2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom Path Characters

Resources used in GIMP that aren't Python Fu or Scheme Fu (files other than .py or .scm files)
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Re: Custom Path Characters

Post#21 by skinnyhouse » 07 May 2020, 16:00

This looks like a promising development Tom - missed it on GC. Never compiled before so a bit daunted by the idea of doing it on Windows 10. Any more advice would be welcome.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#22 by skinnyhouse » 11 May 2020, 07:05

re: using the trace plug-in

I managed to get autotrace installed and to get the trace plug-in up and running but to be honest I have so far found the results to be rather disappointing. It is an amazing piece of software but for my purpose it does not help to speed up the process - even when makingmany changes to the options in the filter dialog.

Basically I find that the path generated by the trace plugin requires much more work than manual tracing for my purpose (tweaking some control points and deleting others) - and you also have to take into account the time for running the plug-in for each character. It's a shame really - I will persevere and have another try at some point.

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3350 Post(s)

Post#23 by Issabella » 11 May 2020, 08:14

Thank you so much Skinnyhouse for your investigation and time invested in the project. But think so much you have got so far and how many useful and helping plug-ins you have provided us to make the custom fonts to be nice and easy to get them. I remember as long it was the process.
Thanks again. :gimp_clap: :2_Thumbs:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#24 by skinnyhouse » 12 May 2020, 12:27

Carrington_Capitals_Style.xcf #
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Carrington_Capitals_Style.jpg
Carrington_Capitals_Style.jpg # (115.39 KiB) Viewed 5585 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#25 by skinnyhouse » 18 May 2020, 14:20

Znikomit_Style.xcf #
(138.68 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
This is a capitals only version of the Znikomit font as character paths. I have added some kernining paths but they may need tweaking if you create a fontface with different sized paths. See the layer legend for sizing details.

Example output below:
White_face.jpg
White_face.jpg # (84.77 KiB) Viewed 5460 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Tom
Forum Member
22nd Place
176 Post(s)

Post#26 by Tom » 19 May 2020, 17:36

FlashBack.xcf #
(455.32 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
I am stumped !
I can use Custom Font Single Path Stroker v0.2 on the xcf files I have downloaded from here but I have no luck creating one.
I used font to layers and then copied each letter and pasted it as a new image.
On the new image I ran the plugin Trace for the centerlines.
I then copied the the path and pasted it back in the font to layers.
When I run the Custom Font Single Path Stroker v0.2 I get a error.
So I tried making a transparent image the same size as the font and then pasted the paths in it, still no luck.
The same error is there though.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 740, in response
dialog.res = run_script(params)
File "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 361, in run_script
return apply(function, params)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\Custom_Font_Single_Path_Stroker_v_002.py", line 386, in do_stuff
pdb.gimp_image_set_active_layer(image, new_layer)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'new_layer' referenced before assignment

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#27 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 18:31

Hi Tom:

Sounds like you are having a rough time.

I am using Gimp 2.10.12. Gimp versions above this can cause problems with dialogs in python-fu scripts. SamJ's 2.10.18 portable works fine.

Sounds like the Single Path Stroker is not able to find a path to stroke. Any path named as a single character or a single character followed by space + char (such as 'A char') should be stroked and converted into layers with the usual custom font extension.

Here are a couple of screenshots::

The first before running the filter with two nonsense paths to show the naming convention:
TomScreen1.jpg
TomScreen1.jpg # (57.09 KiB) Viewed 5433 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And the second showing the output after running the filter with the default settings. Paths deleted and custom font layers in the layer stack.

TomScreen2.jpg
TomScreen2.jpg # (64.42 KiB) Viewed 5433 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
If you are getting paths after running Trace and the paths have suitable names, what happens when you:

Edit>>Stroke Path...

from Gimp?

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#28 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 18:41

Have downloaded flashback and the paths all end with '.png' which will reproduce the error you recieved.
Solution: Remove the '.png' from each path name and re-run the filter and everything will work as it should.

I still can't get Trace to produce a decent centre path.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1898 Post(s)

Post#29 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 19:45

Yep works perfectly once '.png' removed ...
... and I have also just realised how to get centre paths. :hammer_head:

Tom
Forum Member
22nd Place
176 Post(s)

Post#30 by Tom » 19 May 2020, 21:03

Thanks skinny, that got it working !
Now back to it ... Thanks again.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic