skinnyhouse
tim
dinasset_1
skinnyhouse

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Clan MacLeod Tartan Patterns

Resources used in GIMP that aren't Python Fu or Scheme Fu (files other than .py or .scm files)
PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
42 Post(s)

Clan MacLeod Tartan Patterns

Post#1 by PixLab » 19 Nov 2021, 03:59

Because I did some patterns for Custom Font, themed by the movie Highlander, I thought I can share them.

I did made these 2 patterns as per Wikipedia chart -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacLeod#Clan_tartan

The yellow one is know as MacLeod of Lewis, MacLeod dress, or Loud MacLeod. It is not represented in the movie.
The blue/green one is know as MacLeod hunting or MacLeod of Harris. This is the one which look like in the movie.

Decompress, then put the 2 .pat in your patterns folder/directory
Tartan MacLeod.7z #
The 2 patterns are inside this compressed file
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Here are the pngs for you to see (original size) or if you prefer a png.
Tartan-McLeod-of-Lewis.png
Tartan pattern of MacLeod of Lewis (this is not the one in the movie)
Tartan-McLeod-of-Lewis.png # (2.82 KiB) Viewed 266 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Tartan-MacLeod-Hunting-Highlander.png
Tartan pattern of MacLeod Hunting (This is the one which look like in the movie Highlander)
Tartan-MacLeod-Hunting-Highlander.png # (2.79 KiB) Viewed 266 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Patrice

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
959 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 19 Nov 2021, 08:10

PixLab,

Inspired by your "Clan MacLeod Tartan Patterns" I tried both out of curiosity and a matter of learning to recreate the pattern found in:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacL ... ticum).png

I confess that I didn't find the task at all easy, but at least I got a result that pleased me.
Here I share the pngs in sizes 416x416 and 240x240.
Tartan240.png
Krikor - Tartan MacLeod of Lewis 240x240
Tartan240.png # (81.67 KiB) Viewed 249 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Tartan416.png
Krikor - Tartan MacLeod of Lewis 416x416
Tartan416.png # (11.36 KiB) Viewed 249 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
As for the "Hunting" version I didn't even try, it seemed too complicated. :shock:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
42 Post(s)

Post#3 by PixLab » 19 Nov 2021, 12:13

@Krikor You did a great job :gimp_clap:
Those are nice :thumbsup:

"As for the "Hunting" version I didn't even try, it seemed too complicated." Yes, this one is a bit of time consuming between selection and changing the html colors. I don't select all vertically, I select few pixels vertically (NO feather, and no zoom out) on the top then I use a transform tool to extend to the bottom once all the color in the row are made ;)
I give you the .xcf if it can help you to reproduce it.
tartan-MacLeod hunting or MacLeod of Harris.xcf #
(193.47 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Patrice

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
959 Post(s)

Post#4 by Krikor » 19 Nov 2021, 21:35

PixLab,

Your .xcf made this edition a lot easier, I didn't even have to type the color coding :-)

I enjoyed trying to recreate this pattern, I learned a lot in the process.

Compared to the image at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacL ... ibert).png , the colors of the pattern created are much more vivid, although I used the official colors ( black 101010, freedom red C80000, golden poppy E8C000, green 006818, and denim blue 1474B4).

My attempt:
TartanHunting428.png
Krikor - Tartan Hunting428
TartanHunting428.png # (16.25 KiB) Viewed 196 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Maybe I'll try creating another pattern using the colors from the image in the link above.

Edit:
Using color Picker Tool on the link image from the previous post, I got a darker tone.
TartanHuntingDark428.png
Krikor - Tartan Hunting daker
TartanHuntingDark428.png # (16.83 KiB) Viewed 187 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
42 Post(s)

Post#5 by PixLab » 20 Nov 2021, 02:32

Krikor wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 21:35
PixLab,

Your .xcf made this edition a lot easier, I didn't even have to type the color coding :-)

I enjoyed trying to recreate this pattern, I learned a lot in the process.

Compared to the image at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacL ... ibert).png , the colors of the pattern created are much more vivid, although I used the official colors ( black 101010, freedom red C80000, golden poppy E8C000, green 006818, and denim blue 1474B4).
Indeed, colors are more vivid, it's because on Wikipedia it's a scan (or a photo) from the book ISBN 0-904505-67-7, you can even "see" the texture of the book's paper on both tartan (although if the wool threads are tinted with official colours, it should be darker as well, as wool is not truly white) ;)

In all case great job on this tartan as well :gimp_clap:
Patrice

PixLab
Forum Member
42nd Place
42 Post(s)

Post#6 by PixLab » 20 Nov 2021, 03:58

I did made a new .pat (to put on your pattern directory/folder)
Tartan-MacLeod-of-Lewis.pat.7z #
The new MacLeod of Lewis pattern with the right numbers
(653 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
Why?
I discovered that something is wrong with the pattern MacLeod of Lewis (the yellow one) on Wikipedia...
The numbers given by Wikipedia are wrong (the first key is wrong = my 1st pattern was wrong :crysmiley: ) , and don't fit the wikipedia's photo.

Following Wikipedia official numbers as it is written "symmetrical threadcount K32 Y4 K32 Y48 R4"
Untitled.png
Following the numbers, I got this
Untitled.png # (42.14 KiB) Viewed 171 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
So the pattern is (made with the numbers written on Wikipedia):
mymacleoadoflewis.png
This is the pattern made with official numbers
mymacleoadoflewis.png # (177.03 KiB) Viewed 171 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Note the big black square in the middle of the other black square
Which has nothing to do with the picture on Wikipedia, nor @Krikor Yellow's pattern (did you follow the picture?)

To have the same pattern than you ( @Krikor ) and the Wikipedia's picture, the first key should NOT be 32, but 16 as K16 Y4 K32 Y48 R4 (EDIT2, I edited Wikipedia, hopefully they will keep the right number of threads)

Thus the base pattern will be:
k16.png
k16 Y4 K32 Y48 R4
k16.png # (1.9 KiB) Viewed 168 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And the result (which looks like wiki's picture, but do not fit the numbers on wiki)
Untitled1.png
result
Untitled1.png # (284.24 KiB) Viewed 166 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
EDIT:
Definitively... The numbers on Wikipedia are wrong It should be K16 to match the Scottish/Tartan websites (as well as their own photo):
https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tarta ... s?ref=2640
and
http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan- ... lewis-clan

Interestingly about the more vivid for the blue/green tartan, and further searches, it's the ancient tartan which is more vivid, the modern is darker as per this website:
https://www.scotclans.com/scottish-clan ... od-tartan/

As for the yellow one it's the opposite:
https://www.scotclans.com/scottish-clan ... is-tartan/
Patrice

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
959 Post(s)

Post#7 by Krikor » 20 Nov 2021, 22:48

PixLab wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 03:58
[...]
Note the big black square in the middle of the other black square
Which has nothing to do with the picture on Wikipedia, nor @Krikor Yellow's pattern (did you follow the picture?)

To have the same pattern than you ( @Krikor ) and the Wikipedia's picture, the first key should NOT be 32, but 16 as K16 Y4 K32 Y48 R4 (EDIT2, I edited Wikipedia, hopefully they will keep the right number of threads)
[...]
PixLab,

I have tried to follow (within my understanding) the standards provided by Wikipedia, with regard to colors and widths.

When I compared my result with the existing image on Wikipedia, overlaying the images, the result seemed to me to be correct:
Maybe I got to the same goal by a different path, but I definitely used the values K32, Y4, K32, Y48, AND R4.

An observation:
Since i wanted a seamless pattern, i reduced the width of the red color to half (02 px). So when the halves come together they form the desired width (04 px).

Below are some images:
My initial form
It is important to note that this is a symmetrical (reflected) image
TartanMcesquema.png
Krikor - Initial Base
TartanMcesquema.png # (26.41 KiB) Viewed 128 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
TartanMc408.png
Krikor - Tartan Base
TartanMc408.png # (10.37 KiB) Viewed 128 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Overlapping tartans - on the left copy of Wikipedia and on the right By Gimp.
SOBREPOSTO.png
Krikor - Tartans Overlaids OK
SOBREPOSTO.png # (1.3 MiB) Viewed 128 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Attachments
TartanMc816.png
Krikor - Tartan 816x816
TartanMc816.png # (255.82 KiB) Viewed 128 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic