021, 12:20

Krikor wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 12:07
Hi,
What about choosing the "All Visible" option instead of "All" ?
I have a WONDERFUL news!
Thanks a lot to David Tschumperle (from G'MIC) as he fixed the re-naming problem and updated those filters to have an option for the "texture" today, to not take the above layer as "texture"
it's just an absolute pure awesomeness to work with G'MIC with just 1 click only

The thread > https://discuss.pixls.us/t/1-bug-some-g ... ture/27816 :gimp_clap:

Install G'MIC 3.0.0 #pre and update the filters :thumbsup:
Patrice

gimpturkey
Newly Registered
15th Place
827 Post(s)

Post#6 by gimpturkey » 10 Nov 2021, 14:30

:2_Thumbs:
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | 🡆 Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic