2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | 🡆 Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Covid-19

Anything, almost anything at all
(even advertisement if it's decent, spammers will be banned)
Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Covid-19

Post#1 by Pat625 » 06 Apr 2020, 22:56

Covid-19 is a world wide problem. I think that we should be able to discuss it . . .rationally. No inflammatory hate language. It should not get into all of our threads, though. It's too much that way.

If OK with Tin, as this is his forum, I propose we have a single "Covid-19" thread in Anything Goes. Confine all updates, discussions and other information regarding the virus to this thread only. This way we can get each others viewpoints, and hopefully some good information that we have missed.

If you do not wish to read about Covid-19, just ignore that thread.

I hope this compromise will be agreeable with Tin, and all of you. Tin, if you do not agree with this thread, please delete this post. I do think that we need to hear from you about this issue,

Thank you.

GIMPER
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by GIMPER » 07 Apr 2020, 08:50

A BIG COMPLIMENT TO.gif
A BIG COMPLIMENT TO.gif (349.38 KiB) Viewed 790 times

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#3 by CtrlAltDel » 07 Apr 2020, 10:26

Pat625 wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:56
Covid-19 is a world wide problem. I think that we should be able to discuss it . . .rationally. No inflammatory hate language. It should not get into all of our threads, though. It's too much that way.

If OK with Tin, as this is his forum, I propose we have a single "Covid-19" thread in Anything Goes. Confine all updates, discussions and other information regarding the virus to this thread only. This way we can get each others viewpoints, and hopefully some good information that we have missed.

If you do not wish to read about Covid-19, just ignore that thread.

I hope this compromise will be agreeable with Tin, and all of you. Tin, if you do not agree with this thread, please delete this post. I do think that we need to hear from you about this issue,

Thank you.
What is your definition of "hate language" that would derail a thread dedicated to discussing a virus that originated in China that is now ravaging the world? Could you lay out some guidelines on which viewpoints you would allow in this thread? Perhaps a notated list of what will be allowed could be put into an image created in Gimp so all could easily see what words and thoughts can and can't be said and expressed at the onset.

Personally, I feel if you genuinely wished to discuss a topic and delve into the intricacies of any given issue or problem or current event, you don't begin by preemptively stating what will be allowed to be said and what will not be allowed to be said.

We are all adults here, living in the real world, and this isn't a college classroom where bizarre speech laws supersede all logic, facts, and data to assuage the feel-feels of delicate flowers that wilt in sunlight.

If you start a thread where only your views and your thoughts and your opinions on what is proper are allowed to be discussed, that would make others wish to start their own threads where their thoughts and opinions were allowed to be discussed.

Would mere mentions of Taiwan or Hong Kong, in regards to the virus, be considered hate speech in your opinion? Would you hit the report this post button if the terms Chinese Taipei or HKSAR were not used when discussing these two areas?

Would discussing why Xi Jinping purposely allowed and encouraged thousands and thousands and thousands of Chinese from virus hotspots to travel to other Far East nations, Europe, the United States, etc... months after the virus was internally known to be what it is be considered "hate speech" in your opinion?

Lay out some guidelines on what is proper.
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on 09 Apr 2020, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#4 by Tom » 07 Apr 2020, 13:30

After reading this, I say delete the post.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#5 by Pat625 » 07 Apr 2020, 13:43

I think you are correct, Tom. I have asked Tin to do so already.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#6 by tim » 07 Apr 2020, 13:58

I say just leave this topic as is.
If you say things that are hatred against a government/group, then I say that's your view of it, if you want to express that publicly then that's fine, people can agree/disagree with you.
We're all stuck at home (of most us) now, it's okay to vent out a little. I think it's healthy, just don't expect everyone to agree with you.
This is in the Anything goes forum so it's fine.
If you don't want argue (expressing opposing opinions) then just jump to GIMP related topics.
We are adults and if someone offends us, we don't have to take it, we can simply
1) Ignore and relate to them on GIMP-related subject.
2) Jump in and argue for the fun of it.
Remember that disagreeing or hating someone's viewpoint doesn't mean that you should hate them. For a friend of mine realized that hating someone takes same energy as loving 6 or more people.
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#7 by CtrlAltDel » 07 Apr 2020, 17:09

That is a bold decision in this day and age, Tim, congratulations.

Far, far, far too often, terms like hate language or speech are used to fascistically muzzle opinions that don't conform to someone's personal beliefs on any given topic.

For instance, many would consider it hate speech for me to say the word Taiwan. They wish you to believe that Taiwan doesn't exist and there has never been and never will be such a place on Earth.

It's silly but, that is how draconian times have become and how intolerant of others that many people are. I am only mentioning Taiwan because they have miraculously, other-worldly, and fantastically quelled the death virus in their country yet, we are being told to ignore them and their procedures.

Just watch one of the leaders of the WHO absolutely ignore this Hong Kong interviewer talking about Taiwan. It's like he would rather have people die than to take any advice from Taiwan. That type of ignorant, backwards, intolerant, hateful behavior is so surprising coming from a supposedly highly educated person tasked with saving lives. In a way, it's like his soul is owned by someone and he has been given orders on what he can and can't talk about.

It is truly frightening.

https://twitter.com/studioincendo/statu ... 8133473285
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on 07 Apr 2020, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#8 by Lenny » 07 Apr 2020, 17:44

I agree with Pat that this thread would be a good depository for everyone's information and opinions regarding this scourge. In a very few posts, we have already witnessed the full spectrum of beliefs on what should be allowed. I commend Tin for taking the balanced stance for his forum by allowing polite discourse.

With that said, how about some good news? This is an excerpt from the online version of "The Science Times" from April 4, 2020 regarding the 70+ year-old malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, which has a long record of safety and effectiveness for use in malaria, lupus, and some other diseases, and a doctor's poll taken internationally:
  • "But recent findings on malaria drugs approved by more than 6,000 doctors in 30 countries are now making headlines due to its high rate of effectiveness on patients infected with the coronavirus.

According to an international poll of thousands of doctors, the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine is the best coronavirus drug presently available. The majority of the 6,000 doctors surveyed or 37 percent said it was the most effective therapy for the virus.

The use of the chloroquine drug and its derivative form, hydroxychloroquine, has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to use to treat coronavirus patients. However, doctors have already been using it off-label in hospitals.

The survey found that hydroxychloroquine drug is also widely used in other countries for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms, while in the U.S. it is used for the high-risk infected patients.

Clinical Trials

The most commonly prescribed drug by physicians was 33 percent hydroxychloroquine, 41 percent for azithromycin, and 56 percent analgesics. Sermo chief Peter Kirk said that doctors should have more of a voice in how we deal with this pandemic and be quick to share information with the rest of the world."
The article goes on to say that the drug is not licensed in the UK. As a journalistic counterpoint to the positivity of the article, a UK National Health Service official is quoted to say the drug is not a magic bullet, that complete testing is needed, etc.

Hearing both sides of every issue is a good thing!

From the information I have found, as this article mentions, the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin (known as Z-pack here) combination when used in mild to severe cases around the world, prevents many of the patients from progressing to the point of having to be intubated.

Personally, I hope this drug combination saves everyone afflicted and becomes widely used internationally for everyone for whom it is applicable. I am not a medical professional, I am only speaking simply as a human who is considered to be in a very high risk group. We must all take as much control as possible for our own health.
GIMP Learn rocks...

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#9 by CtrlAltDel » 07 Apr 2020, 20:28

Lenny wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 17:44

Personally, I hope this drug combination saves everyone afflicted and becomes widely used internationally for everyone for whom it is applicable. I am not a medical professional, I am only speaking simply as a human who is considered to be in a very high risk group. We must all take as much control as possible for our own health.
Clipped only for brevity, Lenny.

I agree/hope that chloroquine and antibiotics and zinc is an effective treatment for this dread disease. Many in the media do not agree with that but, their opinions don't really matter because their personal thoughts are irrelevant.

What is relevant are the thousands and thousands of doctors all around the world that sing the praises of chloroquine, used in conjunction with antibiotics and zinc. They have been having some really miraculous turnarounds happening with victims after, and only after, this treatment is started.

As you are laying there dying in your own fluids that are filling up your lungs faster than a ventilator can pump it out, no one really gives a damn about what the New York Times editorial board has to say about the drugs because they despise the person that is promoting them.

All you hear from certain areas is that the dangers are just so serious that these drugs just don't need to be used, you know, because of the side-effects. The only problem with that is that there are virtually no side-effects and it's a drug that has been used for over 60 years by hundreds of millions of people and is probably safer than aspirin.

But, there are even governors in the United States that have reacted to the drug in such a hysterical manner as to ban its use, in whole states, on penalty of imprisonment. Why? No one really knows why some would react this way to a very promising cocktail of medicine that is saving lives that seem doomed all around the globe.

Maybe they are just anti-science Neandertals that can't think properly due to bias or something. It's a mystery.
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on 07 Apr 2020, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#10 by CtrlAltDel » 07 Apr 2020, 20:59

Tom wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:30
After reading this, I say delete the post.
That is rather intolerant, Tom. Just as Pat intimated in the original post before she too recommended ending it, why can't we just discuss things in a rational manner? What exactly did I say to offend you to the point to where you recommend abruptly ending a conversation that hasn't even started?

Do you feel I insulted someone, some country, or some thing? I'd love to learn what the wrong thought or wrong idea was that was so very much out of bounds as to make you react the way you have.

Was there some racist language or some hate language in my reply that was illegal to type? I don't get it. Maybe it's a cultural issue. I'm from the United States so I'm not used to being muzzled and punished for speaking. I fear that is where a lot of the misunderstandings originate.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | 🡆 Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP