It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 12:03

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How can I get consistently sized images/borders?

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
enxio27
Forum Member

How can I get consistently sized images/borders?

Post#1 by enxio27 » 13 Jul 2019, 03:34

As most of you know, I use GIMP mainly for digital scrapbooking. I open my photos, resize them to about the size (generally roughly 4"x6") I want them to be on the page (12"x12"). Then I give them a border of about 25 pixels, which I merge with the image before copying and pasting it as a new layer over my page background. However, most of the time, after pasting the new layer, the image is not the size I expected, and I have to resize it AGAIN. That also resizes my border, and I end up with the border widths not being consistent. How do I fix this? I haven't been successful in applying the border to the image after pasting it as the new layer--GIMP tries to apply the border to the entire page instead of to just that image.

So, I guess the solution could go one of two ways:

1. How do I get the image to stay the same size after copy-pasting it to the new layer?

2. How do I apply a border to just an image in a layer instead of to the entire document?
GIMP Learn rocks...

No avatar
Blighty
Forum Member

Post#2 by Blighty » 13 Jul 2019, 08:52

enxio27 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 03:34
I open my photos, resize them to about the size (generally roughly 4"x6") I want them to be on the page (12"x12"). Then I give them a border of about 25 pixels, which I merge with the image before copying and pasting
Gimp works in pixels. Not in real world units like inches. Much better to think in pixels and translate everything to pixels.

12"x12" @ 300dpi = 3600x3600 pixels. Set your canvas size to 3600x3600 pixels.

4"x6" @ 300 dpi = 1200x1800 pixels. Check that your photo has this size in pixels.

Open your photo as a new layer. The size will remain 1200x1800 pixels.

If you want a 25 pixel border all around your photo:
Create a new layer below your photo and set the size to 1250x1850 pixels. Fill the layer with colour you want for the border. If necessary, use the align tool to align this border layer and the photo. Perhaps even create layer group for these two layers. As the photo is above the border layer only the 25 pixel border all around will be visible. If you decide to change the colour of the border just bucket fill the border layer with the new colour.

Don't merge the border layer with the photo.
GIMP Learn rocks...

enxio27
Forum Member

Post#3 by enxio27 » 15 Jul 2019, 04:22

Blighty wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 08:52
4"x6" @ 300 dpi = 1200x1800 pixels. Check that your photo has this size in pixels.

Open your photo as a new layer. The size will remain 1200x1800 pixels.
Thanks, Blighty! I see now what the issue is. I didn't realize that my photos are only 76 dpi instead of 300. I increased the resolution, and it works.
If you want a 25 pixel border all around your photo:
Actually, I'm using the Add Border filter. I merge the border with the photo so that I can move them together.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP