2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Misdirect and PM photo attachment

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Lenny
Forum Member

Misdirect and PM photo attachment

Post#1 by Lenny » 08 Apr 2020, 20:56

Tin, I'm getting a lot of misdirect notices, requiring a refresh every few clicks, no matter if I'm in the forum threads or in the user control profile area. It says:

Misdirected Request

The client needs a new connection for this request as the requested host name does not match the Server Name Indication (SNI) in use for this connection.
Apache Server at gimplearn.net Port 443

Is this on your end?

Another question: I tried to attach a jpg in a PM about custom fonts. In the attachment area, there was a yellow triangle with an exclamation point under the title "Status." I thought maybe there's a size limit. The photo was in the 280kb range. I reduced it to 138kb, but the triangle was still there and the photo would not show up in the PM. Could you advise as to the problem?
GIMP Learn rocks...

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#2 by Wallace » 09 Apr 2020, 01:19

Lenny wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 20:56
Tin, I'm getting a lot of misdirect notices, requiring a refresh every few clicks, no matter if I'm in the forum threads or in the user control profile area. It says:

Misdirected Request

The client needs a new connection for this request as the requested host name does not match the Server Name Indication (SNI) in use for this connection.
Apache Server at gimplearn.net Port 443

Is this on your end?

Another question: I tried to attach a jpg in a PM about custom fonts. In the attachment area, there was a yellow triangle with an exclamation point under the title "Status." I thought maybe there's a size limit. The photo was in the 280kb range. I reduced it to 138kb, but the triangle was still there and the photo would not show up in the PM. Could you advise as to the problem?
Sorry you're having this issue.
Unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the file upload issues,
within the PM systen of Gimp Learn.

Have you tried updating you current web browser,
or test if this issue is also present, when using another web browsers?

You can also try Flushing your DNS Cache.
To see if this fixes the other issues.
Why flush your DNS Resolver Cache?

There are many reasons why you may need to flush your DNS Cache,
the most common one being,
that websites aren’t resolving correctly and it may be an issue,
with your DNS cache holding an incorrect address.
To flush the DNS cache follow these steps outlined below:

Open Command Prompt as Administration.
One way to open an administrative Command Prompt.
Is to use the Windows Start menu,
type “command” and you’ll see “Command Prompt” listed as the main result.
Right-click that result and choose “Run as administrator.”

cmd.png
cmd.png (94.16 KiB) Viewed 994 times
Note: It should say "Administrator" on the top of the dialog.
If not, it is not running as admin and
will not function correct to flush the cache.
CMD_Admin.PNG
CMD_Admin.PNG (387.56 KiB) Viewed 994 times
Type in the following command: ipconfig /flushdns
You should receive the following message:
Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache[/i]
CMD_Admin_a.PNG
CMD_Admin_a.PNG (384.44 KiB) Viewed 994 times
Once this is done you can use the command: ipconfig /renew
CMD_Admin_b.PNG
CMD_Admin_b.PNG (483.29 KiB) Viewed 994 times

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by oldmangrumpy » 09 Apr 2020, 11:23

Wallace - I advised Tim some time back that I was continually receiving these 'misdirect' error messages. In fact they became so prevalent that I stopped posting here. I have tried several times since to see if things have improved but no, in fact tonight posting this, some 50% of my 'clicks' brought up the error message, even after following your 'flushdns' solution.

I would have thought that the ISP could/should fix the problem.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by RJKD » 09 Apr 2020, 17:41

You helped me with this issue Wallace. However for me it only fixed it if I use Chrome browser. My preferred browser is Edge and I can't log on using Edge whatsoever.

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#5 by Lenny » 09 Apr 2020, 18:12

Thanks @Wallace for the advice. It didn't work for me. I'm using Firefox 75.0, which just updated yesterday. This started happening before the update too. When combing through the custom fonts (253 pages) last week, I got the misdirect every couple of pages. It's certainly frustrating, but not the end of the world. My favorite is when the misdirect screen appears one last time after I click "logout." I thought maybe this was on Gimp Learn's end, because I don't get a misdirect on Gimp Chat or any other of the many websites I visit on a daily basis.

Thanks for the help. Does anyone know the upload size limit for a jpg in the PM system?
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#6 by tim » 10 Apr 2020, 01:31

Misdirect as far as I read online (and think I understand is, I could be completely wrong) caused by some other site sharing the IP of this site so when users hit that site, then someone else hits gimplearn something is cached and it thinks it's invalid request since it's not the original site.
But it's out of my control. I have contacted my host multiple times and they keep telling me everything looks fine and that they can't help me any further.
I am guess you're getting lots of those errors when other people also hit sites that are shared on my same host (happen to be on the same box).

Attaching images in private messages: I have no idea why it's not working I get the same caution triangle thing. I have checked permissions and everything and everything else seems to allow you to attach images in pm but it doesn't work for me either.
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP