It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 19:35

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

GIMP 2.10.xx official vs. Partha vs. Samj

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Lenny
Forum Member

Re: GIMP 2.10.xx official vs. Partha vs. Samj

Post#11 by Lenny » 28 Oct 2019, 16:09

@rich2005, I understand that gmic has several hundred filters. Will these also slow down GIMP, or are they only called when gmic is opened? If so, when gmic is closed, are they cleared from cache? Would it be wise, and would it work, to put gmic (and other collections like NIK) in the addoncollectionmanager also?

Would you also comment on the proper way to install Samj's 64bit plugins that are in the form of .exe files? The one I'm looking at is the refocus-it plugin. I've opened all the many other folders in her distribution, but I'm not finding .py files or any of the other extensions (for scripts, etc.) Most of the other folders seem to be documentation. I've searched, but can't find info on installing .exe plugins. Perhaps my search-fu skills are broken.

Thanks. Hopefully my constant neediness will dwindle along with the frequency of my questions.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#12 by Pat625 » 29 Oct 2019, 01:11

Programs that have the .exe extension are put in plug-in folders. Install as you would a regular .py plug-in.

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#13 by rich2005 » 29 Oct 2019, 10:56

I would not worry too much unless you are very short on memory.

Gmic is an interpreted 'language' Most of 520 filters are script and only run when called. There are some interactive filters which take up more memory.
This example, one I use often use, 'Interactive colour curves' where there is a choice of colour space.
System resources say Gmic 236 MB most of that I think will be the interface. A more usual 'set-parameters-and-apply' filter around 150 MB Gimp runs to 122 MB

Refocus-it ;) Another ancient from when images were much smaller. With a modern photographs very slow with the default 100 iterations setting. Drop right down initially. In my opinion, usually makes the image worse.
As Pat625 wrote plugins something.exe (+ associated file.dll if there are any) and something.py go in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins. Sometimes there are associated folders that might go there as well (language files for example) Not many of those.

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#14 by Lenny » 29 Oct 2019, 22:44

rich2005 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 10:56
I would not worry too much unless you are very short on memory.
Me or the computer? :fb_haha:

Thanks @rich2005 and @Pat625.

I watched again your video on addonCollectionManager. Is it's only presence the right-click window "sets" popups to tick or untick a font, brush, etc.? I guess I was expecting a more extensive GUI. Maybe less is better.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP