It is currently 06 Apr 2020, 06:29

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Graechans "Snow Covered" script

Resources used in GIMP that aren't Python Fu or Scheme Fu (files other than .py or .scm files)
Krikor
Forum Member

Re: Graechans "Snow Covered" script

Post#11 by Krikor » 19 Dec 2019, 15:59

Hi @dinasset,
I tested the K version. The problem was repeated in both versions (2.10.12 and 2.10.14), for the Logo To Alpha option, I found no other solution,
Krikor - SnowCoverDinassetTestScript-01
Krikor - SnowCoverDinassetTestScript-01
SnowCoverK-TEst01.png (93.03 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
But ...

By chance in one of the insistent attempts the filter worked in part of the selection. So I tried to understand why.
At first I could not reproduce again what happened, but through observation I could reach the following conclusion:

In the images below (top), I illustrate the exact moment before the filter is applied, and (below) the result obtained.
Krikor - SnowCoverDinassetTEstScript-02
Krikor - SnowCoverDinassetTEstScript-02
SnowCoverK-TEst02.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
These results were realized in Samj's Portable version 2.10.14, I have not tried to reproduce this new discovery in version 2.10.12.

The script works if the layer has Alpha channel and the selection is painted white (not tested with another color option).
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#12 by RJKD » 19 Dec 2019, 16:02

Thankyou very much dinasset - script works fine using Win10 64bit Gimp2.10.14

dinasset
Forum Member

Post#13 by dinasset » 19 Dec 2019, 16:43

Thnaks for detecting another statement to fix.
Here the amended version, pls try again.
(BTW, yes, alpha to logo requires an alpha channel)
LOGOS&ALPHA_Snow CoverForKrikor.7z
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
test.png
test.png (61.12 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Laudato sii, o mio Signore,
per quelli che perdonano per amor tuo
e sopportano malattia e sofferenza.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#14 by Krikor » 19 Dec 2019, 20:52

The script seems to be working correctly for the SnowCoverAlpha!
I tested with Samj's Portable versions 2.10.12 and 2.10.14 and Partha's Portable versions 2.10.12.
Krikor - SnowCoverDinasset - TestScript03
Krikor - SnowCoverDinasset - TestScript03
SnowCoverK-TEst03.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
However, in all 3 versions mentioned above, the SnowCoverLogo script presented the same error already reported:

"Snow Cover Logo ... (K) Warning
Error while executing script-fu-snow-cover-logo-K:
Error: eval: unbound variable: script-fu-snow-cover-alpha "

I thought installing the Partha's version could somehow be the solution, but I got the same results as with Samj's versions.

@dinasset, with the SnowCoverAlpha option working I am already satisfied, thank you for your effort to make the script usable! :thumbsup: :2_Thumbs:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

dinasset
Forum Member

Post#15 by dinasset » 20 Dec 2019, 05:31

You're right, Krikor, my fault.
Here the amended version (hopefully the final one...!)
LOGOS&ALPHA_Snow CoverForKrikor.7z
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
test2.png
test2.png (283.51 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#16 by Krikor » 20 Dec 2019, 13:34

@dinasset , the script is now ok, both SnowCoverAlpha and SnowCoverLogo have no errors and produce the expected result! Congratulations, great job! :gimp_clap: :gimp_clap: :2_Thumbs:

There is one observation to consider.

When using SnowCoverLogo, 2 identical and mirrored results are produced. :clone: :o

Any changes you make to one of these images are immediately produced in your copy. These changes are visible both by opening each image and checking the changes, and by looking at the thumbnails that lie between the desktop and menu (as illustrated in the image below).
Krikor - SnowCoverDinasset - TestScript05
Krikor - SnowCoverDinasset - TestScript05
SnowCoverK-TEst05.jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
It's no headache, as I just delete the unnecessary copy.

In any case I decided to report what happened because it is unusual, interesting, and possibly unintentional.

Thanks so much, I believe this version will work on any Gimp! :smiley_toss: :hi5:

dinasset
Forum Member

Post#17 by dinasset » 20 Dec 2019, 14:41

Yes, I know that there is a double "display-new", I was obliged at the beginning of my fixing to insert it (it surprised me, but it seemed to be needed to procede); I will double-check now that all the issues have been fixed.

Edit: I confirm, on my PC if I remove the additional "display-new" the result of "logo" is wrong.
If one day you are annoyed, you may try to comment out that statement and see what happens in your PC
the statement is at line 211 and reads:
(gimp-display-new image) ;;; it seems to be reqd ?!?
just put a semicolon in front, such as
;(gimp-display-new image) ;;; it seems to be reqd ?!?
and try if the logo function works fine in your PC (alpha-to-logo works anyhow)

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#18 by Issabella » 20 Dec 2019, 18:10

I think that I have this script, but I can't find the place where it is. logo and alpha. Please, could you tell me where it is? Thanks.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#19 by Krikor » 20 Dec 2019, 21:59

Issabella wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 18:10
I think that I have this script, but I can't find the place where it is. logo and alpha. Please, could you tell me where it is? Thanks.
Hola @Issabella , is in the Addons menu. In mine appears after the Filters menu.

By the way, @dinasset if this script is located inside the Diego menu, I think it would be a great option. The list of existing menus is getting very crowded, and the look is somewhat polluted with so many filters there. :idea:

dinasset
Forum Member

Post#20 by dinasset » 21 Dec 2019, 06:06

Issabella wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 18:10
Issabella, the original filter does not work (in 2.10), either download the first fixed here @ post #3 or the special one for Krikor, depending if your Gimp works in compatibility mode or not.
You will find the entries in Gimp menus either here for the first posted:
- Addons/AddSCM/Alpha-to-Logo/Snow Cover Alpha...
- Addons/AddSCM/Logos/Snow Cover Logo...
or here for the special version for Krikor:
- Addons/AddSCM/Alpha-to-Logo/Snow Cover Alpha...(K)
- Addons/AddSCM/Logos/Snow Cover Logo...(K)

@Krikor I can set it under "Diego" because it's not mine, it's Graechan's.
If you have the original from Graechan (I don't) tell me which one was the menu there, and I will change it back.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP