It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 00:25

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

GIMP 2.10.xx official vs. Partha vs. Samj

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Lenny
Forum Member

GIMP 2.10.xx official vs. Partha vs. Samj

Post#1 by Lenny » 23 Oct 2019, 00:58

Would anyone be so kind as to help with my confusion regarding the Partha (non-portable) or Samj portable versions of GIMP.

I use GIMP 2.10.12 (Windows 10). I've read some about Partha's version doing this better and Samj's version doing that better, but I can't wrap my head around it all. I understand that the portable version can be put onto a USB drive. Otherwise, what are the reasons to have one of these versions rather than the official? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, @Pat625 posted some 29 scripts that had been adjusted for 2.10 by Samj. I can't post links, but it was the post that included the Wavelet Decompose script fix, and was broken down into two downloads. Will these fixes work in the official 2.10.12 release or only in Samj's portable version?

Thanks for any clarification.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#2 by Pat625 » 24 Oct 2019, 23:25

There may be a few that do not work with all 2.10.x, but most should work with all 2.10. I have not tried all of them in the Gimp Org full rendition of 2.10 but the ones that I have are working OK.

If you have some that do not work, just post it and one of the coders may be able to fix.

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#3 by rich2005 » 25 Oct 2019, 08:26

A sort of overview

First the mechanics.
Gimp.org is a 'combined' installer 64 and 32 bit versions in the same installer. Unfortunately the latest versions do not always work with a 32 bit Windows 7. Fortunately not may of those around now. However it does mean that there is 'some' 32 bit support for old 32 bit compiled plugins. Still one or two in the Gimp installation. Python (*.py) and script (* .scm) will work but old versions will have legacy issues. The installation keeps settings and user resources in a 'Gimp profile'. For Windows 7 /10 that is the 'hidden' folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Partha Gimp 2.10.x is only 64 bit. It installs to a separate folder structure to gimp.org version which means you can have both installed and working. It uses the same 'Gimp profile' folder as gimp.org version. It also comes with some extra plugins, resynthesizer/heal-selection, gmic_gimp, nufraw. Being 64bit, 32 bit compiled plugins do not work, typically Gimp twain.exe plugin for scanners. Same comment as before for .py / .scm

Samj Gimp 2.10.x is truly portable. The Gimp profile is held in a 'Preferences' folder along with all the other gimp files. There is no installer, comes as an archive for you to unpack and put wherever you want. It is a monster, runs to 1.6 GB on disk and is split into separate 64 bit and 32 bit independent sections. Do not expect the 32 bit section to always work on old 32 bit machine. You can start it in different languages using a 'launcher' It does come with gimp_gmic pre-installed in both 64 / 32 bit version.

There is another portable Gimp from portableapps.com Looks like it is 64 bit with 32 bit support. Smaller than samj at 880MB on disk. A 'vanilla' Gimp. A note about portability, Gimp always has been 'semi' portable in that you can copy / move the installation folder to another location. However, first run will create that 'Gimp profile' folder in the User..-..Roaming location on the computer used.

Resources: I am a great believer in try-and-see but try-and-see, one at a time. Do not flood Gimp with dozens of scripts / plugins / brushes / fonts that you might never use more than once. Try, then keep or remove. Especially true with Windows and fonts. Do not install fonts system-wide unless necessary. Put in the Gimp profile fonts folder, then easily removed.

neurolurker
Forum Member

Post#4 by neurolurker » 25 Oct 2019, 18:12

Rich, thanks for your clarification on the different versions of GIMP. Newbies, like myself, come across references to them pretty quickly while exploring the forums but thereafter there isn't much explanation.

For me, "Do not flood Gimp with dozens of scripts / plugins / brushes / fonts ... " should get a flashing banner as absolutely one of the most important tips for new users. I feel I would be a much younger person now if I'd seen that piece of advice at the very beginning of my trying to learn how to use GIMP. It would have been far better to have spent the time learning more about GIMP itself than struggling to make scripts and plugins "work" when, for any number of unexpected and unexplained reasons, they were never going to work. Sadder but wiser, as they say.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#5 by Pat625 » 25 Oct 2019, 20:25

Thank you, Rich. Your way of stating things always seems easier to understand. Could be because you are so knowledgeable.

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#6 by rich2005 » 26 Oct 2019, 08:59

@Pat625 - just long time use, since Gimp 2.2. Ah nostalgia, Windows installation: Want python support? 3 separate installations from 3 different maintainers and the versions had to match. Then you could install GTK+ and finally install GIMP. Happy days (much prefer the present versions)

@Lenny My suggestion: gmic_gimp_qt from www.gmic.eu Just use the Windows installer. Filters for all sorts of use but for photography some good colour tweaking available. Resynthesizer / heal selection for removing or patching unwanted areas. There is a 64 bit version here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Resyn ... 7#pid12687

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#7 by Lenny » 26 Oct 2019, 17:31

rich2005 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 08:26
Do not flood Gimp with dozens of scripts / plugins / brushes / fonts that you might never use more than once. Try, then keep or remove. Especially true with Windows and fonts. Do not install fonts system-wide unless necessary. Put in the Gimp profile fonts folder, then easily removed.
Thank you so much @rich2005, for that informative reply. It really helped in my understanding of these different versions. I agree with you now, after seeing a slowdown in GIMP reaction speed (paintbrush lagging behind cursor movement; scaling image taking much longer) , that it is not a good idea to flood it with dozens of scripts. And perhaps @neurolurker has the right idea that that very comment should be pinned to the top area under the Scripts and Plug-ins sections.

I experienced the slowdown with tons of fonts in Win XP years ago. It's sad to know it is still an issue today.

@Pat625, thanks for your assurance that some of these Samj files might work with the official release. I noticed under Samj Creations, that there are two newer packages of plug-ins that have been adjusted for 2.10. The package you separated into two downloads on your Plug-in thread was #1. Perhaps you'll want to include the other two packages (#2 and #3) in your thread.

Now that I've downloaded and installed tons of scripts and plug-ins, my job now will be to test and evaluate each one as to whether I really need it, as Rich suggested. Luckily, I didn't install the Samj files yet, as I was waiting to hear whether they would work with my version.

For future reference, is there a logical place to have the plug-ins that temporarily loads them for that once-a-year use, then automatically remove them from the plug-in or script folders? By this, I mean something that will not impact GIMP's speed.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#8 by Pat625 » 27 Oct 2019, 02:56

Plug-ins have to be in their folders before Start up or they are not seen in Gimp. If you have a load of plug-ins that will be used rarely, I would keep them in an archive file and just insert it into an existing plug-in folder that is already installed in the Edit/preferences plug-in folder when you need to use it. Remember to do this before you open Gimp. I'm sure that some of our expert Gimpers will have some suggestions.

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#9 by rich2005 » 27 Oct 2019, 11:07

Again just some thoughts:

Windows File Explorer has hardly changed since Windows XP. A bit of a disgrace. Get a decent two-pane file manager such as multicommander http://multicommander.com/downloads There are others. This example running the portable version from a 'external' disk.

Copy files from one side to another. The source is a zip file. Click-n-drag or right click for menu, all the usual stuff. ( One time I was involved with a local PC user group. Any number of times files lost "somewhere" using Windows Explorer )

As Pat625 stated, for plugins Gimp needs a start (or restart) for plugins to work. The same procedure can be used for the other resources scripts / patterns / brushes / fonts .. With Gimp running these are refreshed using the 'refresh arrow' bottom of the relevant dock. For scripts use Filters -> Script-Fu -> Refresh Scripts.

There is a plugin to manage resources. addonCollectionManager-3.0.py find it here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-to ... s/scripts/ well down the list look for the date 2013-04-08 There is a bit about setting it up http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/managementtools.shtml Still refers to Gimp 2.8 - nearly the same for Gimp 2.10

Set up like this:

A folder in the Gimp profile xxxxx_storage (1) containing collections of appropriate type, zipped together (2) In use, right-click in the resource dock (3) that brings up a list of the zipped collections to select (4). This copies and refreshes on OK. Untick to remove and refresh. Fonts are a little bit of a special case in Windows. Windows holds the font in memory so sometimes you have to wait for a Gimp restart for the font to 'vanish' from Gimp when unselected.

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#10 by Lenny » 27 Oct 2019, 20:05

rich2005 wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 11:07
Again just some thoughts:

Windows File Explorer has hardly changed since Windows XP. A bit of a disgrace. Get a decent two-pane file manager such as multicommander http://multicommander.com/downloads There are others. This example running the portable version from a 'external' disk.

There is a plugin to manage resources. addonCollectionManager-3.0.py find it here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-to ... s/scripts/ well down the list look for the date 2013-04-08 There is a bit about setting it up http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/managementtools.shtml Still refers to Gimp 2.8 - nearly the same for Gimp 2.10

Wow, thanks @rich2005, I have griped about the windows explorer for years. This is exactly what I've wanted, to be able to see source and target directories side by side.

As for the addonCollectionManager-3.0, I'll have to study that one to understand more clearly what it is doing. It seems perfect, as it says it reduces the amount of plugins that need to be cached by GIMP, hence not screwing with performance.

Do you think I would be better to start with a fresh install of GIMP, add the addonCollectionManager, then populate with the items I may not use often, but would like to have at hand? Luckily, I have all the downloads I've added separately in a file, so repopulating won't be an issue.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP