It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 02:48

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

GIMP/GL QuestionsLearning to "paint" with GIMP brushes

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
enxio27

Forum Member

Learning to "paint" with GIMP brushes

Post#1 by enxio27 » 18 Aug 2019, 23:36

Is there a tutorial somewhere that will teach me how to use the various brushes (especially the MyPaint brushes) to do more than just "stamping"? One of the things I want to learn to do is to make an area that looks like a watercolor wash (it can be black/greyscale), but I'm just not "getting" how to do it in GIMP.
0 x

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by RJKD » 27 Aug 2019, 18:19

The problem you face is an overload of options, however let's focus on the positives...
Try this - create a new doc. on white
add a new transparent layer on top
select a soft brush 025
think about the colors you wish to produce and on the 'change foreground color' menu opt for a pastel shade
paint, anything, play
experiment with using Gaussian blur, just a touch
now for the reason I would always go to Gimp brush over MyPaint play is with the opacity (I believe MyPaint have set ranges 0,25,50,75 and 100, this would restrict the painter to creating several layers to get the desired effect.
I'm no authority, so keep asking around. Watercolor is not easy to achieve so be patient with yourself.
NB on you bottom layer - background you could color it with f0ece1 and run Clothify (Filters-Artistic-Clothify) sliders all the way to the right depth 16
Issabella posted a groovy tut on creating watercolor effect, however I get that you want to paint, good for you, it's fun.
0 x

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP