2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How Do I Create Mottled Paper?

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Lenny
Forum Member

Re: How Do I Create Mottled Paper?

Post#11 by Lenny » 16 Apr 2020, 18:05

@Tom, I may have stumbled onto another method, while working on a stubborn faded border. Didn't have time to test it last night, but will try tonight. As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. (Apologies to cat lovers)

Thanks for the encouragement. I've watched Wavelet decompose tutorial several times, but haven't used it yet.

Lately, I seem to have the attention span of a puppy. I see something shiny "over there," and I'm off an running on another tangent. There's just too much to learn.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#12 by Lenny » 18 Apr 2020, 06:46

@Tom, I tried your method successfully for an 8.5 x 11 inch image. There were so many repeats, it created a pattern.

You mentioned inpaint, another filter I didn't know. After I figured out what it wanted - the mask - and then how to do it, I was able to scale the original mottled piece 550%, which took one dimension to 11", then expand canvas size, copy/paste and flip vertical in order to separate the grain pattern, which got me to 8.5" for the other dimension. I ran GMIC inpaint multiscale a few times, eliminating the seam, some dark areas, and some really obvious duplicates in the grain. I don't have access to a printer presently, so I'm not sure whether this actually worked -- whether the grain size is appropriate for an 8.5x11" page. It looks good on the monitor, so here's hoping.

I've also used your idea of adding the midtones with a grain merge layer. Thanks for that.

Still wanting to create papers from scratch, I've had a few happy accidents from my many attempts. I tried to post a photo showing them compared to the original, but for some reason the detail was washed out with a pink tint, making the papers very unattractive. If I can figure that issue out, I'll post some results.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#13 by Lenny » 18 Apr 2020, 17:06

I thought my eyes were just too tired last night and perhaps they were fooling me about the differences in what I see in GIMP and what is uploaded to GL. It was the color that shocked me, but today when I compared my file to the upload, the colors were pretty close. Here is a screenshot of my GIMP screen next to the preview window on GL. Turns out it was the sharpening/contrast.

On the lower left panel, notice how intensely the darker greens are sharpened compared to the same panel in GIMP. The problem is, that compared to my GIMP display, actual display, the panel on the right is sharpened to the same degree again as what you see here. In other words, my actual xcf file is half again as sharp as the panel shown on this photo in GIMP -- much softer, more mottled.

I've attached my xcf file. Would someone compare the sharpness of the xcf on your GIMP display to this post? I tried it in 300px resolution, which I work in, and also scaled to 96px resolution. I thought maybe it was a difference in the resolutions, but the sharpening was still there. I'm relatively new to forums. Can I assume that every photo on GL is that much different than the originals? Is this a phenomenon for forums in general? Is it just my display?

By the way, the upper left panel is the original tidbit of the 1800s mottled paper that I scaled to 8.5X11" and repaired using the inpaint multiscale filter. The other three panels are my happy accidents in trying to create the paper from scratch.
DifferencesGIMP2GL96Res.png
DifferencesGIMP2GL96Res.png (516.64 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Attachments
DifferencesGIMP2GL96Res.xcf
(6.75 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#14 by Tom » 18 Apr 2020, 20:44

I gave it another try from scratch, this time I used a Mypaint brush. I don't know if you have them or not so here is some information about them. https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-mypaint-brush.html
Here are some brushes http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12& ... es#p247458
So this time I made a blank image and used what I thought the most prdominate color for the background and used mypaint brush called Spray.
It dribbles out drops of color and keeps spraying as long as the mouse button is held. I used different colors and then duplicated it and flopped it end for end.
Then a little bump map and finally a little blur.
Mypaint.png
Mypaint.png (384.87 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#15 by Lenny » 19 Apr 2020, 03:41

@Tom, that is exciting. Apparently, I do have My Paint, with about 30 brushes. Can't say I ever noticed it was there. Thanks for the tip and for the link to more brushes.

Well, that is just fun. I also like the spatter and texture12

Looks like I'll have to learn bump map.
GIMP Learn rocks...

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#16 by RJKD » 19 Apr 2020, 15:40

I have been playing with noise (I also have to learn bump-mapping), here are my steps...
Set color (to suit) 3f4746 fill new layer
Filters - Noise - CIE Ich Noise - Dulling 4
Gaussian blur 1.5
Mottled_paperish .jpg
Mottled_paperish .jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#17 by Lenny » 19 Apr 2020, 19:21

@RJKD, that's another great method and I like the outcome. My efforts with mypaint/bump map were less than stellar, but with practice, perhaps I'll rise to somewhere close to @Tom's skill level. I'm having trouble getting the fewer random darker spot fibers to seem natural.

When I stumble onto a decent outcome, I tend to get stuck on that method, with hope it will resolve into just what I want. The thing I love most about this forum is that there's always another way, often better and easier.

I'll try this your way too. Thanks.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#18 by Tom » 20 Apr 2020, 14:17

Tom's skill level ?
No skill, I'm just throwing paint at a blank canvas !
I made this one as 8.5 inches by 11 inches. I'm not to sure how it will look on a decent sized monitor. I did this on my laptop .
I uploaded the jpg instead of png because of the huge file size difference.
mottled.7z
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 44 times

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#19 by Lenny » 20 Apr 2020, 21:44

@Tom, in the spirit of my favorite social climber, Hyacinth Bucket,

HyacinthSkill.jpg
HyacinthSkill.jpg (76.06 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

Thanks for the zipped mottled attempt. I found the background colors to be a bit mosaic-y on my desktop monitor, but the dark fibers were excellent, and just what I've been trying to achieve. Could the mosaic be a result of the bump map? It's good to know that getting the dark fibers right is attainable. On your jpg, I tried three different blurs separately, with nice results, although I like the Selective Gaussian best:
  • Gaussian 6.5
    Median 12 range, other settings default
    Selective Gaussian Radius 48, Max Delta 0.475
I noticed that when I open mypaint, it retains the settings last used. If the dark color was your last function, could you check the settings?

Was anyone else surprised with the differing contrast of my xcf file compared with the posted photos a few posts up? I wonder if an additional pre-blur or contrast change should be added to images just prior to uploading in order to get the online image as close to the original as possible. I'm going to play around with that idea to see if it makes a difference.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Tom
Forum Member

Post#20 by Tom » 21 Apr 2020, 16:12

The darkest greens look like a different color on my cheap TN panel laptop.
I made a little pdf of bump mapping, I hope it doesn't raise more questions than it answers.
When you select the source for the bumpmap it appears you have to double click it or select it and hit enter.
BumpMap.pdf
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP