2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Resolution when opening files as layers

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
SackPants
Newly Registered

Resolution when opening files as layers

Post#1 by SackPants » 25 Feb 2020, 17:11

I’ve written a Gimp plug-in to automate some very routine and standard formatting I do frequently where I combine two multi-page pdf’s, do some minor manipulations (scale some sheets, re-position, merge), then output to a pdf. The plug-in is written and working fine. The only trouble I have is that the final pdf quality leaves something to be desired.

I’ve determined that the less-than-desirable image quality is a function of the resolution in which the original pdf’s are loaded into gimp, which I achieve using the gimp-file-load-layers procedure. I wonder if there is any way to set the resolution of the imported pdf’s (as I would if I were opening them manually) or to replicate the function of the gimp-file-load-layers procedure in my own plugin while implementing a resolution control.

Anyone have any bright ideas?
GIMP Learn rocks...

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#2 by rich2005 » 26 Feb 2020, 11:18

I do not know how to open a PDF with a specific ppi setting in a Gimp script. Gimp works in pixels so I might do some pre-processing with (say) ImageMagick to convert a PDF into a raster image of a suitable size for Gimp.

What I do know is Gimp will remember the last used PDF imported ppi value, on a per-session basis. Close Gimp and start again.

A quick 1 min 30 sec demo of what I mean about last used ppi value. https://youtu.be/-99z-J_BPEM

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP