2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

animated snow

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Re: animated snow

Post#31 by RJKD » 18 Nov 2019, 18:19

great to see the legend fencepost here, welcome - results are looking good, I'm not having such happy outcomes.
Last edited by RJKD on 24 Nov 2019, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

fencepost
Forum Member

Post#32 by fencepost » 23 Nov 2019, 15:27

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I'm glad you've enjoyed the scripts. I *believe* I've gotten the script running again as it should and if you would like to give it a whirl, I've attached it here. Make sure you delete the original script (or move it to a different location that GIMP won't access) so there won't be any conflicts, and then refresh your scripts (Filters > Scripts > Refresh Scripts).

I removed the option to create 2 separate layers for use in GAP because I don't know if that was ever a useful option. If you would like to see any new options or have additional suggestions, please let me know. Do you think the "Add border" option is needed?

Interesting note: I just looked at the original script creation date and this update is almost 10 years to the day! LOL
Attachments
AnimatedSnow.zip
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#33 by Krikor » 24 Nov 2019, 02:02

Hi @fencepost,
Looks like I'm unlucky.
Using Gimp 2.10.12
======================================================================

Animated Snow Warning
Error while executing script-fu-snow-anim:

Error: ( : 1) atom->string: needs 1 argument(s)

GIMP Warning
Plug-in 'Animated Snow' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.

=======================================================================
Anyway, thanks for reviving the script!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

fencepost
Forum Member

Post#34 by fencepost » 24 Nov 2019, 14:18

Thanks for checking it out and providing me with your error message. Updating GIMP now and will check it out.

ETA: I updated to GIMP version 2.10.14 and it ran perfectly. Wonder if a bug was introduced in 2.10.12 and .14 squashed it?

Art
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#35 by Tom » 24 Nov 2019, 15:12

I'm using Gimp 2.10.14 on Windows 10 64 bit and I'm not having much luck with your new version fencepost.
It runs fine but I always get a result like this.
It doesn't matter if I turn the snow down to minimum or not, same result.
Here is a outcome, it's like the transparency is not there.
coyote.gif
coyote.gif (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2059 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (48.75 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Capture_1.JPG
Capture_1.JPG (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Capture_2.JPG
Capture_2.JPG (28.55 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

fencepost
Forum Member

Post#36 by fencepost » 24 Nov 2019, 18:06

Thanks for the report. I am also running mine on 2.10.14/Windows 10 64-bit. Not to insult you, but want to narrow things down:

Did you make sure to delete any prior animated snow scripts?

Is the layer you're running the script on named coyote_Feb or something else and is it an RGB layer?

Art
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#37 by Tom » 24 Nov 2019, 18:22

I don't know what to say except sorry.
I just tried it on my main computer and it worked flawlessly.
I must have a issue with my laptop.
Thanks.
Deer_Snow.gif
Deer_Snow.gif (615.36 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

fencepost
Forum Member

Post#38 by fencepost » 24 Nov 2019, 19:15

No need to apologize, that's part of the process. At least you know there's a conflict with your laptop and can sort that out.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#39 by Krikor » 24 Nov 2019, 19:46

Krikor wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 23:41
fencepost wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 14:18
Thanks for checking it out and providing me with your error message. Updating GIMP now and will check it out.

ETA: I updated to GIMP version 2.10.14 and it ran perfectly. Wonder if a bug was introduced in 2.10.12 and .14 squashed it?

Art
Curiosity I ran the script on Gimp 2.10.12 and got the same errors I got with version 2.10.01 :-(

I no longer have version 2.10.06 (where the script worked fine), so I tested the script on version 2.10.11 and it worked without problems.

It makes no sense with each update that the scripts are compatible and then not, and then back to compatible. This is very boring.
No wonder many users still persist in using version 2.8. :|

It's quite possible that the problem really is version 2.10.12.
I haven't tested it with version 2.10.14 yet, but it should be running perfectly.
At least, I just have to open the right version of the Gimp when I use the script. It is not all bad. :-)

Thx @fencepost
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#40 by RJKD » 24 Nov 2019, 21:19

I'm running 2.10.14 Win 10 64 bit and have exactly the same issue Tom had previously.
I did install the script with the plug-ins previously posted by Pat in this thread, I deleted the script, should I delete the plug-ins as well?

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP